Homemade Generator

tmckinley

Equipment
JD 1050, Kubota L2850
Oct 2, 2024
Kernersville, NC
Hey folks, New to the forum. I figured my latest project might be of some interest to yall. I recently bought an old V1702 4cyl diesel off of a buddy of mine. It was originally in a bobcat skid loader. It was missing some parts and needed some attention. Hasnt been run in years. I got a flywheel, bell housing, throttle plate, shutoff plate, lift pump, and solenoid. It runs like a champ now. I welded an engine stand with some 1-inch steel tubing. I had an idea after seeing the aftermath of Hurricane Helene and decided to make a generator. I did some rithmetic and research and decided that 15kw should be plenty to run all my home appliances. I have been working on getting some engine accessories like switches, gauges, sensors, etc. My goal is to have a robust, self regulating generator on a budget. I am working on finding a generator head and a governer to regulate the engine speed and therefore regulate the AC frequency. If I opt out of that then the loaded frequency will be lower than it would be unloaded. Any advise or critiques are welcomed.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
possible option.....
trade the engine for a good generator ?
If the engine came FROM a Bobcat, it might be worth some serious coins as a replacement ?

tmckinley

Equipment
JD 1050, Kubota L2850
Oct 2, 2024
Kernersville, NC
possible option.....
trade the engine for a good generator ?
If the engine came FROM a Bobcat, it might be worth some serious coins as a replacement ?
But where’s the fun in that 😀. I did look into this and apparently the v1702 was a less powerful engine than the v2203. And most people just drop the 2203 in place of the v1702. It would not be worth it for me to sell it and try to find a good 15kw generator

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
What is the HP rating of the v1702?

Sufficient to drive a 15kW generator?

Sounds like you’ve researched this quite a bit.

. Engine control seem to be something to look out for when converting uses to a generator or compressor from an an engine that was designed for a skid steer.

Look forward to your project, and certainly hope you’ll document it here!

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
I'm all for' bodging' ! but.. just thought I'd give you an option before you get 3/4 way through and 'wouldashouldacoulda' is spoken....

engine is 35-40HP, so should power the genny fine.