flooded desiel

carhartfarm

Oct 1, 2013
Rathdrum, Idaho
I have a L1501DT it was running fine and all of a suden it stalled. I have not been able to start it since. It just blows black some like it is getting to much fuel. I checked the fuel filter cracked the fuel line going to the injectors, and have fuel there. pulled the injectors out and checked compression 100 + PSI on each cylinder. Checked the return lines off the injectors to the tank, they are clear. Any help at all would be great.
the carhartfarm:confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
When was the last time you fueled it up, was it new clean fuel?
I've run into water or gasoline in the fuel causing issues like this.
Did you bleed the injection pump then the individual injectors?
Being that it's a 2 cylinder it would take but one of the injector to get clogged up to cause it to stall.
Hook up the injectors out of the motor and to the injection pump and check for good spray pattern out of each of them, look for drips afterwards too, that a sign of a bad injector.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
100 PSI is not enough compression to fire a diesel. You need to check comprssion again and post accurate numbers.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
100 PSI is not enough compression to fire a diesel. You need to check comprssion again and post accurate numbers.

carhartfarm

Oct 1, 2013
Rathdrum, Idaho
I only have a compression gage I can hold in the injector hole it reads 100--120 but blows out of the hole because I can't hold it in. So it is probably higher. I will test the injectors spray and try to bleed the pump but not sure how to bleed just the pump.

the carhartfarm

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
Basically it's very,very difficult to flood a diesel engine. I'll bet you low to no fuel flow from fuel tank to inj pump or air in the system

bmisch01

Equipment
b3200
Sep 6, 2013
wellsburg, wv usa
did you check air intake system air filter or colapsed intake hose, black smoke is over fueling, I have seen this before, if tractor has set for a couple days, the critters move in, mice & chipmunks love to build in the air intake system, remember the basics fuel, air & compression, it takes all three, for the tractor to stop running one of the three must be missing, if were a compression problem you would have niticed a low power problem first or hard starting , if the injectors were overfueling you will notice that you are making oil fuel is going into crankcase,I would check intake system first, before going too deep into fuel pump or injectors, good luck

carhartfarm

Oct 1, 2013
Rathdrum, Idaho
I have checked the injectors they are both working fine I am getting fuel into the cylinders and the valves are working OK. When you try ti start it it sounds like a gas engine that the ignition is retarded, like it turns fast then slow like the timing of the valves or ingnition is happening at the wrong time. Is there a way I can check to ensure the cam and injector are in time with the crank? Or is there a timing mark on anything I can use for a reference?

Thanks Carhartfarm:confused:

kuboman

Dec 6, 2009
Canada
I take from your post that all was fine and it just stopped while operating, is this correct? And when you crank it blows smoke but will not fire? Did you try restarting immediately after it stalled? If the answer is yes to these questions then it sounds like a failure in the engine. If you are getting smoke then you are getting fuel so its not a supply issue. It is possible that the intake hose to the air filter collapsed or you sucked in something to plug it.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Pull the valve cover and check the valve train, it's a long shot but it's easy to do.
In order to check that the cam and such are in time it will require you to take the front cover off the motor to see the timing marks.

carhartfarm

Oct 1, 2013
Rathdrum, Idaho
I came to that conclusion also so looking at some Kubota drawings it looks like there are 2 cams one for the fuel and one for the valve train. Can I pull the front cover without hurting any thing or need any special tools to get it back together. Also the large pullley on the crank does it just screw off with the large nut or do you Also need a puller.

Thanks Carhartfarm

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
No real special tools needed, Yes you'll need a gear/pulley puller for the main pulley, you can rent/borrow one at most of the auto parts stores, if you can't let me know and I'll loan you one of mine, we go to CDA just about every weekend. ;)

You can order the few gaskets and seals you need to fix it right back up.

If you need a service manual get one for the L185, it's as close as you can get to your model that I know of.

When you pull off the valve cover let us know if everything in there looks and moves right, or what you think is moving right.

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Are you sure you didn't get a bad batch of fuel where gasoline got mixed with diesel? I have heard of issues at the fuel supplier, as well as the customer himself accidentially getting wrong fuel.

If it was running good and died with black smoke and won't run, I'd suspect gasoline contamination.

olthumpa

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L275
May 25, 2011
Maine
Are you sure you didn't get a bad batch of fuel where gasoline got mixed with diesel? I have heard of issues at the fuel supplier, as well as the customer himself accidentially getting wrong fuel.
Same here.

carhartfarm

Oct 1, 2013
Rathdrum, Idaho
Does anyone know how to set the valve cam timing and the fuel cam timing on a L185/L1501 engine I have the front cover off and they are gear driven off an idler from the crank. The idler has dots a single dot, 2 dots, and 3 dots. Just not sure how to set them.
carhartfarm:confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
This is off of my B7100 but I think yours is the same.

engine timing marks.JPG

carhartfarm

Oct 1, 2013
Rathdrum, Idaho
Thanks so much for the timing diagram. It looks like all the dots on the big idler gear are off by a tooth or 2. But none of the teeth are damaged so nI don't know how it got a tooth or 2 off. I am going to delay putting it back together to see if I can find out why it has jumped timing.

Thanks Carhartfarm;)

DaTow'd

Equipment
what ever it takes to get the job done
Aug 13, 2013
Bella Coma BC Canada
you might have to turn the engine over by hand quite a few times to get all the dot to align with their mate
Hank

Billdog350

Equipment
Kubota L3710 HST,L2230A QT,forks,Takeuchi TB125, 60" Luck Now pto Snowblower
Jan 6, 2014
East Hampton, CT
Carhartfarm, I'll mention it one more time. Before you ASSUME that its a complicated and expensive fix, have you checked my suggestion?

The LIKELYHOOD of jumping teeth on steel gears is FAR less likely than contaminated fuel. The LIKELYHOOD of a sudden loss of compression or whatever on a Kubota is far less likely than contaminated fuel.

Have you checked the fuel? It may not smell drastically different since the new stuff doesn't have much sulphur in it. I'm not sure the exact way to determine besides a simple draining of your fuel tank and bleeding all your lines with fresh diesel from a truck stop or reliable location.

Just a polite suggestion. I hate to see people ripping down motors that are very likely NOT broken.