kubota b7200 hst suddenly lost forward and reverse

adam d

Equipment
b7200 hst
Feb 20, 2016
saunderstown,ri,usa
hello,
i was hoping for any tips on my Kubota b7200 hst suddenly loosing both forward and reverse and a grinding noise from the bearing shaft,the shaft is turning intermittently and making a rattleing noise. it also makes a grinding noise when turning it by hand when turned off.the loader and both pto's are running normaly so im suspecting its the clutch bearing but was hoping for some input from someone more knowledgeable before I go splitting the bell housing.thank you for your time

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
There is no way the PTO is "running normally" as the PTO drive comes from the input to the HST.
So if the Input shaft and the output shaft from the clutch to the HST is running intermittently, that's not a bad bearing, it's a blown clutch disk.

But if the output shaft from the clutch is turning, but the input shaft on the HST is not then it has blown the union joint or simply thrown the pin that holds it in place.

Attachments

adam d

Equipment
b7200 hst
Feb 20, 2016
saunderstown,ri,usa
thank you for the input wolf man.i will start there after I pull it out of the woods today.il let you know what I figure out from there.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Well the good news is with either a clutch or a clutch shaft issue they both require you to split the tractor to fix it.

Do you have the WSM?
I'll send you a link for a download. ;)

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
I would bet your clutch is fine. If it's making noise, it probably took the splines off the coupler and the input shaft to the hydrostat. Have seen it before. Requires a split, then removal of the hydrostat

adam d

Equipment
b7200 hst
Feb 20, 2016
saunderstown,ri,usa
ok.got the tractor split and im thinking wolfman was right off the bat.after pulling the shaft from the clutch I found metal filings,almost lathe like, to the inner most end of the clutch ware the shaft goes.the throw out bearing seams to have minimal play or signs of wear

aenos04

Equipment
b7200hstd
Oct 12, 2019
Hudson NH
Same thing happened to me.
sadness.
No signs, just stopped moving in the worst possible location in my yard(at least). Shaft from the clutch to the HST is not moving.

Still working on moving the machine to my portable garage so I can begin the
process of splitting it.

downloaded the WSM. stocking up on the 6 packs.

200mph

Equipment
L4740-3 Cab, FEL, Fnt Snow Blower L2185, LP Finish Mower, LP Rotary Mower
Mar 3, 2017
PA
Good luck and post pictures of the carnage.

Timo M

Dec 4, 2019
Oldham. United Kingdom
Hi All, just read the thread and i'm hoping to find some help. I've recently had my B2230 HST input shaft replaced for the exact same reason as Adam i.e. no drive forward or reverse. The shaft teeth had worn. I had this done by a local Kubota dealer as i was lead to believe it was beyond me..... After only 2 months and not a great deal of work (on the tractors part) it developed a leak. They took it back to have a look and now tell me its the 4wd clutch, a nut has come off, been thrown round and pierced the casing so now requires - BI-SP T Clutch, Disc Clutch & plate, shifter, Gear, a load of bearings, o'rings and clutch housing....Is it me or this a coincidence

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Hi All, just read the thread and i'm hoping to find some help. I've recently had my B2230 HST input shaft replaced for the exact same reason as Adam i.e. no drive forward or reverse. The shaft teeth had worn. I had this done by a local Kubota dealer as i was lead to believe it was beyond me..... After only 2 months and not a great deal of work (on the tractors part) it developed a leak. They took it back to have a look and now tell me its the 4wd clutch, a nut has come off, been thrown round and pierced the casing so now requires - BI-SP T Clutch, Disc Clutch & plate, shifter, Gear, a load of bearings, o'rings and clutch housing....Is it me or this a coincidence
Sadly it's more than likely just a coincidence, and bad luck, they wouldn't had a reason logical or illogical to go into that case and clutch when they changed out the propeller shaft or the HST input shaft. ;)