Kubota L175 starter makes noise when I connect negative battery cable and key is off

pa1203

Equipment
L175
Apr 26, 2016
williston
I was also curious about two other things in you pictures that I noticed.

There is some type of round gauge above the starter and a blue wire that is not connected to anything.

When looking for wiring diagrams I could not locate any for the L175. But I noticed on most similar vintage models the blue wire was for the engine oil pressure sensor.

I assume the blue wire was connected to the sensor and that was removed and replaced by some sort of pressure gauge. Why the gauge is not up on the dash is anyone’s guess.

But anyway I don’t think you need to worry about that blue wire since it is not a live wire and won’t do anything if it comes into contact with anything. It might turn the low oil pressure light on if grounded out.

Personally I would want some indication of low oil pressure on the dash and I would try to get the correct sensor and wire it in again. But that may just creating a problem showing low oil pressure and something else to worry about.

I assume that you don’t have to have the tractor operational and if/when it completely dies you will be sad but not devastated.

pa1203

Equipment
L175
Apr 26, 2016
williston
When you first post a thread at the bottom of your post "box" underneath the attach files portion there is a small box labeled "watch this thread". If you check that box you should get notifications in your profile of replies.
Under that box is another box labeled "and receive email notifications". If you check that box you should get emails every time someone posts.

If you don't check those when you post you won't receive notifications.
I don't know if you can go back and check them afterwards or not.

As far as your starter.

Starter has 2 parts. Big "barrel" is the starter motor itself. This is what actually spins the engine.
Small "barrel" is the starter solenoid. It's a switch that allows power to flow to the starter motor.
Normally battery power is waiting at the starter. When you turn the key, power flows through the small wire and closes the solenoid, which allows battery power to flow through the large wire to the starter motor itself.

it sounds like the solenoid is stuck closed, so power is always allowed to flow to the starter, not just when the key is turned on.
Or, less likely, the contact at the key is stuck closed, closing the solenoid, ect.

Tapping it with a hammer (not too hard) may loosen it.
It may also need to be taken apart and cleaned/rebuilt.
Looking at the condition of everything else it may not hurt to take it apart and clean it.
Thanks for the info. So you think the problem is the solenoid and not the starter?

pa1203

Equipment
L175
Apr 26, 2016
williston
I was also curious about two other things in you pictures that I noticed.

There is some type of round gauge above the starter and a blue wire that is not connected to anything.

When looking for wiring diagrams I could not locate any for the L175. But I noticed on most similar vintage models the blue wire was for the engine oil pressure sensor.

I assume the blue wire was connected to the sensor and that was removed and replaced by some sort of pressure gauge. Why the gauge is not up on the dash is anyone’s guess.

But anyway I don’t think you need to worry about that blue wire since it is not a live wire and won’t do anything if it comes into contact with anything. It might turn the low oil pressure light on if grounded out.

Personally I would want some indication of low oil pressure on the dash and I would try to get the correct sensor and wire it in again. But that may just creating a problem showing low oil pressure and something else to worry about.

I assume that you don’t have to have the tractor operational and if/when it completely dies you will be sad but not devastated.
Hi Russell I think im giving up on my l175.
what are your thoughts on a kubota L2850 4wd diesel with loader for $5,500. Apparently it’s been well maintained and serviced. It has 416 hrs. And everything works!!!! Yeah!!!!!. My brother is offering to buy it for me but I want to make sure it’s worth it. What do you suggest I pay attention to, that is, if you think it’s worth it. Thanks and happy 4th