Jerky 3-pt hitch - still a problem ??

tk1469

Nov 15, 2010
North Central Michigan
I'm planning on purchasing a new L3800 in the Spring and after seeing the post by Aniforos - it seems like the new units from Kubota is still having the problem of a jerky 3-point hitch.

How many folks out there are still having this issue?

How has your dealer addressed it ?

Thank you !!

dancour

Sep 23, 2011
Canada
Yes, my new L3200's 3PH is jerky, bounces or is a problem.

Being more specific, the 3PH will raise and lower completely very smoothly but if I try to inch it higher as when using my box blade, it jerks or bounces.

I was told that the L series is the economy level which has been scaled down to compete with the other brands like the NH Boomer to be at a price point that's competitive.

Apparently the L series does not have an "inching" valve that you would sure need if using a sickle bar mower. The better and more costly valve is included in the higher cost Grand L series I was told.

I'm still pleased with all the other Kubota L tractor functions and I'm backed by a super dealer.

The price was great for the L3200 and it seems to me a quality machine but my box blade work won't be as smooth as I'd like.

I imagine most guys don't hook up a box blade or mower and just enjoy the smooth operating loader, 4WD, HST, and power steering. So you won't hear from them until sometime later.

If anyone hears of a reasonable solution to the L3200's jerky 3 point hitch issue, please post.

PS I did have one set of remotes added to my L3200

Reactions: 1 user

eserv

Equipment
BX24, A1000 Kubota Generator
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
The three point hitch valve on the economy "L's" is either open or closed. in short, there is no feathering available. the "fix" is to install a flow divider in the pressure line to the TPH that reduces the flow of oil to the valve. this slows down the TPH but does make it smoother. I guess Kubota's recommendation is if you don't like it buy a Grand L ?
Ed

dancour

Sep 23, 2011
Canada
Yes Ed, that was the Kubota dealer's response to the jerky 3PH issue exactly.

Could you describe a little more fully about this "flow divider" solution for this newbie owner?

Any pics online?

Thanks

dancour

Sep 23, 2011
Canada
Thanks for the link.

I'm planning on adding an hydraulic top link for fine movement control. Hope it works.

BIGRlilw

Sep 25, 2011
Marietta, SC
I received my new L3200 yesterday. I was worried about the rear lift after hearing about all the problems. I talked to two different mechanics at two different Kubota repair shops. Both said they had some problems with cracked suction tubes but, that had been fixed. I ran my tractor all afternoon with a 6 ft spring tooth plow. Plowing at different depths under different pressures. My lift operated flawless. I was amazed by the power of this little tractor. I am pleased all the way around.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
We have over 100 of these series tractors that we have sold and only one "jerky tph" that wasn't caused by the suction tube. He still hasn't brought it in for me to have a look at it though he phones and complains periodically! His could be caused by the suction hose too! Usually they just go out the door and we never see them again!
Ed

dancour

Sep 23, 2011
Canada
Yes, my dealer said the same thing. He said most new owners make use of the loader, and when snow blowing just drop the blower on skids and go. Few would want to feather the 3PH as when using a box blade like me.

rkutzner

Equipment
L3700SU
Sep 24, 2011
westminster, md
We have over 100 of these series tractors that we have sold and only one "jerky tph" that wasn't caused by the suction tube. He still hasn't brought it in for me to have a look at it though he phones and complains periodically! His could be caused by the suction hose too! Usually they just go out the door and we never see them again!
Ed
Could you explain the 'suction tube' thing ? Is it an easy fix ?

Mine is jerky but for mowing or using the ballast box obviously it's no issue...up or down.....if I'm real easy on it it's fairly smooth. But I also have 300 posts to put in the ground soon and that's where I see it being a pain.

J252

Equipment
L345DT & L3400DT
Feb 4, 2011
Vancouver
We have over 100 of these series tractors that we have sold and only one "jerky tph" that wasn't caused by the suction tube.
If the suction tube is leaking, both the FEL and the 3PH will be acting up. Typically this problem will develop at some time when the tube cracks and starts to leak.

The chronic jerky 3PH which affects some L-series affects just the 3PH, not the loader. Unlike the leaking suction hose, it is always there - ie: it doesn't get better or worse with time.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
If the suction tube is leaking, both the FEL and the 3PH will be acting up. Typically this problem will develop at some time when the tube cracks and starts to leak.

The chronic jerky 3PH which affects some L-series affects just the 3PH, not the loader. Unlike the leaking suction hose, it is always there - ie: it doesn't get better or worse with time.
That's true, and also you will likely have somewhat jerky steering. These two "Problems" are often confused even by dealers. I wonder how many valves have been changed or want of a suction hose? The "chronic" jerky 3PH is caused by poor resolution in the lever- valve -feedback linkage and the lack of feathering ability in the 3PH valve. Most customers never notice the jerkiness and, it IS better than the "quarter inching valve" on most of the "b" tractors and nothing at all on the "BX" machines.
Ed

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
In summary, The jerky loader, 3PH and steering IS a problem. The jerky 3PH is the nature of the beast!
Ed

ANiforos

Equipment
Kubota B-2630 HST, w/ FEL, 5' box scraper, 6' scrape blade, mfg by Wallburg Farm
Jan 7, 2011
Winston Salem, NC
Hi everyone,

I'll try to keep this short. As I posted a number of months ago, I was not pleased with my L2800, only because of the jerky 3pt hitch. Almost all of my tractor use is to grade my long gravel driveway and private roadway, so being able to make fine adjustments was important to me. I have a wonderful dealer here (Riddle Tractor) who has gone overboard in trying to smooth out my hitch. The came and picked up the tractor two different times, trying different procedures as per the factory service rep.

I wrote a letter to Kubota explaining all of this and a few days later I got a call from the factory rep who was at my dealers at the time. That was the beginning of their trips to pick it up and attempt adjustments. After the second time, I felt like the jerkiness was even worse. I didn't raise hell, scream or act up in any way. I was nice and polite throughout the entire process. Finally, my dealer said that Kubota had offered me three choices.

1) I could keep my L2800 and live with the jerky hitch.
2) They would refund me my entire purchase price, every cent, and I could go buy another brand of tractor. It was a zero percent interest loan, so no interest lost there.
3) They would refund me every bit of my purchase price, and I could choose another model of Kubota that had a smooth valve. They were still offering zero percent interest.

My first inclination was to just switch brands with the attitude that why would I want to do business with a company that continues to offer that stupid jerky hitch, standard tractor or not. But after careful thought, I decided to stick with Kubota and buy another model in the Kubota line. I know Kubota is a good company and that most of their tractors are well made. Given all that, I chose a B2630, which is a smaller frame tractor than the L2800, but the 3 pt hitch valve is as smooth as cutting butter with a hot knife, like they all should be. I was a little concerned that the smaller size would not handle my 5' heavy duty box scraper and my 6' tilting offset scrape blade. I've found that it handles them fine. It's only two horsepower less than the L2800, so I don't think power will ever be an issue for me. Although I only have a few hours on the new B tractor, I am really happy with it. I am happy that Kubota worked with me and I would buy a Kubota again because of their actions. And I would definitely buy from Riddle Tractor, as they graciously put up with all this for close to ten months. I could not have asked for better customer service.

eserv

Equipment
May 27, 2009
Hardisty, Alberta
Hi everyone,

I'll try to keep this short. As I posted a number of months ago, I was not pleased with my L2800, only because of the jerky 3pt hitch. Almost all of my tractor use is to grade my long gravel driveway and private roadway, so being able to make fine adjustments was important to me. I have a wonderful dealer here (Riddle Tractor) who has gone overboard in trying to smooth out my hitch. The came and picked up the tractor two different times, trying different procedures as per the factory service rep.

I wrote a letter to Kubota explaining all of this and a few days later I got a call from the factory rep who was at my dealers at the time. That was the beginning of their trips to pick it up and attempt adjustments. After the second time, I felt like the jerkiness was even worse. I didn't raise hell, scream or act up in any way. I was nice and polite throughout the entire process. Finally, my dealer said that Kubota had offered me three choices.

1) I could keep my L2800 and live with the jerky hitch.
2) They would refund me my entire purchase price, every cent, and I could go buy another brand of tractor. It was a zero percent interest loan, so no interest lost there.
3) They would refund me every bit of my purchase price, and I could choose another model of Kubota that had a smooth valve. They were still offering zero percent interest.

My first inclination was to just switch brands with the attitude that why would I want to do business with a company that continues to offer that stupid jerky hitch, standard tractor or not. But after careful thought, I decided to stick with Kubota and buy another model in the Kubota line. I know Kubota is a good company and that most of their tractors are well made. Given all that, I chose a B2630, which is a smaller frame tractor than the L2800, but the 3 pt hitch valve is as smooth as cutting butter with a hot knife, like they all should be. I was a little concerned that the smaller size would not handle my 5' heavy duty box scraper and my 6' tilting offset scrape blade. I've found that it handles them fine. It's only two horsepower less than the L2800, so I don't think power will ever be an issue for me. Although I only have a few hours on the new B tractor, I am really happy with it. I am happy that Kubota worked with me and I would buy a Kubota again because of their actions. And I would definitely buy from Riddle Tractor, as they graciously put up with all this for close to ten months. I could not have asked for better customer service.
Yes, The B2630 and B3030 are "premium" tractors and do have a very nice position control. The B2620, B3000 etc not so much! You have to make sure the tractor has the features you want when you buy it. I wish Kubota would do something different with that valve but if they do it"ll likely be a another new model.
Ed

ANiforos

Equipment
Kubota B-2630 HST, w/ FEL, 5' box scraper, 6' scrape blade, mfg by Wallburg Farm
Jan 7, 2011
Winston Salem, NC
Ed,

Before I purchased the L2800, I had read about this jerky issue and I asked my dealer about it. He thought for a bit and then dug out an "informational bulletin" from Kubota to the dealers. This bulletin stated that after such and such a date (five years ago), and after such and such a serial number (several thousand serial numbers before my L2800), that all L series tractors would be fitted with another 3pt hitch valve, supposedly correcting the problem.

So when I saw that bulletin I thought the problem was solved. I am told that if I had been one of the early buyers of that tractor, that I would consider the new valve mentioned in that informational bulletin almost a total fix. I suppose my mistake was that I didn't ask the dealer to attach an implement and check it out for myself. I do think that if I had not had the discussion about the informational bulletin, that Kubota may not have worked with me.

I'm just glad that I had that conversation and I'm a happy camper now.

Alex

J252

Equipment
L345DT & L3400DT
Feb 4, 2011
Vancouver
I wish Kubota would do something different with that valve but if they do it"ll likely be a another new model.
Ed
I wish so too. The series refresh with the L3200/L3800 would have been a great opportunity to fix this. And yet the problem persists.

I am glad the previous poster got a satisfactory outcome with a different tractor. That said, the crappy system can be improved with a bit of work.

We bought a used L3400 last January. Until we got it home I knew nothing about this problem. The 3PH jerk was so violent and bad, the tractor was pretty much unusable for our intended purpose. Spent the next couple months diagnosing it and experimenting with it. Glad I stuck with it though, because I am pretty satisfied with the end result.

Kubota L3400 - 3PH Action @ 2000 RPM

Last edited:

J252

Equipment
L345DT & L3400DT
Feb 4, 2011
Vancouver
Very nice video, guess I'll have to put that on my to-do list. What's the ballpark cost you paid for the parts as described ?
The valve was about $90. I'll have to guess on the hoses and fittings until I get a chance to dig through my receipts in a week or so, but I'd guess I spent another $120 on those.