Issues with valve stems with rim guard

SRRGC1

Equipment
BX1870-1, BX23S TLB, RTV XG850, MX5100DT
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Has anyone run into issues with their valve stems with rim guard ( beet juice). Valve stem cores coming out when stem cap is taken off.

ccoon520

Equipment
L2501 w/ FEL
Apr 15, 2019
IA
Are you asking because it is a recurring problem for you or because you have heard rumors that it could happen?

I haven't personally had any issues with this occurring.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
HOW does it happen? I’ve only had mine off once to check pressure, little messy and I made sure stems were at 12 o’clock.

SRRGC1

Equipment
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
You are correct on both accounts. I have heard issues with valve stem cores coming out when you unscrew stem cap. This occurred to me when I attempted to check tire pressure in a tire filled with rim guard. Screwed stem cap back on quickly. Did lose some beet juice. My other tractor tire is filled with windshield washer fluid. My dealer advised they were experiencing some issues with rim guard and tire stems, hence why washer fluid was used in my second tractor for ballast. If you are going to check yours, jack up rear and take weight off tire. Be ready to screw cap back on.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I don't understand the mechanism here- is the rim guard is somehow loosening (or preventing the tightening) of the valve core?
Or is this an unknown cause?

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
I don't understand the mechanism here- is the rim guard is somehow loosening (or preventing the tightening) of the valve core?
Or is this an unknown cause?
My guess is that it leaks out and forms a solid mass sticking the core to the dust cap so that they both come off when the cap comes off. J

Reactions: 1 user

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
My guess is that it leaks out and forms a solid mass sticking the core to the dust cap so that they both come off when the cap comes off. J
This was my thought as well, but that stuff doesn’t look like something that dries up unless maybe left in open air.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
That is weird.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
sounds more like a messy installation.....
the valvestem area wasn't cleaned off BEFORE the cap was put on ??

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
You shouldn't be leaking any juice if the valve is at the 12 o'clock position. Clean your valve stems and valves before re-assembly.
Yes you will because the tires are filled to the top of the rim with the tractor jacked up. So when the tractor is down off the jack and sitting on the tire, the ballast, rim guard or washer fluid, is compressed so that it is no over the top of the valve stem.

Reactions: 1 users

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
Yes you will because the tires are filled to the top of the rim with the tractor jacked up. So when the tractor is down off the jack and sitting on the tire, the ballast, rim guard or washer fluid, is compressed so that it is no over the top of the valve stem.
Sounds like they are overfilled to me

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That is for CACL, not beet juice or washer fluid. Not really germane however. If you fill the tube with any liquid ballast with the tire elevated, once the tire is lowered to the ground and the weight of the tractor compresses the tire, the liquid will be at a higher level than the valve stem (which is in the lower part of the rim, in all cases. Any liquid seeks it's own level and when compressed (by the weight of the tractor itself), the liquid will always rise in containment.

Interesting, while I do not run loaded rears, my farm tractor tire company (I use Speck Tire and Miller Tire, neither like Rim Guard, they both prefer windshield washer fluid. Again, I don't use any. No need to. My cast centers provide plenty of tractive effort.

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
That is 100% correct.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I think even if they were half filled you would get a little bit come out when checking pressure. Just from what is left on the valve stem from tire rotation. There wasn’t a lot.. just not use to having anything but air come out of my tires when checking pressure.

SRRGC1

Equipment
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
BAP is correct. Also depending on how the ballast was added to the tire. Rim guard is most generally pumped in although I suppose the tire could be removed, bead broken and rim guard dumped or pumped in that way. Washer fluid again can be pumped in or dumped in a unbeaded tire. The Kubota dealer I worked at pumped in rim guard or filled with washer fluid by removing tire and dumping in the unbeaded tire. Either way I guess you could underfill or overfill. Again take the weight off the tire when checking air pressure.

SRRGC1

Equipment
Jan 6, 2021
Bloomsburg
Also on another note, I have heard of at least one situation where a person had a tire explode with rim guard in tire which created quite a mess. Don't know the specifics. I understand this occurred in the summer time in a garage. This is not to discourage the use of rim guard as it has its good advantages over other ballast, more weight and non-toxic.

rgk66

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, frt mt blower, tarter sc48 rotary mower, FEL, 6 ft woods finish mower
Jul 29, 2017
Muskegon, MI
You are correct on both accounts. I have heard issues with valve stem cores coming out when you unscrew stem cap. This occurred to me when I attempted to check tire pressure in a tire filled with rim guard. Screwed stem cap back on quickly. Did lose some beet juice. My other tractor tire is filled with windshield washer fluid. My dealer advised they were experiencing some issues with rim guard and tire stems, hence why washer fluid was used in my second tractor for ballast. If you are going to check yours, jack up rear and take weight off tire. Be ready to screw cap back on.
I had this happen on my BX with the rubber tubeless tire valve stems (OEM). I contacted Rimguard and was told these stems should have been replaced with brass stems when the tires were loaded. Rubber valve stems are for air only, liquids have a tendency to affect core/rubber vulcanization. (guess the dealer didn't want to take the time or effort to do it right before loading the tires) I replaced both stems with Colby valves, saved removing and breaking down the tires and they have worked great 2 years now.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
My BX came with the chrome/brass stems on the rear.