Grapple Spraying Hydraulic Oil

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I removed my LandPride SGC 054 grapple from my tractor, which has new Summit flat-faced couplers installed on the hoses. As soon as I disconnected the couplings from the 3rd function valve the grapple started to close and the male coupler started spraying oil out until I put the male and female together. Is this normal or is the male coupling defective? I remember reading that the grapple is supposed to be stored in the open position so the cylinders are closed and that is the reason for my removing it in the open position.

old and tired

Equipment
L2800 HST; 2005; R4
The male coupler should not be spraying oil.... but then again, I would not leave the grapple in the open position.

I relieve all pressure in the system when I disconnect, if your open position doesn't have pressure, that's fine.

I just reattached my FEL, it was sitting a few months. I did have to jack-up the FEL to relieve pressure so I can connect things. (I have a chain hoist just for this reason).

Reactions: 1 user

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
I removed my LandPride SGC 054 grapple from my tractor, which has new Summit flat-faced couplers installed on the hoses. As soon as I disconnected the couplings from the 3rd function valve the grapple started to close and the male coupler started spraying oil out until I put the male and female together. Is this normal or is the male coupling defective? I remember reading that the grapple is supposed to be stored in the open position so the cylinders are closed and that is the reason for my removing it in the open position.
The male coupler is either defective, or it just has some debris preventing it from closing. No matter what position your grapple is in, the disconnected couplers should not allow fluid to flow.

As to storing the grapple open - I have the same grapple, and I reviewed the manual prior to posting. It only says to store the grapple level.

My grapple stays on my loader (except when I am using my bucket), and I always leave it closed. I do leave it partially open (face towards the ground) to disconnect/reconnect it to my loader; it makes it easier.

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
The couplers are new. I bought them from Amazon and they were shipped by Summit. Didn't see any labels as to where they were manufactured, but if it was "offshore" it is no wonder that they didn't work the way that they were intended. I would send it back to Amazon, but I am past the 30-day return period. Guess that I am just screwed.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
The couplers are new. I bought them from Amazon and they were shipped by Summit. Didn't see any labels as to where they were manufactured, but if it was "offshore" it is no wonder that they didn't work the way that they were intended. I would send it back to Amazon, but I am past the 30-day return period. Guess that I am just screwed.
Just buy a new grapple!
I am told that they are really cheap in CT.;)

Elliott in GA

Equipment
LX 2610SU w/535,LP RCR1860,FDR1660,SGC0554,FSP500, DD BBX60005
Mar 10, 2021
North Georgia
Contact Summit - they might help you troubleshoot or replace.