KubotaBX23s Starting problem

TheMurf

Equipment
BX1880.with loader and 48 inch deck. 1990 Gravel 12G Riding tractor.
Jun 25, 2022
Upstate New York
If you turn the key on and your not getting dash lights, I would then check to see if the battery is fully charged. Get a test light and ground it to the negative terminal them touch it to the positive post and see if it lights.No light, dead battery. Next if it does light check to see how many volts are in it with a meter. Anything less then 12 volts it's dead. Should have 14 volts or more in it..Still not cranking over, if cables are tight,check a main fuse, I don't know if Kubota has a fuse, check a shop manual,but my old Gravely did and occasionally they go. Put a new fuse in it to be sure. Same amperage as the one you remove.. If it still doesn't start

Take a test light and check if there's power at the starter.. If so, jump across the relay and see if it cranks over..be careful make sure the tractor is out of gear and the brake is set in park. I use a screwdriver to jump across the relay, there juice there ( if the battery is good),so make sure no sparks gets to anything that could ignite. If, it turns over jumping the relay, I would say get a new one..the relay is bad. Make sure the cables are clean and tight at the starter too..A loose connection will cause the tractor to not spin over too.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Does anyone ever read the entire thread to see if their suggestions have already been made, and the answers that the original poster has made to specific questions? Here is a synopsis of questions and answers...

Question: did you check connections at the battery and the battery itself?

Reply: I brought a new battery and I checked the connections and measured the voltage several times.

Suggestion (post #5):
Take jumper cables and bypass the battery cables by attaching the jumper cable to the starter positive post and to the starter attachment bolts for ground. See if that changes anything. If so, replace the battery cables.

Next try to just apply 12 volts to the solenoid spade connection and the starter should crank the engine. But it should not start with the key turned off. If it does crank, you can do this next step with great caution since you will not be safely sitting on the tractor. If it cranks then something like a safety switch or relay is stopping power from getting power to the solenoid.

Turn key to run position and then apply power to the solenoid spade and tractor should start unless there is some safety switch that will prevent it from running. If it does crank and run then figure out why power is not getting to the starter solenoid.

There is probably a main fuse somewhere near the battery or the starter so it may be blown. Was that in the “checked all”?

Suggestion (post #8):
NO lights on dash.... good indicator that the main sloblow fuse( 50A) is blown.

ALL power except starter motor goes through the 50A sloblo fuse....

Jay

Reply:
Just checked - you’re RIGHT!!
Now I gotta find who in rural Hawaii has that fuse
Thank you very much

Follow Up Reply:
Yes what the heck happened?
Thank you all
Got the original in my hand
Will try both NAPA and the link
If can I’ll buy both-rather have both in my hand
My time alone is worth more than the fuse…I think

We now return you to the normally scheduled program. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

FattyArbuckle

May 28, 2023
Commonwealth of Pennsylvania
I'm a little late to this party but two things...
1) On some models, like my '08 BX2360, when you apply power directly to the solenoid you are bypassing all safeties and the engine will not only crank it will likely start - even if the key is off.
2) If you have trouble with the maze-type electrical schematics, my schematics might be of help (assuming your 23 is the same as my BX2360).

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
are you versed in how to do a voltage drop test?

If so, start testing, start at the source (battery) and work your way back. Don't forget the earth (ground) side of things, as you know those are quite important.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Does anyone ever read the entire thread to see if their suggestions have already been made, and the answers that the original poster has made to specific questions? Here is a synopsis of questions and answers...
To answer your question in a word.......Nope.

Theres this strange phenomena that exists. I have no idea what its called, but when you think you have the correct answer, your instinct is to just "blurt it out" , consequences be damned!

Very similar to a classroom when 10 kids try yelling the answer at the same time. 🍻 LOL

I'm guilty of it myself.

Olbuck75

Equipment
Kubota Tractor BX23
Aug 18, 2023
Kamuela, HI
Yes what the heck happened?
Thank you all
Got the original in my hand
Will try both NAPA and the link
If can I’ll buy both-rather have both in my hand
My time alone is worth more than the fuse…I think
Hi everyone
Mechanic met me at farm yesterday
Disconnected and reconnected all wires-that got the lights for the panel on
Tested all relays, replaced the Fuel Stop solenoid relay
Determined that Fuel Stop Solenoid was was very sticky, intermittent
Got tractor started
I ordered new Fuel Stop Solenoid and a few other parts he suggested I keep on hand
Thank everyone
I love this site

Reactions: 2 users