Grill guard pricing

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
Don’t forget, Messick’s isn’t the only Kubota dealer out there and most likely not the only only dealer selling grill guards. If they don’t want to find better shipping rate, then call other dealers. Your local dealer may sell the same or similar product without paying shipping because they get it in on a stock order.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Heck in metro areas folks get their goods the same day, sometimes multiple deliveries from orders on the same day. Think of the social costs on that with demands on already overcapacity transportation systems and additional transit delays that everyone suffers. I think that “free” shipping is getting paid for in more ways than meets the eyes.
Guilty as charged sir!

I get much of my stuff 'same day" or within 24 hours.

I, all but refuse, to go to the store anymore. It's just not worth the hassle. (I just went to wally World and after 15 minutes of looking for someone, the "essential worker" finally strolls by, and it ended up that they were out of Rotella in store, so I had to order it from them online anyway)

Oh, and don't even get me started about some "16 year old, zit-faced kid" trying to give me advice about basically anything.....LOL

I have cheese in my refrigerator that is older and wiser than most of the "help" today.

I feel like that "Grumpy old man" that yells out the door "Get off my lawn!!!!!!" 😂 😂

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Shipping Included is the better way to phrase it. It greatly reduces the chances of the thread being peppered with "shipping isn't free" posts, and the resulting back and forth.

When I bought my WoodMaxx MX chipper, shipping was included. Later they reduced the price of the chipper, but they added a shipping charge. The total delivered price remained the same.

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Guilty as charged sir!

I get much of my stuff 'same day" or within 24 hours.

I, all but refuse, to go to the store anymore. It's just not worth the hassle. (I just went to wally World and after 15 minutes of looking for someone, the "essential worker" finally strolls by, and it ended up that they were out of Rotella in store, so I had to order it from them online anyway)

Oh, and don't even get me started about some "16 year old, zit-faced kid" trying to give me advice about basically anything.....LOL

I have cheese in my refrigerator that is older and wiser than most of the "help" today.

I feel like that "Grumpy old man" that yells out the door "Get off my lawn!!!!!!"

I'm the opposite most of the time. Next day or 24hr shipping aren't really a thing for me. Except from best buy and farm and fleet for some reason.

I had Amazon until covid. Just for the free two day shipping. During and after however they would hold onto my packages and not ship them out for up to a week. And that was "shipped to and sold by amazon". Most of the time trying to buy from home depot and the like trying to track orders as they are split up into 8 seperate shipments is just irritating.

I'd rather just go into a store and pick up what I need. Sure its a 30min drive minimum, but atleast I get what I need and everything is correct.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I just discovered a place Sunday in Mid-Michigan that has nice looking grille guards and fair prices. Also you can get them painted or bare metal if you want to do something custom.
I ordered one for my LX that should be here Tuesday...

Reactions: 1 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I had Amazon before it was cool. I bought books from them when that was what they primarily sold. I turned on my friends to it... "Free shipping!" I'd buy soap and toothpaste and bolts and oil and oil filters and rubbing alcohol.... EVERYTHING. .. and never have to leave home!

Wish I knew what Amazon would become! I'd have sold my house just to buy more stock in Amazon! Lol

Anyway, now that I'm living in the sticks, Amazon ain't so cool. They delivery to my post office, which is in town 10 miles away. Which is the closest town. So, I now drive to town and help out the locals and buy from them. Cuz I gotta go there anyway for Amazon deliveries.

Except for the hard to find unique tools and parts. Then it's Amazon.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I hear people complain all the time...there isn't sheet in this town...everyone has to order it in...or we have to drive to (insert city name here) to find it, or to get it cheaper. My response is always something to the affect...that's what happens when no one supports local businesses.

I've said along the same lines for the last 3 decades. Then, how much did you save (140 mile round trip) out of town?

The populace made the business society what it is today.

jyoutz

Equipment
MX6000 HST open station, FEL, 6’ cutter, forks, 8’ rear blade, 7’ cultivator
Jan 14, 2019
Edgewood, New Mexico
I hear people complain all the time...there isn't sheet in this town...everyone has to order it in...or we have to drive to (insert city name here) to find it, or to get it cheaper. My response is always something to the affect...that's what happens when no one supports local businesses.

I've said along the same lines for the last 3 decades. Then, how much did you save (140 mile round trip) out of town?

The populace made the business society what it is today.
I’d say it is a result of both the consumer and businesses. Small businesses have failed to adapt to the current work schedules. Most are closed in the morning when I go to work and closed in the evening after work. So I shop at big box stores and if they don’t have what I want, I go to Amazon. I can’t buy anything from a business if they are closed when I have time to shop.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
The internet is the reason brick and mortar businesses of everysize are going away. You can shop for underwear, or a new Super Duty, or even a house. In your underwear. At 3am.
Digital bank deposits and pay your bills online.
Sign legal documents... online.
The worlds a changin' and not everyone's happy.
It was convenient and cool in the beginning.
Now it scares the s#!÷ out of me.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Overleaf

Equipment
Grand L6060
Oct 14, 2023
North MS
I just discovered a place Sunday in Mid-Michigan that has nice looking grille guards and fair prices. Also you can get them painted or bare metal if you want to do something custom.
I ordered one for my LX that should be here Tuesday...
Wow, those look good and if the chin guard is included its the most reasonable product I've seen so far and with free shipping. Will give them a call. Thanks.

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
My thoughts on grill guards is that they're all limited by the fact that they have to be shipped and they have to bolt in. Both factors severely limit design and installation options. If you make your own you're not limited.

I have $50 into a 3" receiver for a military truck that is 10x better than anything you can buy, and about 1/10th the cost. I suggest that in these expensive times, we focus on acquiring skills that allow us to get away from paying someone else's mortgage and bring a lot of satisfaction as well. I admit that I don't like paying anyone to do anything but there's a lot of low hanging fruit to be had.

Daferris

Equipment
LX2610
Nov 23, 2021
Mid-Michigan
I just finished installing the LX grille guard from Broken Anvil Metalworks. Really impressed with the fit and finish. Not a sharp edge anywhere. It's made from 11 gauge steel (1/8" thick). Looks nice and does not appear to ruin the output from the headlights so they are still as usable as they are. ( considering the loader is in the way most the time). I think it took longer for the paint to dry on the holes I drilled than it took to install it. They also for the bigger tractors have an option to add lettering to the guard. Does not appear to cost extra either.
Their site is https://brokenanvilmetalworks.com/

Attachments

Reactions: 3 users

Overleaf

Equipment
Grand L6060
Oct 14, 2023
North MS
Appreciate all the comments and suggestions. After looking at most options I decided to go with Lown Performance to get both grill guard and chain bucket for underneath protection.

Significantly more money than I originally planned but appears to give more protection. I'm learning that all things tractors costs more than I thought I would spend.

I started this thread because of Messick's $130 shipping fee. At least Lown was only $30 shipping.

Thanks everyone for your input.

MK

Ammobeetle

Equipment
L4060HSTC
Jan 8, 2020
Hallsville, MO
I was looking at the Messick's guard until I saw the shipping price. I don't mind paying 'reasonable' shipping, but a company shouldn't be making shipping a profit center. Went with a Homestead.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I went with Homestead Implements grill guard, thought the price was good and the shipping was free.
I always get a chuckle out of: "shipping was free".
The reality is:..... shipping was already included.....in the offered/posted price.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

PaulL

Equipment
B2601
Jul 17, 2017
NZ
I was looking at the Messick's guard until I saw the shipping price. I don't mind paying 'reasonable' shipping, but a company shouldn't be making shipping a profit center. Went with a Homestead.
I'm pretty sure Neil's addressed this in one of his videos before. Shipping isn't a profit centre, they pass on the UPS charges at cost. The problem is that a bunch of other companies subsidise the shipping, which presumably means that they're charging the customers that buy in person more than the could, in order to subsidise shipping for other people.

Messicks have pretty low prices, but they don't subsidise the shipping. I'm OK with that as a decision. I usually don't look at the shipping in isolation, I just look at the total price delivered to my door. Which bit they choose to call shipping and which bit they choose to call product price makes no difference to me.

Reactions: 2 users

UpNorthMI

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200, L3901, MX5800, SVL75-2, KX040
May 12, 2020
Up North, MI
Another vote for Lown Performance grill guard and their lower chain box cover.