Fuel cap for BX1860 maybe plugged?

cerlawson

Equipment
rotiller, box scraper,etc.
Feb 24, 2011
PORTAGE, WI
With 110 hours on this machine I have had it quit running 4 times now. First few times figured I was out of fuel. Dump in more and away she goes.

Next time had at least a half tank, so I figured plugged fuel filters. Dealer keeps many in stock, so maybe that is a common problem. the added fuel put a little more head on the fuel to the first filter.

So with new filters and all fuel replaced with very well filtered fuel (fancy funnel even keeps out water) there maybe was 2 hours on the machine. So then today she quit again after 15 minutes running. Obvious plenty of fuel and only maybe 2 hours on the new filters. So I waited a minute and again she takes off not quitting for the rest of the mowing job (1/2 hr).

Now my guess is there is a plugged cap on the fuel tank. Taking it off to look in each time probably relieved the vacuum. Cap has openings all along the rim, aimed down.

None of the stops took place in the winter plowing snow. Only in warm weather.

Any thoughts?

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
Easy to test --- just leave it loose and see if the problem returns.

Assuming that you have good compression, you need fuel and air for it to run. Nice clean air filter??

Stumpy

Equipment
L175
Dec 1, 2011
NE Ohio
Agreed, certainly sounds like something is causing fuel starvation to the pump and next on the list is the tank drawing a vacuum. Rig it so the cap is loose but you're not sloshing fuel everywhere or allowing dust in and see if it'll pass the one hour mark running. You could also just leave the cap off and let it idle.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
Have you checked to see if the breather vent on the cap is pluged? Take a toothpick and poke around inside the breather vent and see how much crap you get out of it.

navy599

Equipment
BX220 KING KUTTER 48 TILLER. 5 FT REAR BLADE, 2750 SNOW BLOWER, FEL, REAR BAGGER
Apr 30, 2012
Tolono, Illinois, U.S.A.
here is a thought. maybe something in the fuel tank that when under draw finally gets to the outlet. when it stops the drawing pressure is relieved and it slips away. this would account for it being erratic. also sometime in the winter did you add anti-gel. maybe that little silver seal went into the tank without you noticing it.... I had a semi do the same thing and that was what we found with it. just a suggestion..

bruceatlam

Equipment
B20, FEL, box blade, flail mower
Aug 20, 2009
Camarillo, California
here is a thought. maybe something in the fuel tank that when under draw finally gets to the outlet. when it stops the drawing pressure is relieved and it slips away. this would account for it being erratic. also sometime in the winter did you add anti-gel. maybe that little silver seal went into the tank without you noticing it.... I had a semi do the same thing and that was what we found with it. just a suggestion..
Excellent points --------------

Grover

Equipment
BX2350
Jun 11, 2012
Jena,LA
I have a problem similar to this except my tractor is a BX2350, AQnd it runs fine when I first start it, but when it starts to warm up it starts to loose power then looses speed and rattles real bad and finally dies and will not start. The electric pump is pumping well and the air cleaner is new(replaced this year and I checked it, it's clean). any Ideas?

navy599

Equipment
BX220 KING KUTTER 48 TILLER. 5 FT REAR BLADE, 2750 SNOW BLOWER, FEL, REAR BAGGER
Apr 30, 2012
Tolono, Illinois, U.S.A.
I have a problem similar to this except my tractor is a BX2350, AQnd it runs fine when I first start it, but when it starts to warm up it starts to loose power then looses speed and rattles real bad and finally dies and will not start. The electric pump is pumping well and the air cleaner is new(replaced this year and I checked it, it's clean). any Ideas?
How long do you have to wait before it will finally start again?. Here is another idea about these tractors not stating... I wonder if the fuel filters are collapsing on the inside of the filters making not draw fuel? and could be that there is bleed off in the fuel system too when the tractor sits. and when you start it up the engine will run off of the fuel between the pump and the injectors but in actually the pump even though making noise is not drawing fuel. thus when the fuel runs out of the lines it starts starving for fuel and dies....just guessing.. Mark