Installed battery backwards zg20

roadpizza

Equipment
2007 zg20
Apr 30, 2024
canton, georgia
I installed the battery backwards on a 2007 zg20 with Kohler CH20s engine. I tried starting the mower multiple times before realizing what I had done, yes I know stupid. After switching the posts I tried starting it again, it started and ran for about 2-3 seconds before shutting down. I realized the 40a slow blow fuse was blown. With the fuse removed I ohmed out both sides of the wire, the side connected to the 15/20a rectifier is shorted to ground, when I remove the REGULATOR/RECT 12/15A-(#2540345S) the wire is open. I am not certain if the rectifier is the issue or not. I really do not know how to check it. If I remove the recitifier and short the solenoid the starter turns but does not engage the flywheel.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: 'short the solenoid'. Did you connect the two BIG studs together or the +12 battery stud and the small 'control' stud ?

re:rect/reg. As you found out ,poof,now it's busted. Time to buy a new one.

Would need to see a wiring diagram for other possible 'fatalities'. Any 'electronic' device may be busted, but not switches.

roadpizza

Equipment
2007 zg20
Apr 30, 2024
canton, georgia
re: 'short the solenoid'. Did you connect the two BIG studs together or the +12 battery stud and the small 'control' stud ?

re:rect/reg. As you found out ,poof,now it's busted. Time to buy a new one.

Would need to see a wiring diagram for other possible 'fatalities'. Any 'electronic' device may be busted, but not switches.
Connected the two Big studs together

roadpizza

Equipment
2007 zg20
Apr 30, 2024
canton, georgia
Your jumping it wrong, you need to jump from the battery cable side of the starter to the solenoid of the starter.
Thank you, that got it running, now I just have to wait for the rectifier/regulator to come in and see if that is the only thing that was damaged with the reverse battery, at least now I feel comfortable performing all the rest of the maintenance on the machined that is needed, I was holding off on that until I could it least verify that it would run.

Reactions: 1 user