Kubota D1105 No Start Black Smoke

ElectricLee13

Equipment
Toro Groundsman w/ Kubota d1105
Oct 14, 2023
Florida
To avoid confusion do this:

Choose a valve to be adjusted.
Turn the engine till that valve has opened completely, doesn't need to be perfect.
Mark the crankshaft pulley with chalk.
Turn engine one turn till the mark is at the same place, doesn't need to be perfect.
Adjust that valve.
Remove the chalk mark.

Lather, rinse, repeat for each valve.

This procedure can be used on nearly every gas or diesel engine produced in the past 100 years. The purpose of the procedures stated in manuals is to reduce the engine turning, but it adds confusion. The method I suggested above is actually better as it insures that the lifter is on the base circle of the cam and not just close enough.
Awesome I really appreciate that write up! Definitely made the procedure easier to digest. I'm getting ready to head out there and get started on the troubleshooting for today. I'll definitely keep the thread posted if I make any meaningful progress haha

ElectricLee13

Equipment
Oct 14, 2023
Florida
it's got dead cylinders. 2 of them have little to no compression, one has barely enough to try to run. This based on my experience with them, and my ears/eyes.

Put a gauge on it. I would imagine one of them is 150-250 psi, the others probably less than 100. You need to see 350 or better. IIRC service limit is 380. New they're closer to 500 or a little over.
Is there any possibility that could be due to valves needing to be adjusted? When I had the valve cover off and cranked it to make sure all rockers were moving, I was getting puffs of smoke around the rods as the motor turned over.

ElectricLee13

Equipment
Oct 14, 2023
Florida
easier yet, the eoic method

turn engine til exhaust just starts to open. Check intake valve clearance. Then turn the engine til the intake valve opens, then almost closes (but not quite). Then adjust the exhaust valve. Once ya figure this out, you can do a check in a minute or two. Us race car guys have done it this way for decades and it works great, saves time.
Another great write up with great advice. I really appreciate it, I'm about to head out there now and try to start checking a few things. Definitely will keep the thread updated