Hard choice bx1870 vs 2370

Kubotamann21

May 18, 2016
RALEIGH
Hello all, I am new to the forum. I have read many posts on this topic, but can't find a clear answer of anyone's true experience with the 1870 unit. I have about 4 acres, maby 2 acres to mow, we have horses in the other 2. We do small projects, moving, spreading gravel, topsoil, mulch, moving hay, firewood etc, and a small amount of digging earth. A FEL is a must. Looking at 54' MMM. Wanting to use turf tires. And the rear PTO would never be used. Just a landscape rake on the 3 point. I have tested the 2 models, but can't tell any real difference just driving around the lot. No time with the FEL. (Units Weren't setup with it) my question is, will I wish I got the 2370? Is the 1870 impressive for it's size? There is about a $2500 difference in the two here. Is the loader capacity more on the 2370? I just want to make the right choice and not wish I had got the other. I currently have a JD X304 and a KUBOTA Z723 for mowing. Just want a all in one package. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dr Honda

Equipment
BX1870
Mar 30, 2015
Pitt, PA
Get the BX1870! Saving the $$$ feels good. I got mine for right around $12k with a FEL and 48" deck. Going to the 52" wasn't going to be more than $100.

I mow about 2 acres, and it's got a few good hills. So, I use the 4wd. When I first got it, the RPM's would sag a little in high range, 4wd, going up the steep hills, while mowing. Because of that, I would just put it in low range. But now that I have 50 hr's on it... it runs up the hills in high range without an issue. (there has been a noticeable rise in power now that it's braking-in)

Even though it's only 18 hp... the torque is great! and unless you want to run a big 3-point brush cutter, or tiller... you don't need the extra HP.

Do a search, and you will see this topic a few times, asked just this spring.

Last edited:

ggreene3

Mar 3, 2015
upstate ny
I was between these two models and went with the 2370, because someday I would like to get a snowblower and figured the extra power would help. The only thing I feel like I've ever run out of with this tractor is counterweight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Many will say go with the smaller unit and save the $$$$ .......really cannot argue that - cause it is your $$$$$:)

However - more than a few here WISHED they had spent a little more and bought up a notch.....even if it is 2.5k !

You are simply buying more HP and a little large wheel size! But in the grand scheme of things...........

From 18hp to 23 is a good bump up ! That is a huge % of increase, like 30%.......but the more important thing might be the PTO HP, if you need/want a tiller - that extra will help a lot.

Tire size, ever notice that larger tires go through and over stuff better than smaller tires? I have the 2370......in 4wd and diffy lock on, I could NOT go up a 15 degree slope in the snow (8") ALL four were spinning! Point being - larger tires work better towards grip, the 23 series has a bit larger tire than the 18 series.

Again - it comes down to WHAT you want to do with it, but do think future thoughts!:D:)

Last edited:

TripleR

Equipment
BX2200, BX2660, L5740 HSTC, M8540HDC and some other tractors and equipment
Sep 16, 2011
SE Missouri
BX2370 with 60" MMM.

In the yard on less than really smooth ground the 2370 will give you a more comfortable ride over time.

# of times I've heard, "I shoulda gone smaller." 0
# of times I've heard, "I shoulda gone larger." Too many to track.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
When one is comparing two similar machines with a few differences it's real easy to focus on cost. Right now, how much does each one cost...... and it's pretty easy to let cost dictate your decision.

When life goes on, things happen you can not imagine at the moment. As you develop your ideas of your yard, horses, etc. things change....that's when you will wish you had "just a tad bit bigger machine"!

And if I had a zero turn mower, I'd keep it. It will out mow any tractor mowing your yard. It's a specialized unit, and does it's job especially well!!

Save the expense of the belly mower and removing/installing it procedure.

That's what will REALLY give you buyers remorse.....when you sell the 0-turn for a belly mower!

dmbe

Jan 29, 2015
Altoona, pa
The biggest factor in my decision is the the 1870 would fit in my garage without lowering the rops. The one inch bigger tires on the 2370 would make it hit the door opening. I have FEL, 54 in mmm and snowblower and have not seen any problems with power. The only problem I had was last winter blowing 22 inches of snow. I had to take it a little slower or bog the engine down, but it did the job.

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have the BX1860 and I wish that I had bought the BX2360 for the extra power. D2Cat hit the nail on the head about keeping your zero turn mower. I have the 54" mower deck and while it is a good mower, it can be really inconvenient at times. You will often have to take the mower deck off from your tractor for maintenance and just to keep from wreaking it when performing other work. I have to remove mine at least twice each month. Also, the mower deck on the tractor cannot get into tight places where the zero turn mower can.

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
Can't begin to imagine that you would be less than happy with either one. Yes, the difference in HP as a percentage is big. However, we went with the smaller 1870, FEL, 54" deck and Kubota bagger. Steep hill, tall grass, nearly full PTO driven bagger....... really does not seem to pull the RPM's down at all. With the FEL, lifting a full bucket of gravel is no issue although ballasting is an important consideration. On paper, we gave up a great deal of HP. From a practical stand point (my opinion), we gave up a tiny bit of traction (tire size and machine weight), a little bit of lift and breakout force and some PTO horsepower. We also gained a little bit in over head clearance and a tiny bit in turning radius. We MAY have also gained a bit in fuel economy when not working its' guts out.

Three reasons to buy the 2370:
1. You simply like it better.
2. You like bigger PTO driven implements.
3. You don't plan on keeping it. I have been told the 2370 is the best seller in the series.

Again, I bet you will be happy with either one. For the use you are describing, both of them will do a fine job with plenty of capacity in reserve.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I recently agonized over the same decision. I ended up with the 1870 because the 48" deck is better for my property than a 54", and you can only get the smallest deck on the smallest tractor. (The larger rear tires on the 2370 would hit the scalp wheel mounts on the 48" deck.)

I was seeing a $1900 difference in quoted price between the two, both equipped with smallest deck and a FEL. While I would have paid that much for the HP gain, I agree with the others who feel that the 1870 doesn't display signs of being underpowered in the use I've put it to. And thus I also feel that you can't go wrong with either.

Kubotamann21

May 18, 2016
RALEIGH
Thanks for all of the responses, my dealer quoted me $11,288 for bx1870 with FEL, landpride landscape rake, no mower. I will do my mowing with the z723. The bx2370 is $13,888, same setup. I have a 6x12 single axle trailer for my lawn care setup, I think it will fit, I may also use this for small jobs for other people. I'm really leaning towards the 1870. 0% down, 0% interest for 60 months.This sounds like a decent deal to me. I'll be honest, I drove a 2670 and was amazing. I wanted it then. I just think the 1870 will be good for me. Wheel weights are also included in price. Let me know any last thoughts before I go for it. Just cannot justify the difference. Thanks everyone!

Ramos

Equipment
1870-1, LA203A, RCK54
Feb 25, 2016
Sherman County, Oregon
My only last thought: Go for it!

Even the 1870-1 has plenty of HP and torque to spin three tires (diff lock) while doing loader work without bogging down! :D

Kubotamann21

May 18, 2016
RALEIGH
I think I will go for it! I'll find out its limitations, which I doubt I will ever come across them... Hope I'm doing the right thing here. Thanks again everyone!

stutrac

Mar 30, 2016
Bethany ct
i too was going through the same choice GR 2120 and 2370 vs 1870 and all i read online is lack of HP on the 1870 (never noticed) and defective transmissions on the GR, but it all comes down to $$$$ and a deal,and i only have 1/2 acre or so to cut, so i ended up buying a 1870 and i mow 95% of the time, i also have the triple bagger ,loader,48" mower deck and utility blade, i picked the 1870 was price,and versatility ,i cut 3 house lawns all are under 1 acre and cuts nice,also they did not want a large tractor cutting their lawns, so the size of the tractor was a choice for me too,i live in the suburbs so i have no farm or a business that would warrant a bigger tractor and extra cost,regarding resale it all matters to cond of machine and attachments and over all maint history.i know down the road i will be down sizing my house so i factored that too, i did not want a large tractor either.all the 1870 is to help me move and get things like you listed that is why i have the loader.the 1870 is a step up from the GR 2120 and the step down from the 2370,

Martywoodburner

Equipment
BX 2670-1, 60 MMM, FEL, Back Blade, Front mount Snowblower
Apr 17, 2015
Kirtland Hills, OH
Either way you will not regret it however if you are still thinking about it I am always for more power and would go for the 2370.
Just my two cents.
We do need pictures when you make up your mind !!

spineman

Oct 12, 2016
Clayton, DE, USA
I am one of those who went with the 1870 and now regret it. I am going to trade it for a 2370. I personally find the power is not enough especially in heavy grass the engine bogs down considerably. Now it going to cost me even more to eat the depreciation on the 1870. Go with the bigger one. The tires are too small also for any loader work and the 2370 has over 100lbs more capacity.

StephenB

Equipment
Bx1880,MMM, loader.
May 24, 2017
Nova Scotia
I have the 1880 and have no regrets on buying it, I use it for front end loader work, MMM cutting almost 4 acres and using a 4 foot bush hog and have not lacked for power in any of those tasks. I believe the lift capacity of the loaders on those two are the same also :)
You might be better to look at the next class up from the BX.

JackJ

Equipment
BX1870-1
Mar 14, 2016
Indiana
I am one of those who went with the 1870 and now regret it. I am going to trade it for a 2370. I personally find the power is not enough especially in heavy grass the engine bogs down considerably. Now it going to cost me even more to eat the depreciation on the 1870. Go with the bigger one. The tires are too small also for any loader work and the 2370 has over 100lbs more capacity.
I'm a happy 1870 owner, and went that way mostly because the 48" deck is a better fit for lots of tight spaces and trails on my property. But if that model doesn't fit your needs, I'd be wary of trading up just to the 2370. On paper that's a nice jump in horsepower. But I'm not sure if you'll see that much of difference in actual use. If you need a more capable tractor, you might not be satisfied until you're in the B or L series, with 26 HP (or more) and more torque. If it were me, I'd try to arrange a trial, or even rent one of the bigger BXs to see if it meets the need.