Flail Mower/weight question

GibbyESS9

Equipment
2020 Bx23s,BX2672 plow, Titan Forks, Land Pride 48” BB, FEL, Bestco Flail mower
Sep 30, 2020
Blue Point NY / Newfoundland PA
Ok so this might be a silly question. I have a Bestco 48 inch flail mower that weighs 515 lbs. I have used it three times this past year maintaining my long driveway and a few trails. I have always used it with the loader on my bx23s. I have read, and remember the dealer telling me never remove the front loader with the backhoe on because it will tip the tractor back. I also have loaded rear tires.

I don't want to learn the hard way, and my question is.....can I remove the front loader and use the flail mower to get in some tighter trails??
Anyone do this?? Thanks in advance.

Jim

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I think you'll be ok. Flail mowers are meant to run in contact with the ground anyway, so you should only be carrying the weight when travelling.

If you find that you can't, just drop the loader bucket and leave the loader frame in place.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Yes you should have no problem with a flail.
The issue with the BH is that a bucket load of dirt extended out really has some leverage, and a couple hundred pounds can because a couple thousand with the leverage force.

eubie5

Equipment
Kubota BX2380, 60" mmm, loader, 54" landpride grapple, box blade, rear blade
Feb 24, 2019
greenville, indiana, USA
Ok so this might be a silly question. I have a Bestco 48 inch flail mower that weighs 515 lbs. I have used it three times this past year maintaining my long driveway and a few trails. I have always used it with the loader on my bx23s. I have read, and remember the dealer telling me never remove the front loader with the backhoe on because it will tip the tractor back. I also have loaded rear tires.

I don't want to learn the hard way, and my question is.....can I remove the front loader and use the flail mower to get in some tighter trails??
Anyone do this?? Thanks in advance.

Jim
How heavy duty flail did you get? Happy with it? Are you cutting just grass or also brush? Does your rig handle it ok?
Been reading everything i can get my hands on about flails. On the fence between flail and rotary cutter.
Looking at either the 41" or 48", in the heavy duty line. Either that or the Everything Attachment 48" rotary cutter. Will be using it in a very wooded area cleaning up the underbrush using a bx2380.

GibbyESS9

Equipment
2020 Bx23s,BX2672 plow, Titan Forks, Land Pride 48” BB, FEL, Bestco Flail mower
Sep 30, 2020
Blue Point NY / Newfoundland PA
I have the Bestco 48 inch flail mower medium duty. I have used it on the side of my private road, and some trails that I cleaned up. I have pushed over 2 inch saplings and it chewed them up better than expected. I have the Hammer blades as I dont really have any finished area/grass on the property. All woods. Never bogged down or anything. Definitely need ear protection.
Private road is 7/8 of a mile. I only have about 5 hours on it so far, but very happy with it.

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
I run my flail with the loader off most of the time. No issue at all.

Flailing weeds.JPG

I can tell you that when the backhoe is on, I can "feel" that the tractor is ready to wheelie just by dropping the bucket off the loader. So, a couple of hundred pounds removed from the end of the loader DOES make a difference when the backhoe is on.

Reactions: 1 user

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Last summer I ran the Del Morino Centurion Super 158 flail with the front loader attached minus the bucket which is something like 400lb. The Del Morino is an hydraulic offset flail and at 820lb there's a fair amount of weight out back so I wanted some weight up front. This spring I plan on making a suitcase weight mounting bracket similar to the one I bought for the M6060 since I now have over 1,000lb of weights that I can use on either tractor. It'll be nice not having to drive around with the loader arms up in the air.

I really enjoy cutting fields like the one shown below. I'm thinking of advertising my services this year with the MX and M running either the flail or Land Pride RCR1884. Eventually I'd like to get a bigger flail for the M.

mx600_dm_10.jpg

mx600_dm_11.jpg

mx6000_dm_14.jpg

mx6000_dm_20.jpg

Reactions: 1 user