HVAC help......ughhhh

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I replaced an American Standard condenser and a Goodman evaporator coil this past spring, and I got 7 years out of it. It cost me $7000 or $1000 a year. The condenser leaked, and the coil also leaked. Thought I was OK until late August and the same thing happened to the other unit. In this case, it was just the defective coil, but as the tech said, replace the condenser since it is the same age as the last one, and if it goes bad next year, it will be much more expensive. Seems that the refrigerant that the units use is being discontinued at the end of 2024, and no replacement parts can be sold for the older units. The coils leak because the pan they sit in doesn't fully drain and the condensate attacks the metal. The new units have a new pan, but they haven't fixed the problem. The tech told me that had I had the units cleaned every year, the problem wouldn't have existed. When the new unit gets installed, he is going to put a tee into the drain line so the line can be cleared with a round brush in the future.
The unit at my wife's store was just replaced. It was 41 years old, and the case looked like it had been in a war, but it still was working, but extremely inefficiently.

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
. Seems that the refrigerant that the units use is being discontinued at the end of 2024, and no replacement parts can be sold for the older units.
That's not entirely true. R410a manufacture will be discontinued. However it will still be available for a long time. Parts will still be available also.MMost parts don't care what refrigerant is being used.
This is the same thing that happened with the phase out of R12 and R22. There are still R22 systems in use today.
The best part about this phase out? The new refrigerant is considered flamable!

lynnmor

Equipment
B2601-1
May 3, 2021
Red Lion
That's not entirely true. R410a manufacture will be discontinued. However it will still be available for a long time. Parts will still be available also.MMost parts don't care what refrigerant is being used.
This is the same thing that happened with the phase out of R12 and R22. There are still R22 systems in use today.
The best part about this phase out? The new refrigerant is considered flammable!
Goes well with the lithium batteries!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have 2 Goodman units(house and garage) ,both are 80K BTU and 93% eff, so both have 2" PVC out the wall.
Sad thing is my old house furnace was still 95% eff ,after 35 years so I actually LOST of efficiency.
Don't feel too bad...the old furnace efficiency estimate was probably optimistic.

Also, if you are not pulling combustion air from the outside your true net efficiency is probably lower than the nameplate says...

Welcome to the real world...LOL