Hydraulic Hammer Attachment? L3400

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
I've got an L3400 with FEL and backhoe. The FEL has the skid steer style quick attach bucket.

I'm trying to find out if I can attach a hydraulic hammer to either side of the machine.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

I've come across a few large rocks already under the ground and I think they're probably bedrock judging by other rock outcroppings nearby on the property.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
I've got an L3400 with FEL and backhoe. The FEL has the skid steer style quick attach bucket.

I'm trying to find out if I can attach a hydraulic hammer to either side of the machine.

Has anyone had any experience with this?

I've come across a few large rocks already under the ground and I think they're probably bedrock judging by other rock outcroppings nearby on the property.
There are a few SSQA jackhammers on ebay, so it should be do-able. Hydraulic isn't as common as pneumatic, but you'd have to have some kind of decent compressor to deal with the pneumatic ones.

If you're dealing with rock like you think, I'm not sure anything short of explosives will let you dig down to any depth.

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
We'll be finalizing the building layout we're trying to do sometime this week, so I don't know if this rock is in the way of the 2' deep foundation wall or if it will be under the slab.

The external part of the rock is something like 10' long by 3-5' wide of a footprint, and I've dug on two sides approximately 3' down and it's only getting bigger. I'll try to find the edges of it this evening, if possible. I might be able to dig it out and just push it down the hill...

I didn't consider using a pneumatic one attached to the QQSA, but I should be able to borrow a small Atlas Copco trailer-type compressor from work.

I've never done any rock breaking, so I don't know what I'm in for. I've only seen an excavator with a hydraulic hammer make quick work of granite rocks at work.

JD55

Equipment
forks, hay spear, cutditioner, hay rake, square baler, 6-foot mower, blade, bho
Aug 14, 2013
Bellefonte, Pa. 16823
http://alpinecutter.com/en/products/rockwheel.html

You might want to look at this page, a friend of mine use to work for this company. He repaired and serviced these cutters all over the world. He is now in Wyoming excavating caverns under old oilfields, creating reservoirs for the collection of oil over a mile deep in the ground. I watched him cut a drain line through bluestone in his yard three foot deep to drain his drive way.
something like this might work.

There are track machines that bore into solid rock. A conveyor belt moves the cut stone through and out the back of the machine where it is loaded and trucked out of the tunnel. In California they use them to make wine vaults underground.

They make one for a skid steer.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
While you might be able to attach to it with an SSQA adapted loader you do not have the Hydraulic ports or pump to be able to run a Hydraulic hammer.
Go rent a Skid Steer and Hammer if that's what you want to use.

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
I've run into your situation a few times, depending on the type of rock, even a hydraulic hammer on a big back hoe won't bust some types. We hit some blue granite one time, rented a big backhoe with a hammer on it, wouldn't even scratch it! The last place I would put one of those hammers is on my own equipment, good way to rattle every bolt loose including the filling in your teeth! Soft rock like limestone would probably break up with one.

Your best bet money wise is call in a blaster to drill and blast the rock. They are quick and efficient. It will split and crack that bed rock so that it can be peeled out easily with an excavator or hoe.

We even did it not far away from existing foundations and didn't harm them one bit. They will place huge mats that are made of tires woven together on top of the blast point. Unfortunately it's not much excitement to watch...

Back in the day... Farmers would build a big fire on the rock for days straight that they wanted gone....the heat will make the rock brittle and crack so it can be hammered out.

Last edited:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
If the job has to be inspected to confirm construction methods, have the inspector come out and give advise. He may conclude the rock does not have to be excavated if you're just needing a good foundation.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My only experience in this area was watching & talking to the local backhoe guy who put in most of the foundations, septic systems, & well systems in the area where my cabin is located. He had a nice 4wd turbo JD extend-a-hoe, and said he would never run his jackhammer attachment on it because it would be a
good way to rattle every bolt loose including the filling in your teeth!
He said it was really hard on the tractor, & he had an old, leaky 2wd Case beater to carry the hammer. The rock was sandstone & limestone.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Another consideration for those thinking about using a hydraulic breaker:

1. Most of our Kubotas don't have the hydraulic pump capacity even if we had the hydraulic plumbing hook-ups, and

2. If you use a rental hammer, what did the last user leave in the hammer and its hoses in the way of gunky cheap dirty contaminated watery "hydraulic" fluid? Perhaps only a quart or two, but still, not what I want in my well-maintained machine. Which won't be after a few hours of using a breaker.

Those times we needed a hydraulic breaker we've rented a BobKitty complete and run it day and night to get our 24-hrs money's worth.

Please post back your experiences so we may all learn.

MaverickH1

Apr 14, 2015
Virginia
I'm leaning towards going the route of NOT attaching something like that to my beloved tractor. :D

The possible mixing of hydraulic fluids is a big part of the reason, as well as the stress of the hammer itself.

I'll be looking into other options.