Kubota b7100 possibly need to replace glow plugss

trial and error

Equipment
B7100dt manual trans. homemade FEL, 4 way hydraulic dozer blade
Feb 16, 2023
NY
As the title says I have a funny feeling it's time to think about replacing the glow plugs on my gear drive B7100dt. Backstory the tractor has always been very cooperative with starting when using the glow plugs for a prescribed allotment of time. More in the winter less in the winter. I have been experiencing a little more difficulty getting the machine to fire off recently when using what I think is the same amount of time on the glow plugs.
Are these simple to replac/is there anything special I need to know about changing them?
Yes the glow plug indicator is glowing before I attempt to start
No I do not have a WSM
Yes I am just looking for rough advice on whether the ever so helpfull members on here think its time to replace the (what could be) original glow plugs
Or is there anything else I should be looking for testing
And lastly is there a certain aftermarket plug that would work? or should I stick with kubota factory? links to parts amd or part numbers are extremey welcome
With winter fast approaching I want to be sure this thing is back to its normal self
I apologize if any of that seems vague
And I also want to thank everyone in advance for any and all advice
Dan

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Go here for part numbers Kubota illustrated parts list

You will need to use the serial number because there are several different types

They may be a bit difficult to get to so look at them first to see if you have to remove the intake manifold. You will need a deep socket to make it easier so buy one that fits and has a thin wall

Replace with OEM or NGK (same as OEM)

it is a easy fix most of the time

Reactions: 1 user

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
After 30 seconds or more in dim light - can you see the glow plug indicator turning "red?" when glowing?

You can "test" each and get somewhat an idea IF they are working.

Take the lead off of each - then take an OHM meter and touch the top of each and some place hooked tp ground.

Your meter should be on the lowest OHM setting if possible. YOU should read something very close to 1 OHM.

trial and error

Equipment
Feb 16, 2023
NY
After 30 seconds or more in dim light - can you see the glow plug indicator turning "red?" when glowing?

You can "test" each and get somewhat an idea IF they are working.

Take the lead off of each - then take an OHM meter and touch the top of each and some place hooked tp ground.

Your meter should be on the lowest OHM setting if possible. YOU should read something very close to 1 OHM.
It glows orange red depending on your color definition, it never really gets brighter once it starts to glow but that hasn't changed recently. I will do the ohm test possibly later this afternoon.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
It glows orange red depending on your color definition, it never really gets brighter once it starts to glow but that hasn't changed recently. I will do the ohm test possibly later this afternoon.
I just tested this on my B7100 - engine cold, took infrared thermometer and shot all 3 glow plugs at the top - it was 72 F in the shed.

Then held the key in the glow position and re-shot the same spots - 2 climbed up slowly , about 5 F per 5 seconds and one jumped 50 F in less than 10 seconds! Maybe I have a good one and 2 not so perfect - anyway I glow mine for at least 3 clicks of the hour meter and it ALWAYS fires up instantly.

Reactions: 1 users

trial and error

Equipment
Feb 16, 2023
NY
I just tested this on my B7100 - engine cold, took infrared thermometer and shot all 3 glow plugs at the top - it was 72 F in the shed.

Then held the key in the glow position and re-shot the same spots - 2 climbed up slowly , about 5 F per 5 seconds and one jumped 50 F in less than 10 seconds! Maybe I have a good one and 2 not so perfect - anyway I glow mine for at least 3 clicks of the hour meter and it ALWAYS fires up instantly.
Good points, I do have a infrared thermometer somewhere I'll try that method as well. I also use the hour meter click as a timer but never go less the 5 clicks in the summer and usually 10÷)-15 in the winter

Reactions: 1 users

trial and error

Equipment
Feb 16, 2023
NY
Go here for part numbers Kubota illustrated parts list

You will need to use the serial number because there are several different types

They may be a bit difficult to get to so look at them first to see if you have to remove the intake manifold. You will need a deep socket to make it easier so buy one that fits and has a thin wall

Replace with OEM or NGK (same as OEM)

it is a easy fix most of the time
I'm getting nowhere entering my serial number as pictured below
B7001 45982
Is there something missing with this serial number stamped on the transmission case
Also from the looks of it I will.have to remove the intake to access them if I end up having to do a replacement.

Attachments

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
B7001 45982
Is there something missing with this serial number stamped on the transmission case
Also from the looks of it I will.have to remove the intake to access them if I end up having to do a replacement.
On my B7200 one if the three is partially obstructed by the manifold. The other two can be accessed with a deep well 1/4" drive socket. Consequently only 2 of three have been replaced

Kubota uses standard NGK glow plugs. Take one out and look at the number on it.

If you are having hard starting problems try increaseing the preheat time. Nothing bad will happen.

Dan

trial and error

Equipment
Feb 16, 2023
NY
On my B7200 one if the three is partially obstructed by the manifold. The other two can be accessed with a deep well 1/4" socket. Consequently only 2 of three have been replaced

Kubota uses standard NGK glow plugs. Take one out and look at the number on it.

If you are having hard starting problems try increaseing the preheat time. Nothing bad will happen.

Dan
Thanks @TheOldHokie it started twice today without too much struggle. Probably could use a valve adjustment as well but we will see

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
B7001 45982
I’m sorry I stated that so badly and confused you.

Search for your tractor model number B7100 and then you should see a list of different models that begin with B7100 and have different suffix. Then I recall that there was a serial number involved in the list of models so see if you can figure that list out.

Also Kubota also uses serial numbers in the parts lists if they changed a part design on the same model tractor.