G1800 with D662-E Engine possibly locked up.

dragfan66

Equipment
B7500 Z231KW G1800 L3350DT
Apr 12, 2020
Alabama
Got a bit of a weird one here.

I was mowing for about an hour or so a couple of weeks ago.
Suddenly my rpm's went down and I was able to creep it back to a pole barn before it died.
It puffed black smoke for about 1 second on the way.

Anyway, I thought my problem might be the electric fuel lift pump might have quit.
Then I noticed I had no lights on the dash, nothing working electrical.

The main fuse going to the key switch blown so I replaced it. Got all lights back on, fuel pump and glow plug working.
Hit the starter and blew the new fuse immediately.

Hmm..., tried a bigger fuse (hey it's my machine I can do what I want) ,with same result.

Today, 7-27-24, I went and did a little test. I ran a wire from the battery to the start terminal with a fuse and a pushbutton switch. Fuse blew immediately.

Okay then I tried to turn the flywheel with a tire iron and it will not budge in the only direction I could get leverage on.

I will go back to where it is parked in the next day or two and make sure the starter itself is not locked up.

Of course, oil level is good, don't have a pressure gauge on it, just a light.

Any thoughts on what might be going on?

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
wire shorted or starter shorted take the little wire off of the starter and try to turn key to start. If it blows the fuse again, it's a wiring problem. One wire may be shorted directly to ground, pinched, chafed, whatever.

dragfan66

Equipment
Apr 12, 2020
Alabama
I still haven't made it back to where the machine is located to do some more testing.
But thanks for the responses so far.

dragfan66

Equipment
Apr 12, 2020
Alabama
I finally made it back to where the machine is located this morning.

I touched the starter drive gear as it was semi engaged into the flywheel teeth.
It slid back into disengaged position. The starter turns freely with the pry bar.

I turned the engine with the pry bar and it turned free like you would expect.

I turned on the ignition and the fuel pump runs, glow plugs worked and everything else.
I hit the "start" position and it blew the fuse as before.

I'm thinking the starter solenoid has failed internally.

I guess I will look into buying a new starter and solenoid assembly unless someone might have a little more insight.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
take the smaller wire off of the starter and then put a new fuse in. Try starting the engine with that smaller wire OFF. If it blows the fuse again, you have a short to ground situation somewhere in the wiring. Wiring on these is pretty simple but you have to know at least a little about DC 12v electrical systems.

I have seen a keyswitch short internally too, as well as safety switches and their wirings.

dragfan66

Equipment
Apr 12, 2020
Alabama
My problem is definitely not in the wiring circuit. With the start wire disconnected, I can hold the key in the start position all day long. Connect the wire back up and it blows the fuse immediately.

I completely rewired this machine over last winter including doing away with the "confusion" box.

Anyone on here have a source for used or rebuilt starters and such?

I won't buy a China knockoff, sure can't afford a new Kubota starter.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
My problem is definitely not in the wiring circuit. With the start wire disconnected, I can hold the key in the start position all day long. Connect the wire back up and it blows the fuse immediately.

I completely rewired this machine over last winter including doing away with the "confusion" box.

Anyone on here have a source for used or rebuilt starters and such?

I won't buy a China knockoff, sure can't afford a new Kubota starter.
Have your existing starter rebuilt at a local starter rebuilder shop. Shouldn't be a bid deal.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
You might want to think about getting a newer style gear reduction starter.

Search online or ask your local rebuild shop.

dragfan66

Equipment
Apr 12, 2020
Alabama
I do believe mine is direct drive based on pictures I took the other day and comparing to the parts book.

DB has a gear reduction starter for $107.33 with free shipping, going to order one and I hope it will fit.