Grapple Width for SCL1000?

pacesetter42

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2022
WV
I’m deciding between a 36” or 48” grapple for an SCL1000. (Claw style - rounded on both sides). I’m trying to decide which width will be more useful. I have a 48” for my BX23S which works great but no experience with anything else. I’m wondering if I should just get a 36” for the SCL1000 so it fits the width of the machine. Has anyone used different sized grapples in these smaller sizes? Can you give any advice on how you liked or disliked having the 36” width? Was the smaller width ever a problem rather than productive?

36” seems like it will be fine and nice to fit the width of the machine but +6” on each side is not really that much so I almost think I want to go with the extra width just to grab a bit more.

Thanks for any input on making this decision.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
It’s what i would call a ‘mini-skid’ but i guess kubota calls it a Stand-on Compact Loader (SCL).

They almost all use the ‘mini skid quick attach’ coupler which isnt sold on BXs although it probably should be. Mini skid attachments are much more appropriate in size and weight for a BX then a typical full size SSQA attachment is.

I would say stick to 36” just so you dont put any new limits on where you can fit the machine into. If you are grabbing long or bushy material that can hang out past the ends you’re not really losing much from the 36” vs 48”. It may also be easier to use at times when you want to break into or rake through the ground with the bottom tines. Just my .02.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
36" is the best bet for that unit. ;)

Reactions: 1 users

pacesetter42

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2022
WV
I think that’s good advice. 36” is what my gut is telling me too. I’ll still be able to grab materials that stick out the sides but keep the ability to squeeze in 36” areas. Plus that’s a great point about raking through roots — I’ll get more action into the ground with the smaller width. Thank you both!

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
+6” on each side is not really that much so I almost think I want to go with the extra width just to grab a bit more.

My SIL has the Vermeer 925 and got the 36 inch specifically so that he could fit it through residential gates.

When I show up to look at it, yep there it was with a 48 inch bucket.

Paul: "Hey I thought you got this for the "express purpose" of fitting though residential gates?"

SIL: I did.

Paul: Then why TF did you get a bucket that won't?

SIL: I wanted to be able to grab more.

Paul:

1692007533085.png

Last edited:

pacesetter42

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2022
WV
Your SIL sounds productive & efficient, lol.

I actually got mine to just get heavier work done in residential areas without tearing up the turf. Being light & slim is a bonus though. The Kubota's pin reach is 84" so I'll just lift it over the 6' gate.

I'm still getting the 36" grapple though. (y)

Thanks again, all.

Reactions: 1 user