Kubota Super UDT2 Trans-Hydraulic Fluid Shelf Life & How to remove one of the drain plugs

edisonck

Equipment
MX5800, RCR1872 Rotary Cutter, DH2596 Disc Harrow, Ford 860, Ford 3-bottom plow
Mar 9, 2020
Chaska, MN
I am sure this has been discussed before, but I didn't find the answer when I did a search. Short story... I did a number of the required maintenance actions on my MX5800. I have a couple of questions:

1.) I ended up having some left over UDT2 fluid in a 5-gallon bucket. What is the shelf life of it?
2.) Is an hex key the best way to remove the plug the one non-bolt plug? I didn't have a hex key large enough...
2.a.) I read in a few posts that plug is not required to remove and drain if the others are as no residual fluid will remain. Is that true?

I was only able to drain ~10.5 gallons of the projected 11.6 gallons.

Thanks all!

Ed

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ed - - -

As long as properly sealed and protected from water/dirt, your pail of SUDT2 has no shelf life in my mind. It's sealed from the atmosphere. Doesn't take on condensation, etc.

It's more exposed when it's in the tractor, as the hydraulic system is vented to the environment, and can take on moisture.

As far as one of the drain "plugs" requiring an hex key, different from other plugs, I REALLY question that.

I'm no help, since I don't know your tractor. Best to consult your owner's manual, or better yet a Workshop Manual (WSM).

Might be able to get one or both from these places:

Kubotabooks.com

Kubota Tractor User Manuals Download | ManualsLib

Last edited:

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
I am sure this has been discussed before, but I didn't find the answer when I did a search. Short story... I did a number of the required maintenance actions on my MX5800. I have a couple of questions:

1.) I ended up having some left over UDT2 fluid in a 5-gallon bucket. What is the shelf life of it?
2.) Is an hex key the best way to remove the plug the one non-bolt plug? I didn't have a hex key large enough...
2.a.) I read in a few posts that plug is not required to remove and drain if the others are as no residual fluid will remain. Is that true?

I was only able to drain ~10.5 gallons of the projected 11.6 gallons.

Thanks all!

Ed
If the plug is a hex socket head plug the proper tool is a hex key - I prefer 3/8" drive socket style.

The open bucket of SUDT2 will last years if you keep it covered and clean. You will probably use it up as makeup oil long before that.

Dan

Reactions: 1 user

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ed - - follow up to your 10.5 drained versus 11.6 capacity question.

Surprised you got 10.5 out.

Capacities are often listed as that for a new/dry piece of equipment. Don't get it all out in a drain. If you fill with rated capacity, in many cases you will overfill.

Use the dipstick or sightglass on your tractor to fill it. When either says full..it is!

Just check it after some time to make sure it still reads full.

My little BX is rated for 3+ quarts motor oil. Last week didn't get 3 in it on refill. Ran it a little, checked again and dropped a little from filling filter, but still full, or close enough that I won't fret over it.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas

MapleLeafFarmer

Equipment
Lots incl. B and L kubotas
Dec 2, 2019
E.
like others before have siad - cool/dry/sealed storage says should be good for very long time.
if you want to read detail from the manufacturer (or even compare other brands of fluids) the SDS from Valvoline for UDT2 reads:

SECTION 10. STABILITY AND REACTIVITY
Reactivity : No decomposition if stored and applied as directed.
Chemical stability : Stable under recommended storage conditions.
Possibility of hazardous reactions: Product will not undergo hazardous polymerization.
Conditions to avoid: excessive heat

here is Valvoline SDS if interested in that kinda stuff:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ed - - you should definitely check a manual. There are two "plugs" listed in the Parts Diagrams at Kubota Tractor Corporation - Illustrated Parts List (kubotausa.com)

One is a hex key, the other is a 'normal' hex bolt plug.

This #240 looks like the Hex Key Plug you're asking about. Looks like you don't have to pull it, but I defer to Manuals.

Screenshot 2023-04-07 185238.png

Again, I defer to Manuals, but this #090 looks to be a real drain plug at a lowest point:

Screenshot 2023-04-07 185122.png

mcfarmall

Equipment
Kubota M5660SUHD, Farmall C
Sep 11, 2013
Kalamazoo, MI
The single biggest breakthrough for sales has been the invention of the expiration date.

Reactions: 4 users

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The single biggest breakthrough for sales has been the invention of the expiration date.
Yep. I have some commercially-smoked salmon in several vacuum-packs purchased in Spring of 2020, which has an expiration date of June 2021. We only open one when we want smoked salmon. It tastes as good this week as it did two years ago.

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Is this a hydrostat? Seems I remember someone pulling the wrong 'plug' and if was a pivot for the pump swash plate that caused an expensive repair. Be careful.

edisonck

Equipment
Mar 9, 2020
Chaska, MN
Thanks, all! You are all so great. I appreciate all of your feedback and many posts make me laugh in the process.

I have a MX5800 HST.

Here's the scoop... I am not overly mechanically inclined, but can read and follow instructions. So I CLOSELY follow my operators manual instructions for the use of my tractor and when performing maintenance- step by step... Of course, I am human and can miss things.

I knew I needed a hex tool and thought that I had one at the farm that would work. Well... Not the case. I need to buy one. It will be interesting to see if removing that plug actually results in draining additional fluid as many people have suggested that will not be the case.

RCW- That '090' plug you referenced appears to be the 'main' plug as the fluid POURED out quickly when I opened that one and the vast majority of the fluid removed came from there (? 85%). It came out so fast that I had to do some comical looking bucket/container swaps. I am glad no one was watching me!

Follow-up question on the UDT2 fluid: In your opinion, what is "proper storage"? I have it stored in the resealed 5-gallon bucket in a pole shed in Wisconsin. Obviously, the temperature, humidity, etc. swings are dramatic. Should I be storing it in the basement of my house?

Thanks again!

Ed

PS- Between removing the motor, front axle (long story) and transmission/hydraulic oil, putting in new and moving the used oil to recycling containers, this process was messy! I am sure there is a way to do this process more effectively, but I had to use a fair share of oil dry!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
SO TRUE !
My wife will throw anything/everything away if it is one day past the printed expiration date.
Drives me crazy!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Thanks, all! You are all so great. I appreciate all of your feedback and many posts make me laugh in the process.

I have a MX5800 HST.

Here's the scoop... I am not overly mechanically inclined, but can read and follow instructions. So I CLOSELY follow my operators manual instructions for the use of my tractor and when performing maintenance- step by step... Of course, I am human and can miss things.

I knew I needed a hex tool and thought that I had one at the farm that would work. Well... Not the case. I need to buy one. It will be interesting to see if removing that plug actually results in draining additional fluid as many people have suggested that will not be the case.

RCW- That '090' plug you referenced appears to be the 'main' plug as the fluid POURED out quickly when I opened that one and the vast majority of the fluid removed came from there (? 85%). It came out so fast that I had to do some comical looking bucket/container swaps. I am glad no one was watching me!

Follow-up question on the UDT2 fluid: In your opinion, what is "proper storage"? I have it stored in the resealed 5-gallon bucket in a pole shed in Wisconsin. Obviously, the temperature, humidity, etc. swings are dramatic. Should I be storing it in the basement of my house?

Thanks again!

Ed

PS- Between removing the motor, front axle (long story) and transmission/hydraulic oil, putting in new and moving the used oil to recycling containers, this process was messy! I am sure there is a way to do this process more effectively, but I had to use a fair share of oil dry!
A sealed bucket should be fine even outdoors. The two properties that make SUDT2 "special" are its lower viscosity/very high viscosity index and ability to tolerate high humidity.

Dan

Reactions: 1 users

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
For your next drain operation use a big plastic tray that is used in masonry projects. Go to the big box hardware store and look in the masonry section for a large black plastic rectangular tub about 10 inches deep that is used to mix cement/grout in. Use it underneath two or three five gallon buckets and drain into the buckets and move them around as they fill up to about 4 gallons of fluid. Then you can swap out the full bucket with an empty bucket while the next bucket is full. If you’re doing this on concrete then you may want to use another tray to set the full bucket in since it will probably have some fluid that runs down the side or slosh out as you move it.

Reactions: 1 users

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The 4 drain plugs on your tractor are all removable using a socket or box-end wrench There is a drain on the bottom of each final drive, one in the rear axle housing and one in the transmission housing.

edisonck

Equipment
Mar 9, 2020
Chaska, MN
The 4 drain plugs on your tractor are all removable using a socket or box-end wrench There is a drain on the bottom of each final drive, one in the rear axle housing and one in the transmission housing.
Unless I was looking at the wrong one, and some of the videos I watched were incorrect, not on the MX5800. I could use a socket on 3 of the 4 plugs. However, the one towards the front of the tractor required a hex wrench.

JP_Austin

Equipment
2021 Kubota M4D-071
Feb 15, 2022
Austin TX
For your next drain operation use a big plastic tray that is used in masonry projects. Go to the big box hardware store and look in the masonry section for a large black plastic rectangular tub about 10 inches deep that is used to mix cement/grout in. Use it underneath two or three five gallon buckets and drain into the buckets and move them around as they fill up to about 4 gallons of fluid. Then you can swap out the full bucket with an empty bucket while the next bucket is full. If you’re doing this on concrete then you may want to use another tray to set the full bucket in since it will probably have some fluid that runs down the side or slosh out as you move it.

Or a kiddie pool. I use a kiddie pool for paint buckets as well when spraying big jobs. Sure makes clean up a whole lot easier.