Honing hydraulic cylinders

CJN8

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, Gearmore Box Blade, Bush Hog, Cimmeron Rake
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
I am rebuilding my hydraulic cylinders and I want to hone them before I install the new seals. I plan on using a flex hone but my only issue is the hone is not long enough. I am looking for a drill extension but all I am finding are extensions with the hex adapter in the end for quick bits. Any suggestions?

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Look for drywall or other in wall "long" bit systems. They are usually on the Greenlee rack at Home Despot and made for drilling through fire breaks in standard stick built housing. They can have screw binding ends on them other than the hex shank.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I made one out of 3/8" all thread. Cut it to what ever length you need. Take a hack say and cut a curf on one end about 2" through the center. I use one of those sanding wheels that is about 2" wide and has a several pieces of grit paper attached at the center. Put a piece of hose over the all thread to protect the cylinder. Use a 1/2" variable speed drill to polish all you want.

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
.... Take a hack say and cut a curf on one end about 2" through the center. .....
:confused: hack say = hack saw? Curf = Curve?? or Curf = Kerf = notch?*

* looked it up. Had never heard nor seen the word curf/kerf before. Learned something new today thanks.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
hey coach, yes it should be hacksaw, like a hand held arm actuated tool with a 14" long metal toothed blade held by a metal "C" shaped bracket, and tightened by a wingnut on a threaded rod with a tab to hold one end of the blade.

The Kerf (if that's the correct spelling) is the space left in material after a saw blade has made a pass through it.

CJN8

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, Gearmore Box Blade, Bush Hog, Cimmeron Rake
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the responses, guess I will run by the depot and see what I can come up with.

brmax

Equipment
generation
Dec 3, 2014
Jefferson City, Missouri
I have used the 3 stone style many times, the long ones.
What kind of condition is the interior because it can take some time if they are pitted.
Most of the hones have a detachable part that's flex and mountable in the drill, the opposite end in usually threaded to the actual tool.
I have used this part with a home made rod of different lengths, might have to weld a long nut on a rod.
Maybe the ball hones are cheaper now, but i sure have went thru some long stones in hd grit.
A simple clean up wont last, pits have to be gone. I have re did some others work, that i paid for and wasn't happy a year later.
It can be done and you can do it don't get me wrong, just recommend the 3 bar and a pack of extra stones in 220

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/wc...384B/large/22981330_lis_lis23500_pri_larg.jpg