Kubota M7060HDC A/C Belt Tensioner

jomch

Equipment
Kubota L3300
Jul 25, 2021
Georgia
Trying to replace the bolt tensioner for the A/C belt. I have the parts - tensioner bolt, lock nut and 2 nuts for the end of the bolt. Installed all, just as the diagram shows, but when I tensioned the belt the two bottom nuts just fell off because you have to turn the tensioner bolt counterclockwise to set the tension. What am I doing wrong? Thanks!!

Hkb82

Equipment
M7060, Ford 5600, can-am defender
Nov 17, 2021
Ontario Canada
If bolts are falling out I’m gonna say your probably doing something wrong. I’ll have to have a look at mine today to refresh my memory but I changed it a year or two ago and did not have any issues like you described. A few pictures might help you get answers from others that don’t have the m7060. I’ll try and have a look and post back asap

jomch

Equipment
Kubota L3300
Jul 25, 2021
Georgia
If bolts are falling out I’m gonna say your probably doing something wrong. I’ll have to have a look at mine today to refresh my memory but I changed it a year or two ago and did not have any issues like you described. A few pictures might help you get answers from others that don’t have the m7060. I’ll try and have a look and post back asap
Thank you! The two bottom nuts seem to be there to 'pull' the tension shaft as you turn the tensioner bolt counterclockwise. But, of course, as you turn counterclockwise, the two bottom nuts come off. Parts are all Kubota OEM.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thank you! The two bottom nuts seem to be there to 'pull' the tension shaft as you turn the tensioner bolt counterclockwise. But, of course, as you turn counterclockwise, the two bottom nuts come off. Parts are all Kubota OEM.
The two bottom nuts are jam nuts i.e. they need to be tight against each other so that they can't rotate? You could apply some blue or red Loctite and tighten them against each other. I have an M6060 but it's the same engine and took some photos of the tensioner. The top nut is obviously a lock nut which you'd loosen, and then turn the long bolt counterclockwise which would move the pulley upwards. Once the belt tension is good you'd tighten the lock nut against the casting.

It sounds like your bottom jam nuts are not tight enough against each other and so they're able to rotate relative to the long bolt as you're turning it counterclockwise.

ac_tensioner_1.jpg

ac_tensioner_2.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

jomch

Equipment
Kubota L3300
Jul 25, 2021
Georgia
The two bottom nuts are jam nuts i.e. they need to be tight against each other so that they can't rotate? You could apply some blue or red Loctite and tighten them against each other. I have an M6060 but it's the same engine and took some photos of the tensioner. The top nut is obviously a lock nut which you'd loosen, and then turn the long bolt counterclockwise which would move the pulley upwards. Once the belt tension is good you'd tighten the lock nut against the casting.

It sounds like your bottom jam nuts are not tight enough against each other and so they're able to rotate relative to the long bolt as you're turning it counterclockwise.

View attachment 103811

View attachment 103812
Thank you for this information. The original bottom nuts seemed to be a little different and when I ordered them, I saw that they were 'replaced'. That along with the extreme difficulty of getting a wrench in there, I thought there must be a different configuration -- WRONG! Bottom line, you are absolutely correct and I hasve been able to get these nuts 'jammed' together. Thanks again!
Joe

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Thank you for this information. The original bottom nuts seemed to be a little different and when I ordered them, I saw that they were 'replaced'. That along with the extreme difficulty of getting a wrench in there, I thought there must be a different configuration -- WRONG! Bottom line, you are absolutely correct and I hasve been able to get these nuts 'jammed' together. Thanks again!
Joe
I tried to get a better view of the nuts underneath the idler this morning. I have an automotive mirror and should have used that yesterday but maybe these images will help someone else now that you have it sorted. It does look like two nuts that are jammed together.

ac_tensioner_3.jpg

ac_tensioner_4.jpg

jomch

Equipment
Kubota L3300
Jul 25, 2021
Georgia
I tried to get a better view of the nuts underneath the idler this morning. I have an automotive mirror and should have used that yesterday but maybe these images will help someone else now that you have it sorted. It does look like two nuts that are jammed together.

View attachment 103874

View attachment 103875
mcmxi--Maybe you are familiar with this as well. The A/C fan belt needs tightening continually. What are your thoughts? Thank you!

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
mcmxi--Maybe you are familiar with this as well. The A/C fan belt needs tightening continually. What are your thoughts? Thank you!
Belts will stretch initially, but at some point they typically stop. That's been my experience at least with numerous vehicles over the years.

allenscott

Equipment
M6060
Aug 25, 2023
NC
Joe
I have the same problem and I'm trying to figure out how to get the nuts jammed together also? Help!!!

jomch

Equipment
Kubota L3300
Jul 25, 2021
Georgia

jomch

Equipment
Kubota L3300
Jul 25, 2021
Georgia
The area is very tight, as I'm sure you know. To give yourself more room you have to remove the the tensioner pulley. I found you could hold the bottom nuts with a needle nose pliers while you turn the tensioner bolt to attach and repeat for the other nut. Hope this helps.

allenscott

Equipment
M6060
Aug 25, 2023
NC
The area is very tight, as I'm sure you know. To give yourself more room you have to remove the the tensioner pulley. I found you could hold the bottom nuts with a needle nose pliers while you turn the tensioner bolt to attach and repeat for the other nut. Hope this helps.
Thank you my friend!

joehoe

Equipment
M5040
Jun 20, 2024
Missouri
Do you have part number on the tensioner bolt? my bottom half is stripped out and can't find the parts diagram that shows which one. M5040 looks like the same assembly as yours.