Gear oil New Bushhog ?

tater pop

Jan 13, 2014
Maud texas usa
I bought a howse bush hog and it called for 140/80 gear oil filled it and ran it about 6-8 hours and the next morning I cracked open the fill plug ( it was cool) the gear oil looked almost a semi solid kinda like jello.Is this the norm?

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
Is it a new or used brush hog? If it's new, I would guess maybe some fine metal shavings possibly? If it's used, maybe some crud from the previous oil that was in there.

I know 85-140 oil is pretty thick, but i'm not sure it should have a jello consistency. I might would try maybe running it for a bit and then changing the oil again with another quart of oil.

Stubbyie

Jul 1, 2010
Midcontinent
If that bushhog had or has a leaky gearbox seal I bet somebody has pumped it full of grease out of a grease gun. When you mixed it by using the machine you got the resultant gelled appearance.

Using lube grease is pretty common as it saves pulling the gearbox which involves also pulling the stump-jumper which usually won't come off without a torch and that REALLY kills the seals and usually junks the stump-jumper.

I myself have as a get-by used a pint or two of cheap ($1) 'motor honey' (thick golden syrupy 'oil' of unknown weight--more like flowable grease than oil) from WM poured into the gearbox for a few years before the seals got worse and I had to go to grease-gun grease.

Can't honestly recommend using this process but know that it works and is--in my part of the world, perhaps yours too--almost the universal answer to 'repairing' a shot gearbox seal.

I'd venture a guess that any bushhog over 15-20-yrs old that has been shock-loaded (like cutting saplings and rocks) has had heavier grease of some type put into it.

I've got one 6-footer that was ancient when I got it for nothing and I've been filling it with a tube of grease-gun gease once a year for the last twenty years and it's still running smooth, just leaky.

Curious what you find if take it apart and how you proceed so we may all learn.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I've never seen gear oil look like jello?
I have seen gear oil that if you wanted to pick it up, it would bounce off a wall!:D Almost hard, as if all the wet stuff left and the "wax" was left behind, anytime you want something to last a loooong time, get a synthetic type, costs more but well worth it!

tater pop

Jan 13, 2014
Maud texas usa
Thanks All, I have had trouble getting back on the forum so I did search and found that standard 80/140 gear oil when whiped in a gear box with heat turns into a lot thicker form.