Kubota D1105 No Start Black Smoke

ElectricLee13

Equipment
Toro Groundsman w/ Kubota d1105
Oct 14, 2023
Florida
Hey everyone, I have an older Toro Groundsmaster with a Kubota D1105 engine that I can't get to start. I've made a lot of progress and feel like I'm so close but just won't catch.

I received this mower in a trade, the guy claimed he got it from an apartment complex that upgraded after the previous groundsman was repairing it and passed away at some point before finishing. So they had no knowledge of what was wrong, it was missing the starter and after sitting for so long the motor was locked up with a little bit of water in the cylinders. I used a boat load of Kroil and over time got the motor spinning freely, got all the Kroil/water out of the cylinders by turning it over a few times then loaded it with Kroil again to stop the rust.

Replaced the starter, injectors, and glow plugs. Drained fuel system and added 5gal fresh diesel. Pretty sure I got the air bled out. Cranked without injector lines until all 3 were pulsing a solid shot of diesel. Added the lines but left cracked at all injectors until I had diesel pulsing at all cylinders then tightened. I'm getting a solid puff of black smoke on every compression stroke and it sounds so close to catching but just won't. Glow plugs are tested working fine.

I'm sure I'm getting good fuel to all cylinders since I'm getting the black smoke. But really not sure what I should try next. Tried to get a compression test kit but it didn't have the right size for this smaller motor so waiting on an adapter.

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
What groundsmaster is it? I have 2, 328-D with 1105’s I take care of and they fire within a few revolutions.

Need to do a compression test. May have a dead cylinder or 3.

Reactions: 1 user

ElectricLee13

Equipment
Oct 14, 2023
Florida
hmm, how long are you 'preheating' the glowplugs ? 5-10-30 seconds ?
Also is the battery a GOOD battery, fully charged ?
Here's a video of the engine cranking over. https://youtube.com/shorts/XoOcN1ufjQE?si=8p3sTMwOtkDUrcKG

I usually will kick the key to the first position which lights the glow plugs for like 7 sec, then it also re-engages the plugs the whole time the keys turned to "cranking" so they will be on anywhere from 15-20 sec by the time I stop cranking. They get red hot within 3 seconds when tested. As for the battery, that may be a bottleneck. I don't have a "car" battery to test with currently, so I'm using 2 decent sized UPS batteries wired in parallel, with a 60a battery charger/engine start. Probably going to try to use my truck battery tomorrow and see if it spins her any faster.

ElectricLee13

Equipment
Oct 14, 2023
Florida
What groundsmaster is it? I have 2, 328-D with 1105’s I take care of and they fire within a few revolutions.

Need to do a compression test. May have a dead cylinder or 3.
Yeah you definitely might be right, still waiting on that stupid m8 adapter to get delivered since the kit I got only goes to m10 glow plugs for testing. And I have a Groundsmaster 7200, she's got pretty high hours so it could be time for a rebuild, I did pull the valve cover and all rockers/arms seem to have the same amount of movement so hopefully all the valves are seating/moving right.

I also added a video to the comment above so you can see how it's turning over. Maybe you can let me know if it seems to be spinning slow compared to what you're used to.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Seems a tad slow to me.

And if you can get it to glow for 15 seconds before you crank that should help.

Does it have a decompression knob to let it spin up to speed? If so I would use it also.

ElectricLee13

Equipment
Oct 14, 2023
Florida
Seems a tad slow to me.

And if you can get it to glow for 15 seconds before you crank that should help.

Does it have a decompression knob to let it spin up to speed? If so I would use it also.
Gosh I wish it had a decompression knob but I didn't see anything in the service manual for this model. As for the glow plugs, sadly it has a glow plug controller that only runs them for 7 sec, then reactivates while cranking. I'm not technically using a battery rated for cranking an engine so that definitely could be a concern. I'm going to try my agm truck battery tomorrow though.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
You need a GREAT battery to start most diesels !
You a lot of battery is used to power the glowplugs,which kinda drains the battery and then ask that weakened battery to spin the engine over at fairly high revs to compress the fuel to ignite and run.
If the battery 'runs down' when preheating, engine won't spin fast enough to start.

My BX23S and others heat the glowplugs while starting,so 'double duty' for the battery.
I'd get a GREAT battery installed AND real good jumpers to a running vehicle's battery.