I guess it has started

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Sitting on the back porch this morning listing to the rain, the sound started. They were flying low, even the 3 young turkeys under the chest nut trees looked up. Must have been 30 or 40 geese, headed south. They never came back around to the big ponds on the other side of the ridge, maybe made it to the river to stop over or maybe just kept going. They are leaving early this year, even the hummers are gone, wonders what they know we don't?

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
There've been a couple big flying wedges here too. I need to mow but a couple rain squalls on the radar that would no doubt come here as soon as I start. Too wet to dig potatoes. Had another inch of rain yesterday. 72o. They predicted warmer than average and wetter than average for this week and seems to be so. End of month the axe could fall.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Sitting on the back porch this morning listing to the rain, the sound started. They were flying low, even the 3 young turkeys under the chest nut trees looked up. Must have been 30 or 40 geese, headed south. They never came back around to the big ponds on the other side of the ridge, maybe made it to the river to stop over or maybe just kept going. They are leaving early this year, even the hummers are gone, wonders what they know we don't?
Time to get the long johns out early this year maybe?

But may also be a sign that a cold winter will kill off a lot of those stink bugs down your way! There are always positives, if you look hard enough! LOL

Reactions: 1 user

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Yep, my hummers are gone till next year. We had a few nights in the high 40's and they decided to vacation elsewhere.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
Nothing over head yet but you know it when their coming for sure.

ipz2222

Equipment
L235, bx2670
May 30, 2009
chickamauga ga usa
Nothing over head yet but you know it when their coming for sure.
speaking of migraters... as a kid, I never remember seeing a Canadian goose except in the flying formation. Nth Ga area.. Now they are all around here , even in the winter. Have they gotten too lazy to fly???

Geezer3d

Equipment
Kubota LX2610SU
Apr 22, 2021
Heart of the Catskills
speaking of migraters... as a kid, I never remember seeing a Canadian goose except in the flying formation. Nth Ga area.. Now they are all around here , even in the winter. Have they gotten too lazy to fly???
I see some migrating geese here in NY, but over the past 20 years or so we have had a lot of them who simply stay all year as long as they can find open water and food. They are a real problem in some parks and golf courses.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
The geese here have gotten so numerous we had a hunting season with a 5/day limit this year. May have been a bunch taken but I don’t know anyone who hunted them this year. Not sure what I’d do with 5 geese/day. That’s a lot of goose meat. That and they’ve been without a hunting season so long, we’ve seen many generations of geese raised on our pond. We haven’t ever named them but we recognize all of the few dozen individuals and pairs that have arrived every spring and left every fall the past 25 years. Kind of an odd change of mindset to consider hunting them. Probably sticking with deer, varmints, and an occasional turkey.

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
Haven't seen a lot of geese this year.
They're bloody pests here, crapping everywhere in the local parks, especially if there's water around. They stay here year 'round, and normally hatch twice each year because there's plenty food for them all year. Some of the local idiots go feed 'em bread so that makes 'em crap even more. I quit going to the local park because of all the goose crap on the walking trails. The city decided to cull them because of the large numbers a few years ago. You should have heard the moaning and growning, despite the fact they were going to use them to feed homeless folks. Go figger!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
geese here do not fly south, decendents of those born on the Don River, well fed,lost their instinct to fly south generations ago.

edritchey

Lifetime Member

Equipment
A bunch of cute little Kubotas
Jul 19, 2014
Wellsville, PA
Been watching them going here too along with flocks of other birds. It's that time of year but it sure has been warmer here than normal.

bearbait

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, 64" snowblower, 72" back blade
Dec 9, 2011
New Glasgow Canada
They're bloody pests here, crapping everywhere in the local parks, especially if there's water around. They stay here year 'round, and normally hatch twice each year because there's plenty food for them all year. Some of the local idiots go feed 'em bread so that makes 'em crap even more. I quit going to the local park because of all the goose crap on the walking trails. The city decided to cull them because of the large numbers a few years ago. You should have heard the moaning and growning, despite the fact they were going to use them to feed homeless folks. Go figger!
Yep, nothing craps like a goose, well, except maybe a beagle. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
When I was alot younger(and yes stupid) I'd get out the 30-06 when the V's were flying high so see if I could bust them up. I never actually hit one but they knew immediately the lead was going by and break from the V.

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
The geese here have gotten so numerous we had a hunting season with a 5/day limit this year. May have been a bunch taken but I don’t know anyone who hunted them this year. Not sure what I’d do with 5 geese/day. That’s a lot of goose meat. That and they’ve been without a hunting season so long, we’ve seen many generations of geese raised on our pond. We haven’t ever named them but we recognize all of the few dozen individuals and pairs that have arrived every spring and left every fall the past 25 years. Kind of an odd change of mindset to consider hunting them. Probably sticking with deer, varmints, and an occasional turkey.
They make excellent Jerky!!!! My buddy and I usually keep some breast for meals. A family favorite is to cook it like pulled pork. Most of it does go into the dehydrator.

1badDart

Sep 7, 2021
W. KY.
The geese stay here in KY all year now, the only time I see migraters is when they have a long bitter cold spell up north and everything freezes over. In the last few years our winters have been mild and the bluebirds haven't migrated, they payed the price last year. We had two weeks of very cold weather, lots of people found their bluebird boxes stuffed with dead bluebirds. I've seen one since spring and that was about two weeks ago.

Crash, several years ago we shot a bunch of resident geese in the September season. One of my coworkers at the time made jerky so we gave the geese to him. When it was done he brought me a big bag of jerky. Being at work we opened it up and started eating. It tasted great but the after taste made us want to scrape our tongues off, LOL. The next year I offered him goose breasts and he politely declined, I know why too. :giggle:

Crash277

Equipment
BX23S
Jan 17, 2021
Canada
The geese stay here in KY all year now, the only time I see migraters is when they have a long bitter cold spell up north and everything freezes over. In the last few years our winters have been mild and the bluebirds haven't migrated, they payed the price last year. We had two weeks of very cold weather, lots of people found their bluebird boxes stuffed with dead bluebirds. I've seen one since spring and that was about two weeks ago.

Crash, several years ago we shot a bunch of resident geese in the September season. One of my coworkers at the time made jerky so we gave the geese to him. When it was done he brought me a big bag of jerky. Being at work we opened it up and started eating. It tasted great but the after taste made us want to scrape our tongues off, LOL. The next year I offered him goose breasts and he politely declined, I know why too. :giggle:
That’s not the goose meat. That’s the recipe and prep they did lol. For food I use the rule to always try something twice. Because the first time it may have been prepared wrong lol

NvRudder

Equipment
L2501DT, LA525, R14's, Bison NVHA210 84" RB, Allied 60" SB, Diamond C 10k Dump
Jun 15, 2021
Northern NV
Snowing here this morning in Northern Nevada...glad I winterized RV last night...

Magicman

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4900 Utility Special 4WD e/w FEL & 1530 John Deere "Traveling Man"
Oct 8, 2019
Brookhaven, MS
knotholesawmill.com
I have not seen any V's arriving here yet but some of my Hummers must have flown. We are still in the low 80's so it's certainly not cold. I unloaded and stacked firewood this morning and had to change to a dry shirt and underwear. 😓

Poohbear

Equipment
L3301 HST, LA525, LP shredder, BB1566 box blade, QH10, Worksaver pallet fork
Jul 6, 2018
Gilmer,Tx,United States
Not seen any ducks or geese migrateing yet here in East Tx. Hummingbirds still here and Saturday started seeing Monarchs again.