Kubota BX25-D "Sure-Footer"

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Last spring when we finally got the BX I spent about two months modding the things I could see I needed to change. After I got using BX and put 70 hours on it I got to see the things that really needed to be changed. The Kwik-Con on the back hoe was one and there are a few more that I'm working on this winter while I'm not using the BX.

One of the items that really bugged me last summer while operating this great little tractor was the back hoe stabilizer pads or the lack of them. They just have to small of a foot print in my opinion and would sink down in the soil in the matter of minutes and go down so far that the outrigger cylinders would have the chrome section down in the soil :mad: Well I really didn't like that. I had purchased a set of optional pads from Kubota at the time of the tractor purchase and they were really meant for pavement but in the soil they would flip over on their own so I didn't like them much either.

The OEM pads being to small and no bar under them to help prevent them from sliding down in the soil I figured I'd build a larger set to more or less act like a snowshoe. I would put bars under them to help reduce the sliding around I had with the OEM ones. Yesterday I built the set of them. I had a few people in the past ask me to post more photo's of my builds so I added lots of photos for you guys, you know who you are ;)

I call these "Sure-Footer". Now on to the next mod!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I like it, But... I would have punched a few teeth in the X in the center, I've seen quite a few backhoes skate across rocks and duff.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Nice pictures Wildfire. Looks like you should have a good stable base now.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Man, I need a couple of those for my B670…. I'm constantly adding more down pressure because the pads keep sinking in. Nice work, as usual!

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Super job- Wildfire...

I always enjoy seeing your mod's. :D

Wildfire

Equipment
I like it, But... I would have punched a few teeth in the X in the center, I've seen quite a few backhoes skate across rocks and duff.
Thanks. I kind of got another plan for the bottom of the pads ;) I'll explain later.

Nice pictures Wildfire. Looks like you should have a good stable base now.
I think the larger foot print will make the difference. I'll be able to tell you for sure in the spring.

That's Sweet !:D
Thanks!

Man, I need a couple of those for my B670…. I'm constantly adding more down pressure because the pads keep sinking in. Nice work, as usual!
Ya that's the same issue I was having. I even got off at one point and threw a piece of metal plate under the pads. Hope this works.

Super job- Wildfire...

I always enjoy seeing your mod's. :D
Thanks Dan. Glad your enjoying the mods. Hope I didn't post to many photo's on this one. Thanks for commenting guys.

BRAMEL

Equipment
Bx 1500...gone! Bx25D just arrived.
Dec 22, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Whoa!! Those are huge.... I like them. Don't suppose you'd make a pair for me??? What are you planning to do with your pair of pavement pads? I've got lots of digging this coming spring all of it across my finished lawn and need something that will minimize the damage. No skills to fabricate my own stuff.:eek:

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Like the pads but REALLY like the fact that you've finally sized your pictures to fit the screen. No more slideing the bar back and forth across the screen to see the pictures.

Wildfire

Equipment
Whoa!! Those are huge.... I like them. Don't suppose you'd make a pair for me??? What are you planning to do with your pair of pavement pads? I've got lots of digging this coming spring all of it across my finished lawn and need something that will minimize the damage. No skills to fabricate my own stuff.:eek:
Yup their big but with this mod I was more concerned about practical more than pretty lol. I'm sure you could get a local welding shop to build you a set. The shipping on these would be crazy. The shipping on the pavement pads would be expensive to ship as well or at least I think they would :confused:

Like the pads but REALLY like the fact that you've finally sized your pictures to fit the screen. No more slideing the bar back and forth across the screen to see the pictures.
This is the only site that I visit where I need to resize the photos. Every other site does it automatically when I attach them. I had some extra time to resize them this time but it adds a lot of time to have to do it.
Maybe I should stop posting here. ;)

aeblank

Jun 19, 2013
Cadillac, MI
Wasn't trying to be insulting. Just a super fast way to do it that many aren't aware of. Now off to revisit your mods so i know what to do with my new-to-me L3940.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
I've got lots of digging this coming spring all of it across my finished lawn and need something that will minimize the damage. No skills to fabricate my own stuff.:eek:
The next best solution you could to do keep from wrecking the lawn is buy some sheets of 3/4" plywood and either make a road way if need be or have some under the out riggers so they don't sink in. Its what cemetery's do when a large backhoe has to dig a plot and not trash the grounds.

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
You know...All this time I was thinking that this just the way it is. I put the outriggers out and sometimes they would hold and sometime I would sink and yet other times I would slide around like I had skates. My dumb self thought there were engineers who figured this stuff out before it was mass produced.

You really should be a multi millionaire by now. The way you think and are able to bring it into the world is a true sign of a craftsman.

Thank you for sharing your talents with us :D:D:D

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Outriggers really aren't ment to be planted down deep on the ground in a way it lifts the rear end up off the ground. You're not suppoed to see light under the tires. The idea is to just stiffen up the rear of the tractor for stability while operating the boom.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Outriggers really aren't ment to be planted down deep on the ground in a way it lifts the rear end up off the ground. You're not suppoed to see light under the tires. The idea is to just stiffen up the rear of the tractor for stability while operating the boom.
I agree with you totally Eric, but have to laugh.

I can not ever count how many times I have see PRO backhoe operators running their rigs with the rear tires at least 8" to 10" off the ground. 50% of them also have the front bucket lowered so the front tires are also off the ground. Guess they never thought about all that rubber on the ground helping to dissipate the weight load and stabilize their rig.