Help with L2250 Front Axle Leak

wingmoto

Equipment
L2250 Loader and Backhoe
Mar 8, 2014
Bow
Hey everyone! New here to OTT. I apologize for just barging in here like this but I am a little stuck....
So I went out to start my tractor today and noticed some oil under the center of my from axle, right where the driveshaft goes in. It looks like the seal is gone, but I am not sure how to get everything out to replace it. Also, it looks like there might be multiple seals from the blow up diagram I have of my unit.
Has anyone undertaken this task? If so, how do I get at the seals?
I appreciate any help you can give. Going to order the parts on Monday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think you need to degrease all of the area, it looks to me like it's the front oil seal on the motor leaking more than it is the front axle.
The front axle is filled with a lot heavier oil than the motor and usually doesn't splash up like that everywhere.
Go to an auto parts store, home depot, Lowes, etc.. and get purple cleaner, clean everything off including the front of the motor.
Run it and look for leaks.

If turns out to be the front axle seal it's a fairly easy fix, just remove 10 bolts, remove the steering linkage and drop the axle out the bottom (can be left on if mechanical, you'll just have to replace the seals while it's under the tractor).

Last edited:

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
I agree with Wolfman. I don't think that is the oil from the front differential.

Big Orange

Equipment
L3650 GST LA650A FEL Howse 60 inch bush hog, Kubota L 321 60 inch snow blower
Jan 11, 2014
Ripley, Maine
I also agree with Wolfman.
Mine sprung a leak this past week and the oil is all low below the seal non showing above like yours
Good Luck!!;)

wingmoto

Equipment
L2250 Loader and Backhoe
Mar 8, 2014
Bow
Hi Everyone and thank you for your quick responses. I have parts on order and should be in tomorrow at my local dealer. The extra oil you're seeing is likely from the steel hydraulic line that blew about 3 months ago and sprayed everywhere on me - the entire engine got covered. It has been freezing here in the NH so I've not been able to clean it off yet. The fluid that is coming out is very thick - like gear oil. I'm hoping to have some time this weekend and if the weather continues. I'll let everyone know how the project goes! :)

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Wingmoto, looks like from the pic your front axle pivot seals are shot too. Common wear item on L and B series machines.

Btw, I see you're in NH. I used to contract for Townline Equipment over in Plainfield, NH. You likely have dealers closer, but Townline has a great reputation and will really go the extra mile to help explain things to you and make sure you get the right part. Give them a shout.

Last edited:

JGL

Equipment
L2250,bushhog,cultivator,woodsplitter,buzzsaw,farmi winch,woods blade,harrows,
Feb 17, 2013
Dieppe, NB,Canada
Just finished changing the front oil seal . It's not a bad job , but you need a 1/13/16 deep socket to remove the lower belt drive on the crankshaft. It's best to take everything out ..battery, fan shaft, alternator, top of hood. The seal cost me $6.50.

wingmoto

Equipment
L2250 Loader and Backhoe
Mar 8, 2014
Bow
Well, thought my problem was solved. I was able to change the seal and for a while I didn't see anything, until this past weekend when I noticed it leaking again. The oil seal was shot and crumbled when I took it out. Wolfman, you might be correct!!! Still can't tell where it is coming from though. This is lighter oil though - definitely motor oil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk