“Firsts” for me

K7G

Equipment
L2501HST, LA526 w/ L2248, BB1260, RCR1860, EA Disc Harrow
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
I purchased an L2501 HST in June after asking for advice today. During the purchase process, the dealer noted that they sell a lot of tractors and never see them again. He noted that a good number his customers do their own maintenance.

Add me to the list. Today, I removed the loader, performed the 50 hour service, checked the front axle oil level, cleaned the screen in front of the radiator and re-attached the loader. It all went fairly smoothly.

Looks almost naked without the loader.

IMG_6966.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Good for you!

The 50-hour service isn't hard to do. Of course varies by model, etc.

For that matter, 200-hour service isn't hard to do either. (Hours vary by model too).

Gives you a good understanding on how things work, etc. Mine hasn't been in for any work in 10+ years.

When new, I also assembled my snowblower and front hitch myself, and all went well. Pretty easy stuff. Saved myself couple hundred bucks as I recall.

Reactions: 3 users

K7G

Equipment
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
Good for you!

The 50-hour service isn't hard to do. Of course varies by model, etc.

For that matter, 200-hour service isn't hard to do either. (Hours vary by model too).

Gives you a good understanding on how things work, etc. Mine hasn't been in for any work in 10+ years.

When new, I also assembled my snowblower and front hitch myself, and all went well. Pretty easy stuff. Saved myself couple hundred bucks as I recall.
Yep, all I had to fear was fear itself. 😂

There was a time when I worked on my cars myself. As they got more complicated, the less I did. I remember changing the fuel pump on the side of I-10 when I was stationed in San Antonio. That was around 1978 when everyone I knew carried tools in their trunk.

I also changed the transmission in my Land Rover Series III. I remember getting up at 0500 to work before it got too hot. That was during the summer in Phoenix, around 2004.

Reactions: 2 users

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Yep - similar to me. I've done countless repairs roadside. Always did my own service work.

Got away from it with vehicles getting more complicated.

Your L2501 is pretty simple.

I remember the sizes for the motor oil and hydraulic fluid plugs and most of the nuts/bolts I need to service my BX.... (y)

Reactions: 1 user

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX23SLSB-R-1 plus additions
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
The Auto Industry planned that "more complicated" tactic, in hopes to thin the herd of backyard mechanics. There's too much computer gadgetry anymore, for me to approach a LOT of the stuff.

Reactions: 1 users

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
First time I serviced mine was after mowing a flat field with a bunch of trees in it so I had the ROPs down. Dropped the loader in the bay where I park it, dropped the bush hog in the shed and was headed back to my shop to service it. My father was out on his 9N doing something or other with the carry all and waved me down so I pulled up beside him. He asked what I was doing so I told him and commented it sure looked funny without the loader, nothing on the back, and ROPs down. Felt kind of like driving on oversized 4 wheeler. He said it looked like there was a normal tractor hidden under all that fancy stuff. We agreed we liked the fancy stuff, though.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
They got more complicated and I got more tools....and software 😉
I stopped buying new. Last one I bought new, was a 2004 Q-Cab TRD OffRoad Tacoma. I'll have that the rest of my life if I have anything to do with it.

Soopitup

Equipment
BX23S
Oct 25, 2018
New England
That have the 3.4 in it? Or the 4.0?
IIRC 04 was the last year of the 3.4?

The Auto Industry planned that "more complicated" tactic, in hopes to thin the herd of backyard mechanics. There's too much computer gadgetry anymore, for me to approach a LOT of the stuff.
No way.
Cars got more complicated because the regulations got more complicated. And people wanted more features in their cars.
All this extra stuff makes the cars much more expensive to build. And harder to get the gas mileage they're supposed to.

They generally need less work than they used to. Look at what and how often a service was required 30 years ago vs now. Even putting electric cars aside it's so much less.

I like "older" stuff too, just saying the manufacturers didn't plot it this way.

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
The Petroleum Corporations have deeper pockets of convincing than the Auto Industry sustains.

At any rate, we're striding by leaps and bounds...off topic.

I'm out.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Nice tractor man!

I have only taken my FEL off one time, just for the sake of doing it, though.

Regarding the maintenance, yea its just nuts and bolts I suppose.

The only thing I dislike about changing the oil is that "split pan" design they use.

Now I have to crawl under it to get to the drain plugs instead of using my "oil sucker".

I'm rolling up on my 200 hour maintenance in about 40 hours.

I wonder if Tractor Supply hydraulic fluid is good enough?

85bjdh.gif

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

K7G

Equipment
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
The Petroleum Corporations have deeper pockets of convincing than the Auto Industry sustains.

At any rate, we're striding by leaps and bounds...off topic.

I'm out.
No post police here! Enjoyed the comments. In some aspects ie safety, we’re way ahead of 70s and 80s. Car engines also pump out more hp per displacement also.

The L2501 is fairly simple and I’m enjoying it tremendously. My buddy who lives about two miles away responded to my text last night saying, “Admit it, tractors are just big boy toys.” If you’re not making a living with one, he has a point. Sure makes maintaining our little slice of heaven easier though. I tried to do what I needed to do without one and it was next to impossible.

Tractor Gal

Equipment
BX23D MLB
Oct 30, 2020
NC
Nice tractor man!

I have only taken my FEL off one time, just for the sake of doing it, though.

Regarding the maintenance, yea its just nuts and bolts I suppose.

The only thing I dislike about changing the oil is that "split pan" design they use.

Now I have to crawl under it to get to the drain plugs instead of using my "oil sucker".

I'm rolling up on my 200 hour maintenance in about 40 hours.

I wonder if Tractor Supply hydraulic fluid is good enough?

View attachment 115560
Runs with scissors...since you're saving costs by doing the maintenance, why not go with the "real deal," Kubota Super UDT? That way, you know it's right. Pinching pennies on some of the things can be counterproductive and I am a penny pincher from way back! :) I'm not a mechanic and I don't play one on TV but I surely do enjoy trying to pretend.

Tractor Gal

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Runs with scissors...since you're saving costs by doing the maintenance, why not go with the "real deal," Kubota Super UDT? That way, you know it's right. Pinching pennies on some of the things can be counterproductive and I am a penny pincher from way back! :) I'm not a mechanic and I don't play one on TV but I surely do enjoy trying to pretend.

Tractor Gal
Tractor Gal, I'm pretty sure he was being facetious. Just seeing who was awake!

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
No post police here! Enjoyed the comments. In some aspects ie safety, we’re way ahead of 70s and 80s. Car engines also pump out more hp per displacement also.

The L2501 is fairly simple and I’m enjoying it tremendously. My buddy who lives about two miles away responded to my text last night saying, “Admit it, tractors are just big boy toys.” If you’re not making a living with one, he has a point. Sure makes maintaining our little slice of heaven easier though. I tried to do what I needed to do without one and it was next to impossible.
Remind your buddy there are a lot of folks who drive around in 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks that are not making a living with them also! Big boy toys! Makes the office manager feel manly!

• Haha

K7G

Equipment
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
Remind your buddy there are a lot of folks who drive around in 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks that are not making a living with them also! Big boy toys! Makes the office manager feel manly!
Truth. At our volunteer fire department meetings, I’m one of two who doesn’t drive a pickup truck. When we moved here, I sold my (fast) car for an F150 screw. Great truck, really helped with the big move. Once we were in the house and settled in, it was rarely used for “pickup truck” stuff. I haven’t missed it since selling it some 15 months ago.

East bound and down, loaded up and truckin'
We gonna do what they say can't be done
We've got a long way to go and a short time to get there
I'm east bound, just watch ol' bandit run

IMG_1865.jpeg

Last edited:

K7G

Equipment
May 29, 2023
Aladamnbama
You shouldn't use military/24 hr time. You risk getting flamed as most don't know what you mean!!! :love:
Nah….this is a pretty smart group and besides, Saturday is Veteran’s Day!

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
I stopped buying new. Last one I bought new, was a 2004 Q-Cab TRD OffRoad Tacoma. I'll have that the rest of my life if I have anything to do with it.
I have never bought a new tractor,..... and bought my last new car in 1992......32 years ago!
It is not that I cannot afford it, but simply that buying new, seems like such a waste of money.

Last edited:

Trimley

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 25, 2023
PNW-WA
I have never bought a new tractor,..... and bought my last new car in 1992......32 years ago!
I've never owned a tractor, so my first was not going to be something not properly taken care of (looks dont mean squat) or rode hard, put away wet! 😉

Or modified and/or upgraded.
My butt cheeks in the seat first, I lick the steering wheel.🤪

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users