Fuel additive Startron vs Soltron

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650, loader, MMM, pallet forks, tooth bar, rear blade, JD 318 w/plow, JD X350
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Soltron has been mentioned as a preferred additive for warm weather use. It is hard to find in my area, but Startron is available. The manufacturer claims them to be of identical formulation, and are named differently for marketing purposes. I checked the MDS sheets, and they are not the same. Does anyone have any information on this?

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
You might visit this thread/site to see the remarks by users…. including the one who markets both products:

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
You might visit this thread/site to see the remarks by users…. including the one who markets both products:

Thanks Geohorn, I did go to the site, and read everything. Seems to be a lot of "he said, they said, you said". So, I still don't have a simple answer.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
It is not clear to me if you are referring to GASOLINE additives or DIESEL additives.

In general, there are TWO schools of thought when it comes to water in the fuel:
  1. SUSPEND the water in the fuel so it passes through the fuel-system and ends up as steam out the exhaust.
  2. Make water fall out of suspension so it collects as droplets in the low-areas of fuel-system.
We all know that a DIESEL engine has a water-seperator to capture/remove water...so #2 above may be the best way to go for DIESEL additive.

Of course, there are MANY other goals to fuel-additives:
For DIESEL engines, there are measurable benefits. Perhaps the addition of CETANE is the primary one. Increasing CETANE immediately increases power and fuel-efficiency in a diesel engine.
Also lubricating the pumps and injectors is a good thing.

OF GREAT IMPORTANCE: There is NOTHING which can be added to gasoiline to counter the effects of ethanol alcohol in the fuel. For small-engines, seek out NON-ethanol gasoline or use canned-fuel.

Here are some additional details

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
It is not clear to me if you are referring to GASOLINE additives or DIESEL additives.

In general, there are TWO schools of thought when it comes to water in the fuel:
  1. SUSPEND the water in the fuel so it passes through the fuel-system and ends up as steam out the exhaust.
  2. Make water fall out of suspension so it collects as droplets in the low-areas of fuel-system.
We all know that a DIESEL engine has a water-seperator to capture/remove water...so #2 above may be the best way to go for DIESEL additive.

For DIESEL engines, there are measurable benefits. Perhaps the addition of CETANE is the primary one. Increasing CETANE immediately increases power and fuel-efficiency in a diesel engine.

OF GREAT IMPORTANCE: There is NOTHING which can be added to gasoiline to counter the effects of ethanol alcohol in the fuel. For small-engines, seek out NON-ethanol gasoline or use canned-fuel.

Thank you for the reply. I am referring to Diesel use.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas

Bruce, please forgive…I’m not trying to “jump on you”…. but the comment about “CETANE immediately increases power and fuel-efficiency “….etc etc….repeating the marketing dogma….sounds as if you are a Seller of that snakeoil… In the U.S. …ALL diesel sold meets/Exceeds Kubota’s cetane requirements. Increased Cetane is like excess octane in gasoline….=NO BENEFIT.

Don‘t Waste your Money on “Cetane Improvers”. Kubota states their minumum cetane standard is 45…and Texas (and most other states) have a regulatory minimum of 48…. Sooo…What’s the problem, exactly…?? (other than the typical nuttiness of folks wanting to throw money away at a non-problem…?)

And, BTW, even IF the cetane rating was lower than what Kubota called-for…. it does not mean your engine will be harmed. “Detonation” or “Pre-Ignition” cannot occur in a diesel because the fuel is not injected until the compression-cycle is at the correct point of intended ignition. Even IF the cetane were lower than specified…it would only mean the fuel burns slightly slower resulting in an almost insignificant power loss. If your tractor is still pulling the shredder…you’d never notice… but this is a moot point since states regulate cetane to be higher than your engine mfr specifies.

Water in diesel can Kill your injectors…and it can facilitate biological growths…which can clog filters, injectors, etc, …but More Importantly…contributes to fuel-system corrosion.

Last edited:

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
Soltron has been mentioned as a preferred additive for warm weather use. It is hard to find in my area, but Startron is available. The manufacturer claims them to be of identical formulation, and are named differently for marketing purposes. I checked the MDS sheets, and they are not the same. Does anyone have any information on this?
Maybe this thread (just this week) may be helpful to you? https://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/threads/fuel-fungicide-treatment.68723/

jimh406

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501 with R4 tires
Jan 29, 2021
Western MT
For gasoline, it's better not to use Ethanol fuel. However, there are additives to counter the impact like Sea-Foam or most any fuel injection cleaner. Also, consider using carb cleaner from time to time.

For diesel, I use PowerService Diesel Kleen. They make both a winter and summer formula.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
ALL diesel sold meets/Exceeds Kubota’s cetane requirements. Increased Cetane is like excess octane in gasoline….=NO BENEFIT.
I respect your comments Sir. GeoHorn... however, I believe you are incorrect on some points.

From your comments, I am not sure you understand OCTANE in gasoline.... it is NOT a measure of energy in gasoline. ...Increased OCTANE simply increases IGNITION TEMPERATURE. (reduces pre-ignition)

Kubota states their minumum cetane standard is 45…and Texas (and most other states) have a regulatory minimum of 48….
Are you sure you understand the measure of CETANE in Diesel fuel?
Kubota's declared MINIMUM of 45 is just that.... a MINIMUM. You are assuming additional CETANE is not beneficial. This assumption is inaccurate.

The facts remain -- Up to a point, adding CETANE above the 45 minimum does INFACT add real and measurable energy to diesel fuel. Most diesel engines respond to additional CETANE by using less fuel to do the same amount of work.

Of course, bumping up CETANE over 50 or 60 does not increase engine-efficiency.

I am not trying to change yours.... or anyone elses mind on this subject. The facts are documented time and again with diesel engines under controlled conditions.
Do as you wish.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I think it's already been stated Soltron is for diesel fuel and Startron is for Gasoline.
I read up on all the differences years ago and there are to many to count.
I personally would not replace one with the other.
I get Soltron at NAPA

Here is 2 places online to get it if you can't find it local.
I do it by the gallon and it last years.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I am referring to Diesel use.

OK.... You are asking about DIESEL additives.

Do you not have a WallyMart available?
WallyMart carries Power Service Diesel Additives
Grey bottle in the summer
White bottle in the winter

Power Service also has products for GELLING or MILDEW

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
I think it's already been stated Soltron is for diesel fuel and Startron is for Gasoline.
I read up on all the differences years ago and there are to many to count.
I personally would not replace one with the other.
I get Soltron at NAPA

Here is 2 places online to get it if you can't find it local.
I do it by the gallon and it last years.

Wolfman,

My confusion stems from the FAQ section on the GTR Inc., San Pedro, CA website. They claim that the products are identical. Please see attached

Attachments

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 18, 2018
Texas
I respect your comments Sir. GeoHorn... however, I believe you are incorrect on some points.

From your comments, I am not sure you understand OCTANE in gasoline.... it is NOT a measure of energy in gasoline. ...Increased OCTANE simply increases IGNITION TEMPERATURE. (reduces pre-ignition)

Are you sure you understand the measure of CETANE in Diesel fuel?
Kubota's declared MINIMUM of 45 is just that.... a MINIMUM. You are assuming additional CETANE is not beneficial. This assumption is inaccurate.

The facts remain -- Up to a point, adding CETANE above the 45 minimum does INFACT add real and measurable energy to diesel fuel. Most diesel engines respond to additional CETANE by using less fuel to do the same amount of work.

Of course, bumping up CETANE over 50 or 60 does not increase engine-efficiency.

I am not trying to change yours.... or anyone elses mind on this subject. The facts are documented time and again with diesel engines under controlled conditions.
Do as you wish.
Equally respectful, Bruce….but you’ve misunderstood my previous post. I never claimed increased octane had any energy value. I essentially stated that excess octane (more than any engine needs) had NO Benefit.
….and I was making a crude comparison that excess cetane also has no significant benefit (in my opinion) since Kubota rates their engine output at X-horspower/torque using 45-cetane fuel…. that if any extra cetane is available does not significantly change Kubotas’ power-ratings.

If it makes anyone Feel Better about how they can get more hp/torque by working their Kubota more heavily than Kubota designed and specified….. that is fruitless. (If a little torque is good…. any more is Not necessarily “better”…. it may actually be harmful if it exceeds design spec.)

(but your wallet will be lighter). ;)

YMMV

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Wolfman,

My confusion stems from the FAQ section on the GTR Inc., San Pedro, CA website. They claim that the products are identical. Please see attached
Thanks, I will have to dive deeper into this again.

19thSF

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 1, 2020
Glendale, Rhode Island
Thanks, I will have to dive deeper into this again.
This may be of interest.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This may be of interest.
That is pretty much the same story that I heard from the other side of the coin.
The one post i read in that forum thread that threw me for a loop, " contained benzene and Toluene ".
I can tell you that it contains neither, or they have gotten really good at eliminating the smell and the look and feel of those 2 solvents.
For anyone that has never worked with either of those 2 solvents they have a very unique sweet smell.
And using either of those as a fuel additive would be quite harmful to the engine.

My history with Soltron, quite a few years ago I was working on my L3450 and had the hood off, well the black fuel tank, sun, moisture / water, made the perfect explosion of nasty slime that clogged up the fuel system in short order.
cleaning out the tank and fuel system proved to be futile as every few days it would start all over again.
I did some online research then got a bottle of Soltron and used it, in the matter of 24 hours you could see a noticeable loss of slime in the fuel and It never came back.
I have a 150 gallon fuel tank that I use, and it had slime in it when i first got it.
It's a great tank because it's got a large filler hole so you can see and deal with the insides of the tank.
I sucked and swabbed out everything I could.
I put a little bit of soltron and fuel in it and within a couple days the inside of the tank was completely clean of any slime residue.
I have been using the same tank for years, it sits outside, in the cold, hot, rain, snow and I've never had any issues with fuel contamination.
So I'm sold on using it, as I've seen first had the benefits of use.

WI_Hedgehog

Equipment
BX2370 (impliment details in profile-about)
Apr 24, 2024
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, U.S.A.
I put a little bit of soltron and fuel in it and within a couple days the inside of the tank was completely clean of any slime residue.
My tractor is in a detached building without a heating or cooling system, the building's environment is 60-100°F 80+% humidity. The tractor is used one to two weekends a month. What dosage of Soltron would you suggest?

(I have little experience with diesel engines.)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My tractor is in a detached building without a heating or cooling system, the building's environment is 60-100°F 80+% humidity. The tractor is used one to two weekends a month. What dosage of Soltron would you suggest?

(I have little experience with diesel engines.)
The bottle has the suggested amount on it, using extra has little or no positive benefit.