Help with PTO length

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
I have a Bush Hog RTS50-03 tiller and was able to use the PTO shaft that came with it, but I had to take my 3pt quick hitch off. The PTO shaft is to short with the quick hitch on, it only overlaps 3".

I have never bought a PTO shaft and was wondering what length to buy. I measured from the center of the U-joint on the tractor and on the tiller, that was 32". So what length do I buy? The shaft that came with the tiller has a sheer bolt, should I get another one with a sheer bolt, or would a slip clutch be better?

russell.still.5

Aug 28, 2017
Lafayette, Alabama
I’ve always ordered my pto shafts longer than I needed and then cut them to fit. I would find one with a collapsed length close to the length you measured and cut from there if needed.

Could you add a slip clutch behind your current pto shat and it be long enough?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RBA50

Equipment
B2320, LA304 loader (B1658 QA), B2789 snowblower, RCK54-29B MMM, HF quick hitch
Apr 29, 2013
Goldendale, WA
A driveline shop can replace the shafting with longer ones, or sell you the material to do it yourself. That way you only pay for the shaft material and not new yokes, etc. I've done it myself on my snowblower shafts that I had cut before I got the quick hitch.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
MD, you might check with your local farm supply store and see if they have some PTO adapter parts. Something like this may solve your problem.
That would take care of the problem. Will have to check the local store to see what they have.

mdhughes

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901DT
Dec 10, 2014
Ste Geneveive county, MO
D2Cat,
I ordered a PTO extension last week and it came today. I couldn't use one like in the link you supplied, my PTO shaft on the tractor doesn't have a hole in it. A lot cheaper than ordering a new PTO shaft. This is what I ordered:

Attachments

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
D2Cat,
I ordered a PTO extension last week and it came today. I couldn't use one like in the link you supplied, my PTO shaft on the tractor doesn't have a hole in it. A lot cheaper than ordering a new PTO shaft. This is what I ordered:

Myself, I prefer the clamp on over the pin style. I've has some incidents where the pin style comes off. The clamp on ones never come off but are a but more expensive to buy.