Friend Wants to Trade....

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
I first really want to thank everyone for responding... this has been super helpful to make my decision not to trade. I had that feeling, but everyone helped solidify what I was feeling.

I am slowly leaning how to use the tractor... I live in Houston and we just had Hurricane Beryl come through and I had 8 massive trees come down. I had fun running the logs and dumping them in a dumpster and somewhat learned how to use the tractor... in addition to getting it stuck and learning how to use the bucket to get myself out :) To make everyone laugh, I ran it in its low gear for a week and literally drove .005 miles per hour until someone asked me why I was running it so slow...turns out, it goes faster... I had no idea. I can only imagine what all the tree guys were thinking as I was slowly tooling around getting the logs moved.

This is the only picture I have off hand. When I get home I take pictures and can post the bucket and forks specifically. For the forks he basically ran a threaded rod (probably 2" or so) through the eyelets that are welded at the top of the bucket, rod went through the holes at the top of the forks and then through the eyelets.

for the others comment, I think this tractor has less than 400 hours on it, and its kept as shown in the picture below, not really in my way
Congratulations! You passed your first operating test. The picture explained your fork situation. That setup has the disadvantage of costing you some of your lifting capacity, since the lift point is further from the fulcrum point. But it has the advantage, as you found out, that the bucket was mounted when you needed its help in getting unstuck.

Since you're using the loader, I'm offering some safety advice, reinforcing some already given. In addition to the tractor manuals already mentioned, there is an Operating Manual for the loader. There is a download for an LA854, which should be similar to your LA853 at least in the operating procedures, available on KubotaBooks.

The front of our tractors is not as stable as the wide set wheels would appear. The front axle is pivoted in the middle, making the front more like the old 3-wheel ATV's that were outlawed. So, when carrying a heavy load out front, it's important to have sufficient weight on the back to offset it.

A few of the most important (in my opinion) points
* Always wear a seatbelt since your tractor has rollover protection. The odds are not favorable for jumping clear in case of a rollover.
* Carry the loaded, or unloaded for that matter, bucket as low as you can. This keeps the center of gravity low for stability. If you have to lift the load high to dump it, do it as late as possible, on level ground, and with the front wheels as straight as possible.
* Watch the load as you lift it, so that you don't dump it on yourself. As the bucket rises, it rolls back unless the operator maintains it level. Some loaders have a self-leveling mechanism to help prevent this, I don't know about yours. People have been seriously injured by having a load of rock or logs dumped on them.
* Last, in the highly unlikely event that your tractor does overturn, do not try to restart it as severe engine damage could occur if certain steps aren't taken. Come ask here and ask what to do.

A few last comments regarding the potential trade. I think your current tractor is your best bet. The only advantage the 3901 might have, besides being newer, would be if it has the quick connect and if it comes with forks. We don't know if it has the hydrostatic transmission HST like your 5030. If not, that would be a definite 'no thanks'.

The advantages of your 5030, as I see it
* You've already started getting familiar with it
* It has ~50% more lifting capacity than a 3901
* It's ~50% heavier than the 3901. This helps give a more stable platform.

Keep up the good work, have fun and be safe.
(BTW, I lived in Houston 21 years. Left hurricane territory only to discover I'd moved into tornado alley.)