glow plug indicator

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
Depending on your machine model, you have either one or both of a glowplug timer and a glowplug relay; the units may be combined into one 'black box'.

What you are seeing is the timer or the relay trying to intermittently fail. When it finally fails completely your glowplug circuit will either cease functioning altogether or the glowplug indicator lamp will remain 'on'
continuously.

The units are mounted behind your dashboard on the 'firewall'

When changing one or both, change only one at the time so you know which has failed. Make a deal with your dealer to return the one you don't need. Use jumper alligator clips if required to prevent scratches on the contacts indicating 'installed'.

If the indicator lamp lights continuously it means the glowplugs are being continuously energized. You will start to notice the battery getting weak if you make a lot of short hops with the tractor. The alternator won't have to time to replenish the battery in short runs compared to the large amount of battery capacity being used to continuously energize the glowplugs (see below: owner couldn't figure out why battery kept losing power).

I've seen owners get around this by keeping the machine on a float charger when parked--just to get cranked, but don't shut down in the field. I have even seen a heavy battery cutoff switch installed at the battery: 'on' to start, then 'off' to operate so battery would not be drained by glowplugs. Didn't seem to hurt anything (CAUTION: your machine's computer may not appreciate this latter method). A manual switch on the glowplug circuit could also be installed. I'd be inclined to trouble-shoot and replace the failed component.

I gave about $70 for a new OEM glowplug relay couple years ago.

Please post back your continuing experiences so we may all learn.

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
From what I've seen, it's typically the controller, or timer that is bad. If the glow relay itself is bad, it either still stay on all the time, or not light at all. That controller takes a ohm reading from a thermoswitch on the thermostat housing, to gauge how long it should be on before the glow plugs go off.

houser52

Equipment
Kubota M7060HD, Kubota L3600, LA680 Loader
Jul 10, 2015
North Carolina
My L3600 GST started doing the same thing a few months ago. Changing the controller fixed it and now works as it should.

2point5ohyes

Equipment
L4310
Aug 13, 2015
Elma, NY
From what I've seen, it's typically the controller, or timer that is bad. If the glow relay itself is bad, it either still stay on all the time, or not light at all. That controller takes a ohm reading from a thermoswitch on the thermostat housing, to gauge how long it should be on before the glow plugs go off.
Can you explain what each does: the controller, timer, and relay? My issue is that the light stays on longer than it should, but then goes off after 30 seconds or so as I am running the engine. I have an L4310. When warm the glow light shoudl only be on a half second or less - it is staying on for what seems like a timed out amount of time, not because it is sensing the engine is warm.