Kubota D902 Engine in Mobile GDT Tower

nashobadog1

Equipment
Mobile GDT Tower w/D902 Kubota Engine
Jul 24, 2011
Fort Smith, AR
I am a DOD contractor overseas and they have shipped me a new piece of equipment, A Mobile Tower, powered by a Kubota D902 Engine/coupled with a 5-10 KW generator. It has a deep sea integrated computer controller. They did not send any service,repair or parts manuals with this equipment. The problem is: The engine will crank, but will not start. I have bled the fuel lines (Return) all the way back to the tank. But, when I crack the injector lines I get no fuel from the injection pump. I think I have tried everything and I firmly believe that the injection pump is defective. Any advice would be welcome.

JWB

Jan 3, 2010
florida
The fuel lines from the tank to the injector pump my need to be bled first. Then bleed each injector line at the injector. If your Engine has a hand pump (I'm not sure about what you got) it is usually located on top of the filter. Then pump it till you build pressure in the lines. It some times takes several tries to get the lines bled. I doubt that the injector pump is bad. It is possible but I doubt it. Good luck and let us know. DO NOT USE starting fluid.

nashobadog1

Equipment
Jul 24, 2011
Fort Smith, AR
This unit does not have the hand pump. It has an electric pump. I have bled the fuel coming from the tank to the fuel filter, fuel filter to injector pump, injector pump thru return lines, rreturn lines back to tank. I have fuel going to the injector pump but no fuel coming from the injector pump to the injectors. I can understand if these are extremely hard to bleed, but this controller will only crank 15 seconds at a time. Thanks for the reply. You guys are the only source I have. I am in remote Afghanistan.

nashobadog1

Equipment
Jul 24, 2011
Fort Smith, AR
I have access to a D905 and a D1105 Injector pump. Both look similiar to what I have on this unit. Professional opinions? Will these pumps work on the D902 ?

nashobadog1

Equipment
Jul 24, 2011
Fort Smith, AR
Also, without the manual here, If memory serves me right. Before changing the injector pump, the #1 Cylinder must be in the TDC position?

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
The electric solenoid is pushing the fuel control to the full fuel position.
If this is a new engine it can be a real bugger to bleed. I would loosen or pull off the injector lines and keep trying. It can take a very long time. Also is there a bleed screw on the fuel line at the IP? Make sure this is open or you will try all day with no results. It may have a screw(bolt) or a small knob that must be opened.

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Just a question to understand. When the electric fuelpump is working, you get fuel at the input of the injectionpump, but when you crank no fuel at the output. I don't mean after the injectors, direct at the output or Injector inputs.

Ah, and maybe that helps: www.kubotabooks.com

carl

nashobadog1

Equipment
Jul 24, 2011
Fort Smith, AR
I would like to personally thank each and every one of you for the advice and the links to the manuals. Cabu, I have fuel at the supply to the injection pump. However, I have not cracked the bleed screw while trying to bleed the injectors. I will try that today before making the call to replace the injector pump. I have never had to crack the bleed screw before to get fuel from the injector pump to the injectors during priming. I am open to new ideas and technics though. I will post the results for everyone. Yall take care and Thanks Fellas.

nashobadog1

Equipment
Jul 24, 2011
Fort Smith, AR
Okay, The problem with the D902 is fixed. I pulled the injector pump and the fuel rack slide on the side was corroded and binding. Even though the electric fuel solenoid was energizing, it wasn't moving the rack due to the dirt grime and grit from Afghanny fuel. The fuel here is pretty bad from the looks of that pump. I was able to take WD-40 and a wire brush to clean all of the gunk off the fuel rack slide. I soaked and cleaned the pump with parts cleaner to get all of the fine sand and grit out. I re-installed the pump, bled the air and that fixed the problem. That 902 fired right up and runs like a champ. Kubota is about the only engine that I know that will stand up to these conditions. Thanks for all of the information and I will continue to use your site. If I wasn't in Afghanistan, I'd owe yall a beer. Thanks..

cabu

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kuno B1-15 (B1502DT)
May 24, 2009
Germany, Oyten
Maybe you add some more filters in the fuel-line, many more filters... :p

carl

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
Thanks for keeping us informed on your progress. I didn't have any advice for you, so I didn't respond. I'm sure I speak for the crowd here at OTT, you don't owe us a beer, it is us that would be proud to treat you and your fellow troups to a round or two. Thanks for what you do.