Kubota R520/S/ST

Special_K_Side

Equipment
R-520,S,ST
Aug 5, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
Hey folks! Newbie here! A retired Computer Systems Engineer recently returned to the work force and now maintaining Kubota R520/S/ST, Toyota aforklifts, Mini-Dumpers (F-450/550) for a landscape company that never believed in preventative maintenance. Just run them till they’re broken then pay the bills too repair! Luckily I can trouble shoot and fix most things fast! From over heating loaders, or blown front and rear ends, hydraulic leaks and electrical issues. The list is huge! 1.5 years into being their “MacGyver” and the crappy farm boy repairs (gotta remember farm boys, they get things fixed fast, but forget about their Jerry-rigging faster!”New to this forum but have seen it many times while I search for answers! Most searches here give me some guidance and I thank you all! I will endeavour too spread my small experience!thanks all!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Welcome to the forum, but relax a bit about your impression of crappy farm boy repairs. There are some farm boys here that may (or may not) choose to offer assistance if you belittle them. ;)

Reactions: 1 user

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
No “farm boy” repairs on the Kubota yet, but know what you mean. Whatever it takes in the field to limp through until the job is finished and get it back to the shop to fix it right. Then three years later still running the throttle with an old boot lace binder clipped to the left side of the dash. Not that I’ve ever done that… 😜

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Don't presume all farm boys make cobbled repairs, even temporarily. I'm guessing many of the inept repairs you describe are made by "city slickers" working in a factory setting.

Special_K_Side

Equipment
R-520,S,ST
Aug 5, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
No “farm boy” repairs on the Kubota yet, but know what you mean. Whatever it takes in the field to limp through until the job is finished and get it back to the shop to fix it right. Then three years later still running the throttle with an old boot lace binder clipped to the left side of the dash. Not that I’ve ever done that… 😜

oh that is awesome! I came into this place of work with bypassed fuel pump power lines draped over engine, vacuum hose used as bypass from from below thermostat to water pump (the list goes on) if fixed right and not forgotten about in awhile no worries! However on your line of thinking…. Last November we lost a throttle cable on a 520s. None to be found in North America. So I just bought an$8 motorcycle brake cable, rethreaded the housing, bought a grade 8 bolt some washers and nuts, drilled it and ran the cable up through the cotter pin hole on the throttle peddle arm and justly said to the boss “ if it lasts 2 weeks I will be amazed, a month, dumb founded, 3 months stupefied , 6 months if it breaks I will wonder who the heck thought of this!” I documented the repair and it is still running strong. Got the replacement throttle cable in but replacing it is annoying soo! I will leave my “Farm Boy”/ “MacGyver” repair in place for now!