GST Glide Shift Transmission on L2550 help

Carlmims@gmail.com

Equipment
Kubota L2550 GST
Oct 6, 2012
Bon Agua, TN
Looking for detailed knowledge on the Glide Shift Transmission GST.

I have a L2550 GST with Glide Shift Transmission with only 4th and 8th gear working. The tractor sat for over 1 year at a "friends", when started it would only move in 4th or 8th gear. I have found out that person ran in 4th gear only for 1-2 years doing bush hogging due to the problem. Brought home, cleaned up, changed engine oil, transmission fluid, filters, etc... Cables on shift selector were bad, replaced entire shift selector assembly and cables etc. Externally the shifter moves fine.

Same thing only runs in 4th or 8th. Power steering works fine and 3 point hitch works perfect under loads. Clutch works as expected. Fwd and reverse both work. Sometimes 4th is actually moving at more like 1st. Go back to N and then 4th and you will be in 4th. Does not move in any other gear selection other than 4th or 8th. 8th is as expected very fast. Have run for a few hours hoping it would start working. Operates fine in 4th gear… lots of power, clutch works as expected… PTO, 3 point hitch, steering… etc.

I am trying to learn and even though mechanically inclined, I don’t want to tear into it before I have some detailed idea of what I am looking at. The following post scares me due to the cost.

http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7740&highlight=Gear L2950 GST 4WD with shifting problem

Seems like it could be

1. Bad hydraulic circuit on shifter… don’t fully understand how this works since I have not seen a repair manual
2. Is shifter some how stuck
3. Bad gears similar to above post. Very costly for 3 main gears?

I don't suspect clutch problems since it works fine. Also transmission fluid is correct and filters have been primed... seems to be working fine.. help me here. Seems like there are some strange problems out there.

If you have knowledge on GST transmission or a page from the repair manual that would help I really could use some pointers.

Also, trying to figure out similarities between Kubota models and what their model numbers mean.

Dcdlehi

Jan 22, 2017
Lehi, Utah, USA
Carlmims, I read you post with great interest. I'm having the exact same problem with my L3650DT / GST. After replacing the main shift assembly (The old one had a broken cable) 4th & 8th are the only gears that will engage and 4th acts more like 1st. Sounds familiar doesn't it. I see that your post is several years old but I didn't see that anyone responded. Did you ever find a resolution to your problem?
We're getting record snowfall in Utah this year and not having a working tractor is kicking my butt. Thanks for your time. Cole.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a L3450 GST and have completely rebuilt the transmission, I'm talking every part and every O-ring, to which there is like 78 O-rings if I remember right.
I would say #1 the shift cable is not adjusted properly or the rotary valve needs rebuilt or was not properly installed or set up.

Do you have the WSM for your tractor, if not tall me and I can send you a link to download a copy.

It worked fine before the shift cable broke right?
could be you have the valve 180 deg out too.
Did you make sure the dot on the end of the rotary valve was up?
Page M.3 -31 shows it.
If you do go to page S.3-54 and it walks you through adjusting the cable.

Dcdlehi

Jan 22, 2017
Lehi, Utah, USA
NIW, thanks for responding, I've noticed/read several of your posts and it's obvious you're very experienced and truly are interested in helping others....I'm impressed.

Partial history. I bought this Kubota from a landscape/property maintenance company and It was used fairly hard, quite often. Before I broke the shifter cable (rust caused failure) everything worked great.

I do have the appropriate WSM and did review the pages that you mentioned before I started this project. I believe it was one of your responses in a different thread that talked about making sure the dimple was in the neutral or straight up position which I verified carefully. Somewhere on OTT I read that the cable adjusters are finicky and a little goes a long way.....any advice with this would be greatly appreciated. I may need to disassemble and verify proper alignment (as soon as it stops snowing).:eek:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The way to check it is have it in an open spot, put the shiftier in neutral then engage the shuttle to forward (should not move) slowly move the shifter forward towards first and when it goes in gear you will know if it's before or after the detent and then adjust the cable accordingly.
I'm pretty sure the reason you only have 4th and 8th is the transmission truly never goes into neutral (unlike a manual transmission and the default state is high gear in low range(4th) and high range (8th), because the range is a big long slot on the rotary valve it will always default to one or the other, and in order to hit the lower gears the rotary valve needs to be exact or very close.
The ports on the rotary valve are very small.

Dcdlehi

Jan 22, 2017
Lehi, Utah, USA
NIW, ** UPDATE **. Now that the winter weather has subsided (and I no longer need to push or lift snow) I've made time to dive back into the L3650 shifting issue and I'm glad beyond words that SHE LIVES!. You were spot on with your suggestions. I started by accessing the business end of the shift cable and removing the three bolts and once it was removed and closely inspected he rotary valve end.....low and behold there it was, the rotary valve 180 degrees out. Obviously I was either overly confident or arrogant but a big slice of crow pie ***127856; goes a long way when you're already full of yourself.
Anyway, Spring is soon be come and the "to do" list is longer than usual but, I wanted to say Thank You for the suggestions and advice. It made the painful nearly painless.
Cheers, Cole.

Reactions: 1 user

troverman

Equipment
MX6000 HSTC; 2020 Kubota Z421KW-54 zero turn mower
Jun 9, 2015
NH
Good to hear. How many hours are on your GST tractor?

zeaston

Equipment
l3010 gst
Jun 25, 2018
Blacksburg, VA
Just found this post, and having a similar, although not identical issue with my l3010 GST transmission.

When I put it in gear (any gear) the tractor moves for a few seconds at that seems like normal speed, then slows down, to the point where the only gears it moves in are 1 and 2, and very slowly. The main gear selector works, verified by taking it off the GST control valve and moving.

All the hydraulics and PTO work fine. Have changed the hyd oil and filters.

Afraid it might be in the control valve....
Any ideas would be great.

Zach

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When I put it in gear (any gear) the tractor moves for a few seconds at that seems like normal speed, then slows down, to the point where the only gears it moves in are 1 and 2, and very slowly.
Sounds like you have a clutch pack issue, either with the seals or with the pack itself.