idle adjust

palomar

Equipment
B1600
Jul 24, 2010
Newberry,FL,USA
My tractor has the D950 engine, and it idles fast around 1100 rpm. Does anyone know how to adjust the idle speed or have any other suggestions?
What is your D950 idling at?
I have checked all linkages and they operate freely, no obstructions. I have replaced the governor springs.

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
My tractor has the D950 engine, and it idles fast around 1100 rpm. Does anyone know how to adjust the idle speed or have any other suggestions?
What is your D950 idling at?
I have checked all linkages and they operate freely, no obstructions. I have replaced the governor springs.
You can slow the idle down by backing off the low idle adjusting screw. I like to be able to idle mine around 800 rpm. Every engine will have a sweet spot where it likes to idle so just play with it till you find it. You don't want it to be shaking around.

palomar

Equipment
B1600
Jul 24, 2010
Newberry,FL,USA
Thanks for the reply. I tried it. It did slow down the idle, but it caused the throttle lever and gas pedal to become useless, i.e. if i press the gas pedal or pull the throttle lever the rpm would not increase and the engine would remain idling. I think there must be another adjustment that needs to be made in conjunction with the idle screw. Anyone???

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Thanks for the reply. I tried it. It did slow down the idle, but it caused the throttle lever and gas pedal to become useless, i.e. if i press the gas pedal or pull the throttle lever the rpm would not increase and the engine would remain idling. I think there must be another adjustment that needs to be made in conjunction with the idle screw. Anyone???
Well that is just weird. Unless you adjusted something else?? Or something is out of whack.

Crispywafer

Equipment
B8200hst
Aug 3, 2010
Lincoln, England, UK
I think my B8200 has the 950 engine and that too idles at about 1100. Wasnt sure if this was correct or not. Ithink it could do with being a bit lower personally.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Where did you make your adjustment? Most will have a high and low idle adjustment screws at the pump where your throttle linkage hooks to it. If you work that throttle you should be able to see where the linkage moves. After you find that point the adjustment screws should be at the top and bottom of the stroke. You should be able to back the one out that the linkage rests againsts for a stop. That seems to be pretty much a standard on most tractors that I have been around. I know all of mine are that way.

palomar

Equipment
B1600
Jul 24, 2010
Newberry,FL,USA
Thanks for the replies,

Crispy, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0-JRS_cYRY

This is a B1600 with the D950 engine, and it idles a hell of a lot slower than mine. I hope some other people with D950 engines chime in with their idle speeds.

Bulldog,

I made the adjustment at the pump. I adjusted the screw that is on the side of the pump facing the fan, it is ( #1) on the following diagram. Are you referring to the two bolts on top of the speed plate ( #18 ) on the following diagram?

There is also another adjusting screw on the back of the pump (#6) on the follwing diagram:

I am not sure how these adjustments work together, the books do not mention adjusting the idle. I am hoping ServiceDeptVic or anyone else can shed some light on it.

Last edited:

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Thanks for the replies,

Crispy, check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0-JRS_cYRY

This is a B1600 with the D950 engine, and it idles a hell of a lot slower than mine. I hope some other people with D950 engines chime in with their idle speeds.

Bulldog,

I made the adjustment at the pump. I adjusted the screw that is on the side of the pump facing the fan, it is ( #1) on the following diagram. Are you referring to the two bolts on top of the speed plate ( #18 ) on the following diagram?

There is also another adjusting screw on the back of the pump (#6) on the follwing diagram:

I am not sure how these adjustments work together, the books do not mention adjusting the idle. I am hoping ServiceDeptVic or anyone else can shed some light on it.
You adjusted the wrong one. Hope you can remember what you did because you need to put it back.
You want to adjust screw #18. Not sure which #18 but the one that has the throttle lever resting on it at idle. Loosen the lock nut and back the screw out.
The other #18 is your high idle adjustment. Don't mess with that one either.

palomar

Equipment
B1600
Jul 24, 2010
Newberry,FL,USA
Thanks for the reply kuboman. I did put it back. The #18 bolts are tied together with a piece of wire and a lead seal ( #20 on the diagram, kind of like what the power companies used to use on the electrical power meters), that is why I left them alone, but I will try adjusting them. I would still like to hear from someone who can tell us more about the whole speed control system and the proper way to adjust it. Vic, anyone, ???

Reactions: 1 user

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Thanks for the reply kuboman. I did put it back. The #18 bolts are tied together with a piece of wire and a lead seal ( #20 on the diagram, kind of like what the power companies used to use on the electrical power meters), that is why I left them alone, but I will try adjusting them. I would still like to hear from someone who can tell us more about the whole speed control system and the proper way to adjust it. Vic, anyone, ???
Yes I to would like it explained too, but good luck on that. If you have a pal in a diesel injection shop he might be able to.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Palomar, it looks like Kuboman has got you on the right track. The idle is adjusted externally on the pump. Basicly the screws are nothing more than stops that limit the throttle linkage movement. Good luck with it.

Crispywafer

Equipment
B8200hst
Aug 3, 2010
Lincoln, England, UK
Hi,

Quick update, had a quick play today and managed to adjust the idle down to around 7-800 ish, by adjusting the nuts on the throttle linkage bar under the throttle lever (this was a B8200 so not much help to palomar), this felt ok, with no extra vibrations and actually felt a bit calmer from the driver seat. My question now is what should the engine max speed be? Mine is set by the #18 bolt to around 2600, I guess this is OK, but as most things on this tractor have been tinkered with in the past I'm not so sure,

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Your tach should be marked where you need to turn the engine to achieve correct PTO speed. Even though both my tractors will turn more than that I try to never turn them harder than the maximum edge on the PTO marking. I don't see the need to turn any harder than that.

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
According to my tach, (which I'm not sure how accurate it is cause the needle seems to bounce a little) my B8200 idles around 750 and maxes out around 2800.

kgn0614

Equipment
b8200 loader, 3point hitc
Apr 5, 2017
Westport
hello all does any one know what pin #1 does it goes in the gear case cover also may be how to adjust it i replaced the gasket on the gear cover had water in the oiland the gasket around the water pump area blew out thanks kgn0614

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The pin on the gear case cover has a spring attached to it that goes to the injection pump linkage, No adjustment to it.