Height Anti Scalp Wheels - Irritated

Trail

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, 60" Deck, Rear Blade
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
BX2360 60” MMM

Trying to find best height for anti scalp wheels. For a couple years I’ve been running them pretty low because I think I misunderstood the manual.

So I check out the manual, for 2”, which is where I do most my mowing, seems to want them at the bottom 2 or 3 hole. This is much higher than I have had them.

So in hole 3, the deck pretty much rides on the wheels. My understanding is they should just hit at certain points, but it’s almost constant.

So I raise the wheels up and move up to hole 2. Now I’m pretty much mowing all the grass off, revealing dirt.

There’s no choices between. What do I do?

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i7win7

Equipment
BX2370, B2650 grapple, tree puller, trailer mover, 3 point hoist, mower, tiller
Feb 21, 2020
Central, IL
Have BX2370 it uses a suspended deck (suspect BX2360 does also), It has a deck height adjustment knob under the seat. I do 3" spring & fall. Switch to 3 1/2" at 3rd mowing till fall. The wheels don't touch the ground until an irregularity is encountered (pothole,hump,ect). They do touch the grass and turn due to friction from the grass. I used to mow lower also. More height gives grass a better root system (according to Ask This Old House)

Tmar04

Equipment
Mowing
Aug 28, 2013
Eastman Georgia
I’m a little puzzled about height of mower deck. I don’t like to scalp lawn. I have my deck set at 3”. To get the three inch height, is that when you raise the suspended deck all the way up, or all the way down. I just don’t understand how it works ***128514;***128514; thanks to all

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
I’ve had my wheels too low, but when I went with Kubota’s suggestion for level 2, I definitely scalped the yard. So I put it at 3 with the corresponding wheel setting and had a pretty good cut.

You guys like 3 huh? Just a bit longer than I like.

Not sure why I scalped at 2. Suppose I’ll just have to play with it.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
I’ve had my wheels too low, but when I went with Kubota’s suggestion for level 2, I definitely scalped the yard. So I put it at 3 with the corresponding wheel setting and had a pretty good cut.

do you have a lot of contours in your yard? If so a suspended deck at low height isn’t going to work well, a ground contact deck would be better.

In any case, the bx suspended deck shouldn’t be riding on it’s wheels. you’ll damage stuff if it is. The hight is not set by the wheels, it’s the level knob. If changing the wheel setting, made it cut lower, you don’t have the hight knob set correctly. The MMM manual will tell you how to set it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN

The anti-scalp rollers are just that-anti-scalp rollers. They are not intended to set cutting height.

SDT

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
Thanks all.

I haven’t been very clear. I understand the knob controls height and the wheels should be set according to the picked height to avoid scalping. Also I get the wheels are not for height.

I had been running the deck mainly at 2”. I misunderstood something and had the anti scalp wheels too low. I finally checked the manual and verified this. So I put the wheels in the appropriate place and I scalped my yard a couple times. It wasn’t particularly hilly, but I’ll have to monitor where this is happening.

I think that because my wheels has been so low, in error, they ended up keeping my deck raised even though that wasn’t the intention. I don’t plan to run them that low, and am trying to have the wheels hover and just touch if necessary.

Hopefully that all makes sense. I plan to experiment and find a good cutting height.

Again, was just irritated I was scalping the yard, on 2, on fairly straight ground, with the wheels set appropriately. That was my main irritation.

beex

May 21, 2019
on my bx
2 is definitely too short. I run mine at 3.25. For me, anything less than 3 is a guaranteed scalp.

right, even if it didn’t scalp the grass, 2 is too low, the experts say anything below 3 is too short.

I used to have an L185 with a kubota ground contact deck. (most people had woods decks back then) It did a really good job a 2”, suspended decks are not going to be good a 2”.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
Thanks for the responses. Never felt like 2 is too short, but maybe that is too aggressive. I’ll give 3 with the actual right wheel setting a bit more and see how I like it.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
Just posting this as a reference for subject.

Trail

Equipment
Dec 11, 2016
Wisconsin
Thanks B737.

Full story is...I’ve had the BX for 7 years, but it’s the first anything like it I’ve owned. Never had a riding lawn mower.

On the deck itself there’s a diagram that shows the anti scalp wheel being set to a particular height. I always just used that assuming that was the setting. I’m actually not even sure what the diagram is for, maybe just to show how to put the pin in?

Anyway, I actually go through the manuals quite a bit but ignored that page you posted assuming it was irrelevant, until this year.

So my wheel setting has always been too low. That’s totally my fault.

B737

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX3310
Jun 9, 2019
USA
I’m hear you. I had never used the mower deck until this year so it’s been a learning curve for me too. This thread has been helpful.