Freezing loader cables

rayc

Equipment
kubota L4310 hstc
Apr 26, 2011
prince township , ontario, canada
Hi all, what does one do when your loader cables freeze up? Any tricks? Im thinking of putting 12v heat tracer on the cables right to the control valve and insulating them. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks ray

Kubota_Man

Equipment
BX24, Rear blade, Front blade, Snowblower, 54" MMM, Box scraper, Landscape rake
Dec 25, 2010
Kellogg, Idaho
Are you talking about the hydraulic lines? If so from what I understand it would have to get very cold something like -30°

check out this thread http://www.orangetractortalks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5760&highlight=backhoe+storage

I am not an expert by any means but if your lines froze you may have other issues like contamination in the hydro system.

If you do attempt to thaw them out I would be cautious with the lines by not weakining or melting them.

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
I would try cable lub from the cab down through the line.
If that doesn't work the pull the cable and inspect it for problems.

E/S

rayc

Equipment
kubota L4310 hstc
Apr 26, 2011
prince township , ontario, canada
okay how do you pull the cables, remove the joystick and pull them out or do you have to disconnect things from the valve, sorry new to cable systems. My old skidder was all direct linkages. ray

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Cable lub works, but I have use plain old tranny fluid on every bike I ever had those cable take a lot of abuse it aint pretty it aint clean but it is cheap and works,,, however if the cable is hanging up after you have lubed them I would pull the cable in question and check for a fraied inner cable or a crushed or deformed outer jacket and check where the outer jacket is attached sometimes them buggers will slip back and forth at the retaining clip

E/S

Equipment
2009 M8540HDC 4x4 w/ Cab
Jan 6, 2010
Reno, NV
okay how do you pull the cables, remove the joystick and pull them out or do you have to disconnect things from the valve, sorry new to cable systems. My old skidder was all direct linkages. ray
I would try to shoot the lub down the cable with it installed first. That way you can work it and tell if it helps.
Don't be in to big a hurry to take it apart. Check the clamps and ends first.

E/S

Gundoctor

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota M7040 4x4/ BX2230 4x4/ JD MX 8/ Ford 101 Moldboard 3 bottom Plows -
Boy, do I know what you are going through. I had a Bush Hog loader that frooze up all the time. This is what you do. Take a Dremel tool with a thin cut-off blade. At the lowest point make a cut in the rubber coating under the steel cables. This will let the water to run out. I then put tran-mission oil down the lines from inside the cab and from the control value. Never had any more trouble.

It was +1 this morning here in Vermont .

David Pidgeon

100HP

Jun 17, 2016
Holland Centre
I have the same issue on my M100GS What a pain!!! Both cables freeze up. I use a small hand held torch to warm up the cables to get it going but they freez up again in no time if I dont use the loader. So how do you remove the cables. I see a set screw in there. Once the set screw is backed off, then what? THANX.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have the same issue on my M100GS What a pain!!! Both cables freeze up. I use a small hand held torch to warm up the cables to get it going but they freez up again in no time if I dont use the loader. So how do you remove the cables. I see a set screw in there. Once the set screw is backed off, then what? THANX.
It doesn't look like you need to mess with any set screws.
It's just a couple of hair pins and then nuts on the cable to remove them.
When you get them out you should be able to remove the cable from the shield, flush the shield and cable with brake parts cleaner, then lube the the cable with silicone grease (plumbers grease).

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Disconnect end that has the smaller linkage. Find rubber hose to slip over outer shield of cable. Clamp hose to outer shield. Find a way to adapt hose to a blow gun. Blow some alcohol through and hopefully it will take water out other end. Spray silicone into hose and reconnect blow gun,forcing silicone into shield.
As long as air will go through cable you can force any liquid you want.
I have done this a few times,freed up some sticky cables that would otherwise need replacing.
Experimented with a drill to spin cable, wrong way and cable will flare inside shield. Proved somewhat un successful.