Hooking Up/Removing attachments from 3pt hitch

WVUalum08

Equipment
2002 Kubota L3010
Apr 30, 2015
Kenna, WV
Hey all,
I'm new to the tractor world and have a L3010. I've been using brush hog, blade, hay rake, and more for about 2 months now and have a heck of a time attaching and removing them to the 3 point hitch. Does anyone have any good recommendations to make this process easier or any guides on the proper way to do this (almost step by step)? Just looking to make my life a little easier and save some time. Thanks for any input in advance!

mendonsy

Equipment
B7500HST/LA302
May 28, 2012
Mendon, NY
3 point attachments are a PAIN no matter what you do. You might want to do some research on a 3 point quick hitch.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
Hey all,
I'm new to the tractor world .... have a heck of a time attaching and removing ... to the 3 point hitch. Does anyone have any good recommendations to make this process easier or any guides on the proper way to do this (almost step by step)? Just looking to make my life a little easier and save some time. Thanks for any input in advance!
see numerous video's available on youtube on this topic to give you some more info to work with. Then fire away on more specific questions.

WVUalum08

Equipment
2002 Kubota L3010
Apr 30, 2015
Kenna, WV
i guess one specific questions is what you all do as far as storing them. I've heard some people hanging them from chains in trees to make hookup easier, putting on cinder blocks.....any recommendations on that end?

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Yes they are a PIA, however I would say that placing your attachments on a flat level surface will make your like a lot easier. And it takes practice to back in and drop the 3pt right where it is suppose to be.
Also there is a quick hitch, of which I have no experience with, that from what I have heard will make life worth living again,,,lol

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Like Skeets said the flat level surface is a major factor. My Question is do you have turn buckles or telescopic stabilizers. If you have turn buckles you need to go order a set of telescoping. They make everything easier.

You ask about storage, that depends on the implement. I hang my post hole digger from a chain but the rest sit on the ground. Well, let me rephrase that. If needed I'll use 2x4 blocks or whatever other size is needed to keep the implement level.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
If you can leave them on a wood or concrete floor, you may be able to balance them on 3 furniture moving dollies depending on shape of implement. $10 ea at Harbor freight. Or make a more sophisticated dolly for each implement (maybe next week...:eek:)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
#1 get a Quick hitch!
#2 I have jack stands mounted to almost all of my implements that don't stand up on there own, Just drop the stand, open the quick hitch levers, drop the implement, and pull away.

The only one I still have to man handle is the Post Hole Digger and like Bulldog, it's hanging from a chain off the wood shed.

Last edited:

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
If you have do not have a place to unhook on a level surface, this is a procedure that I use.

1) Back up as square as possible to the implement.
2) Hook up to the lowest pin on the implement first.
3) connect the top link.
4) Slowly raise the 3pt until the second pin is at the correct height. (you can use a bungee cord to hold the second link to one side if it is in the way)
5) If the second pin is to far forward or back, move the tractor slowly to align the pin. If you have a FEL on, this can easily be done by pointing the bucket straight down, slightly lift the front end up, then with the tractor in neutral and at idle you can feather it backwards or forwards.

meackerman

Dec 1, 2014
Northern California
I've got a hydraulic top link so I usually connect that first. leave the tractor in neutral and use the top link to maneuver the tractor/implement closer/farther away so that the lower pins line up. if one pin is lower than the other, connect that first, otherwise I connect the one on the other side of the tractor from the top link lever first. Some of my implements are on their own rolling stands which makes life a lot easier.
biggest thing I've found is taking it off in a good spot. I've taken an implement off, not really paying attention and it was a royal PITA to get it back on... uneven ground or tight location or whatever.

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Having more that one tractor, and lots of 3 point stuff, that I have parked all over the place, it is my conclusion in the 40 years that I have been doing it, that 3 point hitch was invented by a nut. That being said, I hook one lower pin, and put the click pin on, then drag to a flat spot. Then I back up and adjust steering to square up the other lower link. Helps to have a digger bar or a steel fencepost, nearby, for prying things into alignment... Then PTO, then toplink. Helps to have a healthy full vocabulary of the invective case.

If I had my druthers all equipment would be Allis Chalmers snap coupler. Back up, snap in lower coupler, turn around click the 2 top links shut. get off tractor and slide up PTO shaft, and put the pins in the top latch safeties... takes about a minute and a half, if you have the lower snap coupler sitting on a cinder block...:D:D

https://austinfrederick.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/snap-coupler-hitch-system/

Last edited:

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
.... Helps to have a healthy full vocabulary of the invective case.

If I had my druthers all equipment would be Allis Chalmers snap coupler. Back up, snap in lower coupler, turn around click the 2 top links shut. get off tractor and slide up PTO shaft, and put the pins in the top latch safeties... takes about a minute and a half, if you have the lower snap coupler sitting on a cinder block...:D:D

https://austinfrederick.wordpress.com/2013/04/07/snap-coupler-hitch-system/
It must be I don't have quite enough words to cover it, wearing out the ones I have....:D

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

Attachments

Last edited:

WVUalum08

Equipment
2002 Kubota L3010
Apr 30, 2015
Kenna, WV
this is why I love this forum....have concluded that 1 i need a quick hitch, and 2 if i don't get one it's still just a pain in the butt...haha. Thanks all!

OldeEnglish

Equipment
B7100D, MMM, B205 Dozer Blade, woods m48, b2910
Jul 13, 2014
Western, MA
Different style dollies are always helpful to drop the attachments onto as long as your on a hard surface. Makes attaching and removal a breeze along with telescoping stabilizers.