Greasing All the points on a BX - what do you use?

34by151

Equipment
bx23s
Jan 12, 2019
Peachester, QLD, Australia
Tried that. Fully extended through fully stowed. My next plan is to remove the zerk and try to remove every drop of grease from the opening to see if it's somehow clogged, but failing that it'll be a call to the dealer if there's not an idea from this group!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
What type of gun are you using manual or powered?
Powered guns can push the grease with much higher pressure.
I have macnaught air operated guns (one for each type of grease)
The benefit of these over battery ones is you can control the pressure.

A manual gun will have something like 4000 psi where an air gun will deliver 12000 psi +

Faced with and issue like yours I would crank up the air pressure which normally would force the grease though.

Failing that check the nipple (which you have done) then pull it all apart, remove the grease, reassemble and apply new grease

Last edited:

shiraz627

Equipment
BX23S Piranha toothbar, Underarmor, PFL1242 pallet forks, BXpanded thumb, ripper
Aug 1, 2018
Kingsland. GA
I've got a BX23S that I just greased for the first time too, but had ONE fitting (center pivot point for the backhoe) that refused to take grease. Pulled the zerk fitting out and replaced it with a new one, with the exact same results. Anyone have an idea of what to try next?

Is that the fitting at the top of the dipper? Highest fitting on the hoe.

rokhunter

Equipment
BX23S TLB
Dec 28, 2018
Baker, Florida, United States
What type of gun are you using manual or powered?
Powered guns can push the grease with much higher pressure.
My grease gun is 100% manual, the squeeze-handle type. It's what I grew up using, and was inexpensive. I figure the tractor was designed to be serviced with similar equipment so it should do the trick and, if not, it highlights something that needs to be fixed. I'll see what I can find after cleaning out the grease fitting area and go from there.

Pknpwr

Equipment
B2601, z122r
Nov 18, 2018
Staples Mn
For what it's worth I have not seen it mentioned in these replies but from personal experience you should not use Molly grease in roller bearings. We use to use it on trucks and we went through alot more u joints. There are stickers on some of the logging equipment we operate that specifically says don't use Molly in bearings. The Vermeer salesman also said not to use it on the chipper or grinder. We use Kendall super blue and Lucas red and tacky wich both work well. Just my 2 cents.

Captain13

Equipment
M7040 4WD ROPS, ZD28, Woods (84” box blade, 72” harrow, 48” pallet forks)
Feb 27, 2019
Kathleen, GA
What is the best way to grease the zerks on a PTO shaft? It is a real pain to grease the shaft on my rotary cutter. I am tempted to try the lock n lube but it is stupid expensive (like everything else tractor related :rolleyes:)
Disconnect the shaft from the PTO so that you can flex it at the universal joints and access the zerks.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Moly is intended for sliding shafts and PINS such as on the bucket and FEL zerks. Chassis/bearing grease should be used on all else.
Get two guns and mark what you keep in them.

When a zerk will not take grease and you replace the zerk and it still takes no grease.... first suspect the grease gun...then suspect the zerk-hole not fully drilled/tapped.... then suspect the pin or channel beyond the grease-zerk is not clear.

Kmcmjmtm

Equipment
BX23s
Feb 15, 2019
OK
Regarding the plugged grease zerk, they make a tool for that. Fill a cylinder with light oil or solvent and tap a piston, it forces plugged grease out. I got mine at Napa, haven't had a chance to try it though.

JeepinMaxx

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2660, LA243 FEL, RCK54P-23BX MMM, BX2751 QH Subframe, BX2750D 50" Blower
Mar 27, 2018
Columbia, CT
Thanks for all the advice!

Picked up a tube of Moly EP grease for all the loader pins and I'll stick with bearing grease for the U-Joints