Grease for backhoe and loader

MaleHoe

Equipment
Kubota B2620 TLB, JD X495
Jun 23, 2016
Latrobe PA
I know Kubota recommends their grease with moly, but I hate grease with moly in it.

Why?, too hard to clean and before long the whole machine is a mess with grease that doesn't wipe off easily from the machine and my clothes.

I recently purchased a 2009 B2620 with backhoe and loader, the original owner sure liked moly grease, it was all over the thing and it took me a day and 20 rags to clean it up.

So finally to my question...what grease are you using for your backhoe and loader?

Anyone using grease without moly?

I just greased it yesterday with Lucas Red "N" Tacky Grease and am hopeful all will be fine. What I do like is how easy it is to wipe away all the "extra" that oozes out. It's red so it doesn't even show up as bad as having black grease smeared all over an orange machine.

Here's a link to the Lucas Red "N" Tacky grease;
http://lucasoil.com/products/grease/red-n-tacky-grease

Any real reason not to use this stuff?

eipo

Equipment
L4060
Dec 1, 2015
MI
"red N tacky" has been around forever. Its a great general purpose grease.

The difference is with a Moly grease, you generally can go longer between greasing since the moly tends to build up over time and then wear off. Moly grease is usually whats in sealed bearings and the like since the "moly" continues to lubricate over time.

I use Mobil 1 synthetic grease, which just happens to also be red.

Reactions: 1 users

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I find that moly grease pumps easier, its a lighter grease than most "EP2" grease. I prefer stuff that likes to hang around.

Any grease is better than no grease at all. Best to follow the reccomended lubricating interval than to let it go. Bushings and pins are pricey to replace.
Replaced something like 10 pins, was expensive.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
You don't have to use moly grease but it's better quality than most.

Try using it and just cut back on the amount. I use Amsoil off-road grease with 5% moly. My loader tractor gets used nearly every day for something and it only gets greased 2 or 3 times a year. You can use moly grease without it getting on everything if you use it right.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
My preference is for a good quality sticky red grease, but I'm a firm believer that any grease is better than no grease. Most, if not all, of my pin-related issues are from POs using no grease- even cheap, crappy grease would have been than no grease at all.

Reactions: 1 user

OrangeJoe

Equipment
B2650
Sep 15, 2015
Henniker, NH
Grease with Moly is for "extreme pressure" applications, which is why Kubota and others specify this for the backhoe & FEL. It sure is messy however I do use it (5% Moly).

Reactions: 1 user

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Grease the back of the hoe and loader?!

Loader?! I hardly know her! :p:p:p

Sorry OP, this subject is full of innuendo! LOL :eek:

MaleHoe

Equipment
Kubota B2620 TLB, JD X495
Jun 23, 2016
Latrobe PA
Thank you to the 4 people with helpful replies to my question. :)

When I have a serious question about my tractor I'll know not to bother asking it here.

NEPA Guy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650HSDC, Spacers, FEL, BH, Snowblower, Snowplow, PBar, Forks
Nov 28, 2015
Pennsyltucky
Thank you to the 4 people with helpful replies to my question. :)

When I have a serious question about my tractor I'll know not to bother asking it here.
With a screen name like Male Hoe I thought you had a sense of humor. My bad.

Boo

Equipment
MX5800; BH92, BB2572, Forks 3048
Jul 1, 2016
HOLT, Florida
I deal with grease regularly, but my major experience in on aircraft. The posters which tell you that molybdenum disulfide is a very valuable chemical. In grease, it is used where strong pressures are found as it tolerates those pressures better than other lubricants.

"MoS2 is relatively unreactive, being unaffected by dilute acids and oxygen. In its appearance and feel, molybdenum disulfide is similar to graphite. Indeed, like graphite, it is widely used as a solid lubricant because of its low friction properties and robustness. Molybdenum disulfide (MoS2 )."

It appears that it works well with both natural rubber and synthetic seals. I would not be worried about using it. I don't have a Kubota manuals yet, and I am not in a position at the moment to visit a dealership, but that is my take on it.