Is there a limit to tractor size for tier 4 application?

DocGP

Sep 17, 2014
SE TX
A friend is looking at purchasing a new sub compact and we got to talking about it, I didn't know, but told him I know a good bunch of folks who could answer this!!! I am steering him toward orange, but is there a size below which the Tier 4 does not apply? 10hp, 15hp, 20hp, or is it all new tractors?

Thanks
Doc

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Doc, I saw a table some where on Kubota's website with some of the info as to which tractors have what, and asked by email to one of their reps for more info, and he said the engines and emissions components weren't laid out the way I wanted, and at the moment one would have to go through their website tractor by tractor. I'll try to remember where I saw the table that gave the timetable for implememtation of the tier 4 stuff and get back to you. It may be one of the links in the tier 4 thread above. I have the impression that the really small engines can meet the standards for tier 4 without any of the additional treatments like dpf filters.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Hi Doc, this is all I could find out. Kubota engines all have to meet tier 4 standards by 2015. Engines below 25.5 horsepower are able to meet the standards without EGR, DOC, or DPF so do not have those added complexities. So all of the BX series should be in that category. If you look at the Kubota website there are two series of BX tractors, one set with just the number eg BX 2370, and a second series BX 2370-1. The second series have the same engine numbers, but the -1 series are listed as liquid cooled. I am regrettably clueless as to the functional significance of their having two sets of engines for these tractors. Maybe someone who has recently bought one can chime in here.

shortstand

Equipment
L2501 w/loader
Apr 7, 2015
hayes, va.
i just bought the new 2015 L2501 hst with fel yesterday. and it has the tier 4 compliant engine but does not have the dpf system..not sure about the egr or doc. put 2 hours on it last night and am very happy with its performance.

Fiziksgeek

Equipment
Massey Ferguson GC2400
Apr 8, 2015
Oxford, CT
The short answer is yes, all tractors have to comply with the Tier 4 standards.

The long answer is that the emissions standards vary by engine output, and some engines just needed small tweaks but remain largely unchanged, and some engines needed extra clap trap to come into compliance. It's the extra clap trap that upsets people, because it adds cost and complexity.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
What's DOC?
Diesel oxidation catalyst, sounds like a catalytic converter to me. On the 3560 engine the doc and the dpf are held together in the same can like structure with the exhaust reaching the doc before the dpf, which then exits to the tail pipe.

Grateful11

Apr 20, 2010
Piedmont, NC
Here's the Kubota engines with DOC and the ones with DOC and DPF.

DOC is very new for small Kubota engines and just went to production in Jan. and this article doesn't say if they're going into Ag. or industrial applications. Local dealer was suppose to find out for me but so far has failed to come through. Some Mahindra's are running with only a DOC. From what I've read a DOC has some expensive elements in them.

http://www.kubota-global.net/news/2014/20140703.html

http://www.epa.gov/cleandiesel/documents/420f10031.pdf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a23eWgbavNg