I despise buying home appliances such as refrigerators!

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Who has the oldest appliance still i use and what brand is it?

We have a Hotpoint electric range installed in 1976 and still in use.
Almond Montgomery Ward side-by-side, ice and water in the door refrigerator from 1984, I think. Picked up a floor model, got it home and it had leaked the R12 out. They serviced it and I've had no refrigerant issues since. The icemaker has been repaired/replaced numerous times (including a different style), defrost timer once, and defrost elements once or twice. The ice dispenser doesn't work because of a switch issue in the door. Not worth the effort to fix it, since it spit little bits of ice on the floor when it worked anyway.

Sears Kenmore dryer from the same time. I've replaced the belt and idler a couple of times. The matching washer only lasted about 30 years. The second time the timer motor went out, I didn't feel like fooling with it again.

TLDR: Around 2014, I went to Sears to buy a replacement washing machine. They had a basic feature model on the floor. OK, when can you deliver it? You'll have to schedule that with the delivery folks. I live 2 miles from the (former) local store, but they don't do deliveries. It'll have to be shipped to Memphis (80 miles), when they receive it then they'll schedule delivery back here. So I put it in the back of my Explorer and installed it myself.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Back in the early 80s friend of mine retired from the company we both worked for and moved away. He had a chest freezer he didn't want to take with him so he gave it to me. It is still in my basement and still works as new. It is a Sears "Coldspot" and if I remember correctly the tag on the back of it says it was made in 1952. Every couple years I have to empty it out and defrost it - but that's ALL that's been done to it since I owned it

I have a GE top-freezer refrigerator that is 34 years old and still works really well and had no repairs done to it. Like it because it has a super-efficient icemaker that really cranks out the ice cubes when needed - an icemaker that also has needed no repairs.
I had a friend of an ex-coworker stop by yesterday afternoon to pick up a rifle that he won at an Elk Foundation banquet. He saw what I was up to with the refrigerator swap and told me that his parents had the same refrigerator for over 30 years but it finally quit about four years ago. They replaced it with a new model that lasted two years!!

I got the refrigerator out of the trailer without incident.

mx6000_refrigerator_05_29_24.jpg

Reactions: 1 user

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
I really do. A refrigerator/freezer is kind of a necessity and the LG that I bought from Home Depot 8 or 9 years ago crapped out again over the weekend. There was class action lawsuit against LG in 2017 due to numerous compressor issues so it was repaired under warranty about four years ago. Basically LG extended warranties to 5 years. Anwyay, I called around and it'd be four weeks or so before anyone could come out to fix it, and given its age, and this being the second failure, I don't think it's worth putting money into it.

One of the things I don't like about appliances is that I'm not interested in doing a lot of research, particularly for things like refrigerators or washing machines. I've had an LG washer and dryer for over 12 years with zero issues but that refrigerator has been less than stellar. Looking online at reviews is a horror show. There isn't a brand out there that anyone can agree on. The model I ended up buying has some terrible reviews and some good reviews. Most of the worst reviews can be found on Amazon whereas Best Buy and Lowes have hundreds of positive reviews. I don't know if refrigerators are hit and miss, even within the same brand, but I wonder if the way they're handled during delivery makes a difference.

I ended up buying a Samsung counter depth floor model that's been discontinued. The fact that I "need" a counter depth model limits my choices and typically increases cost. I didn't get a great deal or a terrible deal, but I have $2k less for fun stuff that's for sure. I have a 5 year bumper to bumper warranty too. Hopefully it'll last a good few years before it ends up at the local landfill. I have no idea how long a refrigerator is supposed to last, but these days I'm thinking it's a five year plan.

View attachment 129464
Our LG french door fridge died yesterday - after exactly 14 years! The ice maker stopped making ice on the weekend. Now the fridge can't make any cool anymore and is running continuously.

I guess that's good for an appliance these days. Not like the old Kenmore's that continued to run for 30+ years...

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Our LG french door fridge died yesterday - after exactly 14 years! The ice maker stopped making ice on the weekend. Now the fridge can't make any cool anymore and is running continuously.

I guess that's good for an appliance these days. Not like the old Kenmore's that continued to run for 30+ years...
Mine was only 8 years old so you got more value out of yours than I did out of mine. I was able to get the LG out of the house and the Samsung in the house without any help. It's nice to have a working refrigerator again. I actually like this model more than the LG. I can fit 2 one gallon milk jugs in the door but there wasn't even room for one in the LG. I just hope it lasts 5 years without trouble and I'll be happy.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY

We redid our laundry room and kitchen in 2008 and 2009. Everything has been aging out recently.

Washer and dryer were replaced a couple months ago. Had to do many repairs.

Refrigerator and dishwasher have been regular maintenance issues. Ice maker isn’t working in fridge now. Probably put 5 or 6 ice makers in it already.

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
IMG_2502.jpeg

IMG_2503.jpeg

1963 Clark chest freezer. Lid springs don’t work and NLA. The chain on the wall has a S hook that hooks to the handle to hold the lid up. It’s big enough to hold a whole steer plus some. Otherwise it works great.

Last edited:

L35

Equipment
L35/TL720/BT900/York rake/Valby chipper
Jun 13, 2010
CT

Don’t tell me that, I have a 14y/o LG French door as well 😩

Speed25

Equipment
L2501(sold) - BX25D
Apr 23, 2024
NC
I try to avoid appliances with circuit boards where possible, but outside of fridges and washers/dryers, it's getting very difficult. The simpler the better. I've fixed the washer/dryer a number of times as they're easy to work on with some help from YouTube. Usually it's a bearing or heating element, nothing too complicated to fix.
Two days after posting this, the washing machine stopped working. Didn't take long to figure out that the main vertical spindle that everything rotates around had sheared in two. $300 part and too many hours to remove everything and replace it all again. Not worth repairing with the other issues we've had. 5-year old LG.
New Maytag showed up yesterday...

• Sad