Kubota L2900 GST electrical problem

Jim Vibert

Equipment
L 2900 GST
Jun 26, 2019
OTTAWA, KS, USA
My L2900 has an electrical problem. No lights when I turn on the key. No start, nothing. I have 12 volts at the switch battery post. Starter has 12 volts, the slow burn fuse (40A) is good. All power disappears at the switch battery post when turned on. I have the schematic on the electrical switch. I can't see anywhere that the power, once at the switch should "disappear" with turning the key. Bought a new switch but that did not accomplish anything other than reducing my checking account. Stumped in Kansas. Forgot to mention that the battery is good as is the ground.

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Where the ground cable connects to the frame is good? Does it click or do anything when you try to start it?

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Jim, what Fordtech86 is saying....remove the ground where it connects to the frame and clean to a shine the frame and ground lug. You can have new battery, switch, wires, etc. but if that ground isn't making a good connection you have no circuit!

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
After you clean it, apply some di-electric grease to the connection and use a toothed lockwasher to insure you have a good connection.

Jim Vibert

Equipment
L 2900 GST
Jun 26, 2019
OTTAWA, KS, USA
Where the ground cable connects to the frame is good? Does it click or do anything when you try to start it?
A month ago I had the problem and it was the ground. It was cleaned and all was well. When this happened I ran a second ground cable just to make sure. I'll check everything again. Thanks. As one pushes 80 one "sometimes" overlooks things.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Jim, good to have you on the forum. If you can't figure it out I'd be glad to come over and take a look. I saw your web site, and it looks like you folks know how to grow a garden! I'm located about 2 miles south of Paola/ Osawatomie airport.

Jim Vibert

Equipment
L 2900 GST
Jun 26, 2019
OTTAWA, KS, USA
I pulled the old battery ground and replaced it. Attached to the frame this time not sheet metal as the old one. Ground to bare steel, greased and new bolt, etc. Still no power. However, I did get the dash lights to light up once but they went out when I turned to start. Then did not come on again in subsequent tries. I am wondering if there might be a ground problem back through the system. I can't see anything on my schematic but not being an electrician i am at a loss.

Jim L.

Jun 18, 2014
Texas
Jim, you've got bad connections. One way to troubleshoot would be to bypass with a jumper conductor, first on the ground, then on the plus side; and continue to eliminate down to bad spots.

If I were in your position, I would accept D2Cat's gracious offer to help. You'd be way ahead by doing that.

Jim Vibert

Equipment
L 2900 GST
Jun 26, 2019
OTTAWA, KS, USA
Thank you for the offer. I'll try to muddle through for now. My electrician who fixed it last for me is scheduled for this weekend. If that doesn't work I may take you up on your offer. I tried to post the schematic but my skills failed me.

Last edited:

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Have you tried to jump start it? And sure the battery is good? Load test the battery. Don’t have the wiring diagram but load test the positive cable from battery to starter. If you have a volt meter, take one lead and put it on the positive battery terminal. Take the other lead and put it on the big positive post on the starter. If you read any voltage over 1 volt or so then there is resistance in the positive cable.

ttpp

Oct 17, 2017
CA
Do you have an old(I mean old)headlight capsule say a 6014 or a 6054(big round or big square) only one side has to light(voltage & amp load)
Now what ever side of light work(a positive & a negative) put 2 wires on it(there are 3 terminals)test it across a good battery does it light(yes or no) once yes leave wires on light
Now go to tractor put 1 wire on positive @ battery & 1 negative try to start tractor does it start no,does light stay lite yes/no if it does leave 1 wire on positive & put other to other end of ground try to start no? Light say lite yes/no
At any time light stay lite you connections good if it goes out connection bad
Simple
Repeat till you find your bad connection should take 30 minutes to check every power & ground point on tractor
Paul

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

Jim Vibert

Equipment
L 2900 GST
Jun 26, 2019
OTTAWA, KS, USA
Jim, good to have you on the forum. If you can't figure it out I'd be glad to come over and take a look. I saw your web site, and it looks like you folks know how to grow a garden! I'm located about 2 miles south of Paola/ Osawatomie airport.
My electrician didn't make it out to Ottawa last weekend so I am still at my position of knowing nothing. If your offer is still out there I would appreciate any help or suggestions. You can contact me on Facebook or via email jwvibert@gmail.com