Gear oil SAE 80

mllkn6

Equipment
L245 DT, front loader, backhoe, bushog, planters, grain drill, fertilizer sprea
Apr 29, 2017
Williamston, SC
Hi Guys,
I'm trying to find out what is the equivalent to Gear Oil SAE 80 as it has become hard to find around where I live and I need 7 gallons of it to go in the transmission of my L 245DT. Will Gear Oil 80w-90 work in it? Any help is appreciated, thanks.

rademamj1

Nov 30, 2019
Waco,Texas
Yes Indeed 80W-90 gear oil will work. Its the higher end of 80W. You can also use Kubota UDT fluid. You can also use fully synthetic transmission gear oil which often provides increased benefits at a cost. Check your specs, because i saw somewhere you needed 8.7 gals total fluid.

Last edited:

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You can also use universal tractor fluid in the older tractors.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Greg8352

Equipment
L245dt
Feb 6, 2020
Covington Ohio
Should work fine. I just used TSC trans hydraulic fluid in the 5 gallon pails to change my fluid. Got to keep the screen clean for 3pt lift to work properly.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Yes Indeed 80W-90 gear oil will work. You can also use Kubota UDT fluid.
Although... If it had or has gear lube in it, replacing with gear lube would make it less likely to leak due to substantially increased viscosity. the only thing I keep on my shelf is 75w-140 Valvoline Full Synthetic gear lube.... And that's what I have in my front axle. No sulfur smell with it either.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
The sulfur smell is due to an Extreme Pressure additive... and I WANT it in my Gear oil.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
The sulfur smell is due to an Extreme Pressure additive... and I WANT it in my Gear oil.
They can lessen the amount needed due to additional refinement and synthetic additives.

mllkn6

Equipment
Apr 29, 2017
Williamston, SC
Thanks fellows,
Forgot to mention my Kubota L245DT is a 1977 model I bought new back then with front end loaded and back hoe, other than the clips have been a great machine over the years and believe me it has been worked. Since then I've bought other implements to go with it and connect to the 3 point hitch.
I even use it to pull my 12' fertilizer spreader as it's cheaper to operate than my old 1950 John Deere "B", which is gas. The John Deere is my grandfather's tractor, he bought new with harrows, cultivators, and grain drill for $1,624 in 1950, lot of money back then too. I still got everything too and use it when needed.
Had to change out the cir-clips on my transmission, the one in front came off so changed both of them of the top shaft. Might as well do maintenance while it's down too. Bought 7 gallons of Gear Oil 80w-90, new screen also while I was at it, also changed the oil and filter, SAE 30, fuel filter, air filter and hydraulic filter. Got to put in a new battery also, old one is about shot.
I appreciate your help.
I'd like to especially thank Lance Newhall, who has talked me through changing out the cir-clip by phone as he is in California and I'm in South Carolina. Great gentleman and knowledgeable also, trust me I would have been lost without him. Thank you, Lance.
Again thanks for your help.

Last edited:

shootem604

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L245DT with Kubota (Arps Model 22) FEL and Kubota B/L4520B (Woods 650) BH
Apr 23, 2018
British Columbia
I used TSC Traveller hydraulic fluid for older tractors. Has the additives they need. Kubota did issue a bulletin in the 80's to update the manual from oil.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
One thing to note is that IF you can obtain the ORIGINAL SERVICE INFORMATION that some older tractors/equipt used a different “GL-rating for gear oils.

Todays rating is GL-5 which has LOTS of phosphors-type EP/AW additives which is fine for recently-mfr’d equipment. The problem is some older tractors have “yellow metals” such as brass/bronze bushings, etc. that are attacked by the EP/AW additives.

An example is the 1939 9-N Ford I had which originally called for GL-1 gear oil. The GL-1 had no EP/AW additive and using a GL-5 would expose any yellow metals to corrosive additives.

GL-1 is still available from oil distributors and some retail houses but you have to search for it. Just so happens the 9-N didn’t have any yellow metals in it’s gear-case so GL-5 was OK... but....Just FYI.

mllkn6

Equipment
Apr 29, 2017
Williamston, SC
I used TSC Traveller hydraulic fluid for older tractors. Has the additives they need. Kubota did issue a bulletin in the 80's to update the manual from oil.
Thanks, shooter604,
Lance suggested the same fluid also, but TSC carry 2 types, Traveller Renew Tractor Hydraulic Fluid and Traveller Renew Tractor Fluid, not sure what the difference is even the TSC guy didn't know.
He said they only carry the second one as it's the big seller around here and have only sold one 5 gallon can of the other one ever, it took them 2 weeks to get it in after ordering it, even though they say 5 business days so with everything going on now probably 3 weeks at best he said.
I'm waiting to hear back from Lance on which one to get.
Thanks for the information and help.

mllkn6

Equipment
Apr 29, 2017
Williamston, SC
One thing to note is that IF you can obtain the ORIGINAL SERVICE INFORMATION that some older tractors/equipt used a different “GL-rating for gear oils.

Todays rating is GL-5 which has LOTS of phosphors-type EP/AW additives which is fine for recently-mfr’d equipment. The problem is some older tractors have “yellow metals” such as brass/bronze bushings, etc. that are attacked by the EP/AW additives.

An example is the 1939 9-N Ford I had which originally called for GL-1 gear oil. The GL-1 had no EP/AW additive and using a GL-5 would expose any yellow metals to corrosive additives.

GL-1 is still available from oil distributors and some retail houses but you have to search for it. Just so happens the 9-N didn’t have any yellow metals in it’s gear-case so GL-5 was OK... but....Just FYI.
Thanks GeoHorn,
That is good information to know since I didn't know there was a GL-1 or GL-5 oil much less about the additives and what they do. Thanks again.