Kubota M62, Or used Commercial Case, JD, JCB. Or Mini Ex?

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
^This is actually been on my mind too. Or talking to tree companies to take them all out and haul away. They would be done quick. And I can watch from the deck with a stogie and scotch....
But in the end I still need a TLB or excavator to plant trees.... maybe a BX TLB would do for that!

Saw a YT video where the guy got paid for the lumber... but I don't know if mostly maple and some pine is worth anything.

Thanks too all.
Good pine and maple do have sawlog value. I don’t know the quality of your timber. Talk to your state forestry or a consulting forester. You may have the option for a small timber sale.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Find someone who does stump grinding and get a quote from them on how much it would cost to get a whole bunch of stumps ground out. Have them come out and look over what you want done. Then use that cost to help determine what is the best course of action. Stump grinding will disturb a lot less soil than digging, which if you are on hills could be advantages.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Thank you all.

I plan to extract trees and stumps over an area about 5 acres. But it might grow into 10 acres. Then plant apple and cherry trees. It's Wisconsin.

Time is on my side because the new trees, (24"box size), won't be mature enuf to seriously produce until I'm in my 70's ..
or dead.

It's more of a future plan for my kids and grand kids... and something to do... for me and the wife.

Thank you.
I recently had the pleasure of buying a (295 hr) M62 for a friend.
I spent HIS $63,500!
Friend loves the M62!
Big differences between M62 and mini-ex are the ground travel speed, and the lack of a loader bucket on the mini-ex.
The mini-ex is great for simple digging, and small bucket bites for truck loading,,....but not much else.
M62 is a much more all around useful machine........Swiss army knife!
Unfortunately, there is no alternative to DPF on any 62HP machine.

Last edited:

Smokeydog

Equipment
M59, B26 grapples, backhoes, tillers, graders, diesel atv
Jun 2, 2020
knoxville, Tennessee
Have no experience with newer tier IV emissions equipment.

With my hobby farm, chore tractor and puttering around sure appreciate the pre tier IV, 2014 M59. Like keeping low rpms and shutdown frequently.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Have no experience with newer tier IV emissions equipment.

With my hobby farm, chore tractor and puttering around sure appreciate the pre tier IV, 2014 M59. Like keeping low rpms and shutdown frequently.
Definitely not how the emissions control stuff likes to be operated!

Reactions: 1 user

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
B8200HST-DP , RC60-82h Mower Deck, Woods RB6 Rear Blade, Homemade Carry All
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Not that my experience is any different from the rest but when I needed the use of a bigger piece of equipment i either borrowed it, case 580e, or hired out the job. In the long run it was cheaper. A case of beer and gas money is cheap for a Case 580e FEL/BH and $750 for 3 hours with an EX, labor included. I know part of me would love to be able to afford lots of equipment and the old man in me hates paying for it.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Not that my experience is any different from the rest but when I needed the use of a bigger piece of equipment i either borrowed it, case 580e, or hired out the job. In the long run it was cheaper. A case of beer and gas money is cheap for a Case 580e FEL/BH and $750 for 3 hours with an EX, labor included. I know part of me would love to be able to afford lots of equipment and the old man in me hates paying for it.
How much "cheaper" is it,...... when you only need the bigger machine for an hour or two?

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
How much "cheaper" is it,...... when you only need the bigger machine for an hour or two?
I don't know what you are asking. For me gas and beer is cheaper then owning and upkeep of a machine. The job at $750 was cheaper then buying one at $60k used.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I don't know what you are asking. For me gas and beer is cheaper then owning and upkeep of a machine. The job at $750 was cheaper then buying one at $60k used.
So........when you periodically need a larger machine for a hour, or so.....,......you just go and rent one?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
So........when you periodically need a larger machine for a hour, or so.....,......you just go and rent one?
He said:
when I needed the use of a bigger piece of equipment i either borrowed it, case 580e, or hired out the job. In the long run it was cheaper. A case of beer and gas money is cheap for a Case 580e FEL/BH and $750 for 3 hours with an EX, labor included.
So yes, when he needs a bigger machine he borrows or rents or hires it out.

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
Guys

I never made enough money to be in the "Die with the most toys" club. I have found deals on case 580's, but $6k outlay plus upkeep, plus storage, plus insurance, plus plus..... It just doesn't make sense for me.

I spent 2 hours yesterday looking at pieces of equipment online in Wisconsin. I found a piece of equipment in PA for the OP in that $6k price range that might work for his job, based on everyones advice. I like doing research it's part of my job.

In the end it's only his wants that will win in the end. It sounds like a great project.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I don't borrow someone else's machines. I'd rather spend my money fixing my machine, not his if/when it breaks. I simply pay them to operate their machine to do my job. Then no questions can arise.

GrassLakeRon

Equipment
Oct 27, 2023
Grass Lake, Michigan
I don't borrow someone else's machines. I'd rather spend my money fixing my machine, not his if/when it breaks. I simply pay them to operate their machine to do my job. Then no questions can arise.
That is a possibility. I borrowed a Vermeer hydrospade. During the month I had it two pieces broke. I don't know why, but I called the dealer, ordered both pieces and replaced them. I called the owner, took photos and he was onsite when I replaced them. So $300 for a months use. He has told me if I ever need it again just ask. I'm above board and honest.

Reactions: 1 user

bsekf

Premium Member

Equipment
m5400
Jul 27, 2013
Western NY
We are in a rural area and have several guys that "do it all" . One is cutting my ash and at the same time did a big driveway and some land clearing for a neighbor, He is going to clean a ditch for us when he is through logging. He has a tracked SS, an excavator, 450 dozer and two skidders. Semi, low boy and a big 5th wheel trailer. We have a 50 and 70 hp tractors with FELs so I can clean up after him. But he can do everything cheaper and has to maintain the equipment.

No stogie, but a glass of bourbon watching him.

fried1765

Equipment
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
He said:

So yes, when he needs a bigger machine he borrows or rents or hires it out.
How does that work out, when that bigger machine is needed once each month?

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
How does that work out, when that bigger machine is needed once each month?
I see the theme to your comments.

If you needed a big machine often, and only for small periods of time, then driving to the rental shop, picking it up, paying a day rental, dragging it home, using it for an hour, then taking it all back, would probably be false economy.

If you only need it once or twice a year, and you have a neighbour with a big machine who'll pop over and do some work, and you give him a case of beer, well, that's quite different. Specially if he sits down with you and drinks the case of beer afterwards.

Horses for courses, as always.