Key question/concerns

RazorL3200

Equipment
L3200, 525 loader, 5' cutter
Oct 1, 2012
Figsboro, Va
Ok, I'm new to this and this question may already have been covered. If it has, just post the link. I recently purchased a L3200 and I learned from the dealer that anyone that has a L series Kubota can use their key on my tractor. And sure enough, I have a friend with a L and his key starts my tractor. I'm not comfortable with that. I know I can't be the first to address this issue. What options are out there? Replace ignition switch? Some sort of ground disconnect? Any help will be Appreciated. Thanks

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I think you will find that that key will fit most every brand of tractor out there I know my BX key works on a JD. SO unless your in a high crime area or have some friends that you are just a bit leary of I wouldnt worry But you could put a switch known to only you in the igination line to cut off power or a batter disconnect switch or a really pissedoffpitbull chained to the seat,,,lol,, But really there is any number of way you can do things to disable your tractor,, tis truely a shame that we have to worry about things like this today

bosshogg

Equipment
2004 L3400F w/ FEL
Aug 16, 2012
Hartford, SD, USA
Most heavy construction equipment is similarly keyed. Probably could swap out the ignition switch with an old salvaged car ignition switch. Most thieves can bypass the ignition pretty easily on a tractor that has wiring/starter easily accessible I would imagine.

UWAdventurer

Equipment
Kubota L3400 w/FEL & Woods 7500 backhoe
May 24, 2011
Coatesville, IN
I was worried about the key issue when I got my first tractor also. I think it i a honor among fellow owners situation. I don't think about it any more, nothing you can do except keep it locked up in a barn, or install a kill switch as mentioned above.

Bottom line, if a thief wants it and is determined he will get it no matter what anyway. I just hope if one tries, I am home and can introduce him to "my little friend."

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Put a in-line fuel shutoff right at the injector pump. Cut it off when you park it and if anybody tries to drive it off it will run out of fuel. Most theives won't take time to work on it before they steal it.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
A tractor isn't like an automobile; I would suspect that the reason for a key is a safety issue, not to thwart theft. Without a key in it, a child or some other unauthorized person can't start it.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I have a key left from a long gone '65 Chevy Impala.... yep, you guessed it- it starts my Kubota.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
And to think, we didn't even have locks on our doors when we were kids. Just saw the news tonight where 3 teenagers were arrested for stealing a car from a church parking lot. If you really want to find out what has happened to America, get the book " The day america told the truth". I got it from amazon for 1 cent plus s&h.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Alot of equipment can be started with a flat head screw driver or a pocket knife. Take it from someone who was a truck driver for 10 years and hauled a ton of equipment and could never keep up with a bunch of damn keys!!!

RazorL3200

Equipment
L3200, 525 loader, 5' cutter
Oct 1, 2012
Figsboro, Va
Thanks for all the responses and suggestions. Like someone said in a earlier post, If a thief wants it bad enough, they'll figure out a way to get it. I do like the fuel cut off option. I may look deeper into that. Thanks again.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Put your tractor up on blocks and make it look to the common crook that somebody else has already been there before LOL!

ABalliett

Sep 11, 2017
Shepherdstown, WV 25443
I have similar concerns about the 'one key fits all' situation.

Isn't there some sort of tumbler lock that can be used in the ignition key switch? Something that they can't get a pipe wrench on that slides into the key hole and then locks there so you can't get the generic key into the ignition?

The tractor I'm asking about is my son's. He's always felt that flipping the PTO switch on, which interferes with starting on his Kabota, is the trick to foiling general thieves.

I guess I'll do that and also flip the gas filter cutoff.

I just lost a 12ft trailer to thieves who cut off the receiver ball lock.

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
My fathers b7200 starts my b8200 and vice versa. Surprisingly it doesn't start my zero turn. I abandoned my key in favor for remote start with my b8200, and have the parts on the way for my zero turn. Diesel is pretty easy to do.

ABalliett I think you're talking about the club. If so, I don't think it will offer anything.

Brazos

Equipment
L2501DT
Jul 12, 2016
Texas
This is common with equipment. Very expensive heavy equipment is the same way. Look at it this way. If you loose your key you will be dancing a jig because you can go to the dealer and get two replacement keys for 10 bucks.

jnldr

Equipment
L2800
Mar 12, 2010
Knox TN
Tractors are pretty easy to steal.
I generally leave the key in mine either in the barn or under the shed. If someone wants it they will take it. I would rather them take the tractor and me get it back or get a new in through insurance then have them busy my barn up trying to get to it and or jack up all my wires and ignition trying to take it and failing....
I do live in a remote area though....

huntfishquest.com

ABalliett

Sep 11, 2017
Shepherdstown, WV 25443
So, do you think that setting the PTO to 'on' when you leave the tractor (mine has an interlock and won't crank if the PTO is 'on') and turning the gas filter switch off are reasonable approaches to keeping a field-stored tractor safe?

Would removing the battery be a very good way of protecting my tractor or do you think thieves would just come back with a battery from the last Kabota they stole?

Thoughts, please!

William1

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25D
Jul 28, 2015
Richmond, Virginia
Local construction company guy was walking with me and the theft of equipment is a problem. The equipment is so expensive, even a unpickable key lock will not deter someone from stealing. So he has hidden GPS trackers on his stuff.
Insurance and the tracker. Theft will happen, all you can try to do is clean up the mess and move on. I also think the key is to prevent 'joy riders' and little kids from being naughty.