How is everyone using their diesel supply at the end of the world?

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
That’s how I recycle my used oil as well. More convenient then loading it up and hauling it to work to dispose of.
Makes me wonder how lube oil is 'responsibly' being recycled or disposed of. Years ago, our refinery started recycling it from users by feeding it in with the crude charge. That was later determined to be environmentally unsound. Huh?

Reactions: 1 user

Fordtech86

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
Aug 7, 2018
Pineville,LA
Makes me wonder how lube oil is 'responsibly' being recycled or disposed of. Years ago, our refinery started recycling it from users by feeding it in with the crude charge. That was later determined to be environmentally unsound. Huh?
I’m not sure what they do with the stuff they suck out of our waste tanks. I do know that everything gets dumped in them though…oil, trans fluid, antifreeze, brake fluid, gas, diesel, laundry detergent (🤣🤣🤣 you laugh but I promise that makes a mess when it gets dumped in a gas tank), mud, silicone scrapings that end up in the drain pan, etc… everything gets dumped in the same tank…

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
That's a great idea I never thought of. Thanks

What ratio do you use?
50/50 gas diesel is the standard forestry drip torch fuel for burning. But the oil is good for wet wood. It coats the wood letting the fire burn longer to get the fire going. I never measured the oil, but I’d say about one gallon of oil to 5 gallons of fuel mix. If the brush is dry, no oil is needed but it does stretch out your fuel so you use less.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I know a guy that picks up used motor oil as a side line, and he uses it in a heater for their big garage,, they do big truck repair. They have a commercial waste oil heater, everything is filtered then pumped into the unit. I forget who makes it but damn does it pump out the hot air and it burns everything oil, trannie fluid rear end oil if it flows and burns it burns it

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
50 years ago, used motor oil was re-refined and sold as motor oil again, just at a less expensive price. I have no idea what they do with it today, but we certainly do generate a lot of used engine oil in the US. It can be re-refined to become diesel fuel also. Just like they do with the french fry oil in restaurants.

Oil pan 4

Equipment
L185 turbo
Sep 21, 2017
NM
That's interesting. How do prepare them and what kind of furnace?

I've wondered if there is a small-scale biomass process to convert something like the sweetgum saplings I cut to pellets, without hauling them to a central plant?
Hot blast coal furnace, tractor supply used to sell them.
But anything that allows air flow from the bottom of the fuel pile should work.
I prep them by chipping dry or mostly dry branches.
Some times I dump used motor oil on them.

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
fuel shortage ???
really ??
Then WHY are you still EXPORTING oil ???

The answer is Capitalism. The US government does not tell oil producers or refiners who they have to sell product to. So US companies sell on the global market most likely to who will pay the most. Oil is a global commodity.

Are you advocating for more US government oversight of US produced oil?

Jchonline

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L6060, KX040-4, M7060, RTV X1100C, M62 (sold)
Oct 28, 2018
Red Feather Lakes, CO
Also learned today that even though supply is at 25 ish days, production has not changed so there is no reason to expect a need to dip into that supply at this point. Leave it to our govt to screw that up though.....

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
How is everyone using their diesel supply at the end of the world?

Still trying to figure out where the end of the world is...

Australia? 🤔

• Haha

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
The answer is Capitalism. The US government does not tell oil producers or refiners who they have to sell product to. So US companies sell on the global market most likely to who will pay the most. Oil is a global commodity.

Are you advocating for more US government oversight of US produced oil?
^^^^^

Yep, simple as that. (y)