I just have to wonder why?

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
I have to wonder why do some items get put into production some times. I bought a Land Pride grapple for the BX a few weeks ago along with the third function valve kit. Included in the kit was the FEL 3rd function control switch. When I took it out of the bag I figured it was for a Kenworth because it was so big. It also looked as if it fell out of a 100' ugly tree and struck every branch on the way down.

Well I went ahead and installed it anyway so the other day I was out around the door playing with the BX and that darn knob was annoying the heck out of me. Every time I'd go to dump the bucket I'd hit the 3rd function switches plus it was just to uncomfortable too use.

This isn't a cheap switch either. My dealer told me the replacement cost would be over $450. plus tax and shipping.

Well this weekend I had enough. I had some 3" aluminum round stock and some 2" aluminum square stock and machined a new knob and milled a switch housing. I buffed the knob and the $14.00 momentary on off on switch is even waterproof.

Today I used the BX again and just love the way it feels now. Why couldn't the engineers design it so you didn't have to be some kind of a mutant freak to use their switch assembly.

Here's a few photos. I got a video uploading as well.

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Nice job Wildfire. You wont be catching the switches by mistake now. Great design also. Cheers, Don.........

Wildfire

Equipment
Nice job Wildfire. You wont be catching the switches by mistake now. Great design also. Cheers, Don.........
Thanks Don. A few weeks back I changed from a mechanical thumb to a hydraulic thumb and I milled a switch housing for it so I wanted the front grapple switch housing to look similar.

Dan_R_42

Equipment
B7100-D, w/ Sims Cab, B219 FEL, ARPS 70 Backhoe, Oversized R4 Tires, LX2610 Cab
Dec 1, 2010
Taunton, MA
Very nice... That is truly a custom switch housing now. It looks to be a lot more ergonomic design than the factory provided.

Once again - a better mouse trap by Wildfire !!! :D

The_Al

Equipment
L3540, Heavy duty FEL, 9' bachoe, Brush hog, 72" grappler
Jul 19, 2013
MA
Thanks Don. A few weeks back I changed from a mechanical thumb to a hydraulic thumb and I milled a switch housing for it so I wanted the front grapple switch housing to look similar.

That is so professional. It is pretty amazing what you can do.

Wildfire

Equipment
Very nice... That is truly a custom switch housing now. It looks to be a lot more ergonomic design than the factory provided.

Once again - a better mouse trap by Wildfire !!! :D
Thanks Dan. I looked all over the net for the right switch. The problem is the position of the FEL control shaft. It comes straight back and not turned up as the usual position so that was the deciding factor in the design. It is very comfortable to use so I am happy with it.

That is so professional. It is pretty amazing what you can do.
Thanks Al. Happy to hear you enjoyed seeing it :)

Wildfire

Equipment
If you want something better just make it your self. Paul you are the best. Looks great.

David Pidgeon
Thanks David. I think companies are putting product out to fast before doing the proper testing but I'm happy with my results. I bet Land Pride will eventually change the design of that switch/knob.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Now that do bring back some memories,,,, it reminds me of the shifter knob I made for my 57 Ford, and the switch house too, but I had a brake loc switch in that,, Ya done good;)

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Hahaha....you never fail to amaze me!! I haven't checked out your web site and you-tube channel yet.....but I have to. I love the thumb symbol on your switch too, lol.

Nice work.

Wildfire

Equipment
Hahaha....you never fail to amaze me!! I haven't checked out your web site and you-tube channel yet.....but I have to. I love the thumb symbol on your switch too, lol.

Nice work.
Thanks. Glad you liked the thumb decal. Even wifey laughed when I asked her to make one. When I sell the BX at least they'll know what that switch is for :D

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada
Yes, it's those little touches that really make your work stand out.
I'm almost ready to make the drive to Newfoundland when you sell the 5740, lol.

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
I removed the link, don't want my "shortcut" cluttering up your thread.

Last edited:

Wildfire

Equipment

ItBmine

Equipment
B2620, RTV-X1100C
Jan 21, 2014
Canada

Thanks. What part of this great country are you located in?
I'm in Northern Ontario Widfire. Closest I've trucked out your way is N.B. and N.S. though. I love the ride once you get out of the Montreal traffic.