I give up

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Potatoes doing well, onions look OK,, corn 3 inches high ate off, replanted,, beans up a couple inches gone, replanted. Pumpkins, started inthe hose so they would have a better chance,,, GONE,, what the hell eats pumpkins?
7 ground hogs, and a bunch of tree rats, 3 coons and a opossum all relocated. No deer tracks in the dirt, so I dont think its deer but then I havent seen any this year,, strange ,, and no turkeys Really thinking about just mowing it all down and forget about a garden forever,,, OK, Im done bytchin now

Reactions: 1 user

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Potatoes doing well, onions look OK,, corn 3 inches high ate off, replanted,, beans up a couple inches gone, replanted. Pumpkins, started inthe hose so they would have a better chance,,, GONE,, what the hell eats pumpkins?
7 ground hogs, and a bunch of tree rats, 3 coons and a opossum all relocated. No deer tracks in the dirt, so I dont think its deer but then I havent seen any this year,, strange ,, and no turkeys Really thinking about just mowing it all down and forget about a garden forever,,, OK, Im done bytchin now
Rabbits will eat a healthy variety of new plants. Game cams don’t lie though.

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
My brother would plant his beans. Then come out the next day and they were uprooted 🤔🤔🤔🤔 Replanted and added some other veggies to the garden.

Came out the next day and they were uprooted again 🤔🤔🤔🤔

Realized it was his chickens. So... chickens got put on lockdown.

Replanted his garden. Came out the next day and they were uprooted again!!!! 🤣😂🤣😂🤣😂

It was the neighbors chickens who were still running loose 😂🤣😂🤣😂🤣

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
Game camera.

Set it on 'video' mode. Then you'll have your answer. It won't provide the 'solution'....but at least you'll know what you are dealing with and can address the situation as you see fit.

Brwn game cameras.jpg

Special_K_Side

Equipment
R-520,S,ST
Aug 5, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
I am a North East English Borne (Geordie) living in Canuckistan (Canada) and just say “the planet is doomed!” Just pull out the old Remington 870, 1022 or whatever and go for it with a spotlight at night! 😎

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I had issues with deer and rabbits. I built a 9’ woven wire fence with small mesh wire on the bottom 18”. No more problems except the occasional bird.

Special_K_Side

Equipment
R-520,S,ST
Aug 5, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
I went to work yesterday and found two trash pandas (racoons) inside of one of my garbage cans, tipped over. I left it tipped over, filled it back up and did this to piss them off! I have a usbA and VGA trash can now! This morning found them hanging around confused! I laughed and laughed. They looked at me with sorrowful eyes and slowly left! (I do not kill or harm anything anymore unless I am hungry or they are trying to kill or injure me!)

Attachments

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
Sounds like you have whistle pigs ravaging your garden. They'll eat anything veggie or root like. Or, at least try it and leave it all messed up if they don't.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
I don’t have a garden. My father had a garden everywhere he lived throughout my whole life. Last one was across from my front yard, about 100’ from my front door. He couldn’t see it from his house. Long story, but from about 5 years old to about 55 years old, with a 7 year break when I lived several hours away, he managed to irritate or torture me with the gardens in more varied ways than I can count.

I could see that last one whenever I was home and he couldn’t so I always willingly did my duty as his progeny and dispatched everything that dared enter aside from humans, insects (that was his job), and some but not all deer. Wife was home more than I was so she would do the same to control groundhogs and squirrels. Electric fence mostly controlled the deer. A motion sensing camera that pings your phone and a .22LR with a night scope and can on the end can be quite effective against “animals in the act of depredation”. Rabbits and deer are pretty tasty so at least there was some payoff.

Told my family several times when he was done gardening my last act as a “farmer” was plow, disc, drag, plant grass, and mow that garden plot. I am no longer concerned about wascally wabbits. We have a groundhog that lives in the culvert at the end of our driveway with whom we live peacefully. Deer and turkeys frequent the now tiny field without penalty. We still hunt, but not out the window as there is no longer depredation of cultivated plants.

The grassy spot in the far side of the gravel road is the “garden”. I like it much better.
IMG_0897.jpeg

Special_K_Side

Equipment
R-520,S,ST
Aug 5, 2022
British Columbia, Canada
I don’t have a garden. My father had a garden everywhere he lived throughout my whole life. Last one was across from my front yard, about 100’ from my front door. He couldn’t see it from his house. Long story, but from about 5 years old to about 55 years old, with a 7 year break when I lived several hours away, he managed to irritate or torture me with the gardens in more varied ways than I can count.

I could see that last one whenever I was home and he couldn’t so I always willingly did my duty as his progeny and dispatched everything that dared enter aside from humans, insects (that was his job), and some but not all deer. Wife was home more than I was so she would do the same to control groundhogs and squirrels. Electric fence mostly controlled the deer. A motion sensing camera that pings your phone and a .22LR with a night scope and can on the end can be quite effective against “animals in the act of depredation”. Rabbits and deer are pretty tasty so at least there was some payoff.

Told my family several times when he was done gardening my last act as a “farmer” was plow, disc, drag, plant grass, and mow that garden plot. I am no longer concerned about wascally wabbits. We have a groundhog that lives in the culvert at the end of our driveway with whom we live peacefully. Deer and turkeys frequent the now tiny field without penalty. We still hunt, but not out the window as there is no longer depredation of cultivated plants.

The grassy spot in the far side of the gravel road is the “garden”. I like it much better.
View attachment 105454
As for insects (wasps, hornets etc) chlorinated brake clean on their nest while wearing white! They are not annoyed by white ( not a rascist thing but move slow) hose the nest down and they do not smell the pheromes and move on!